Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried 4 12's in their GS!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 02:21 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran across an incredible deal. My friend is selling his old system. I could get an

Eclipse Pop-Up video head unit w/ DSP Processer
Pansonic DVD Player
Navigation System
8 disc CD changer
4 JL W6's subs
2 Power Caps
and 2 amps to push the subs for..............
$3500........yes $3500.........

This is the deal of a lifetime and it's for EVERYTHING that I want in my GS. The only thing was, I was wondering if anyone has tried using 4 12's in their GS?? I personally heard this guys 4 12's in his Mercury Cougar and they were INCREDIBLE!! I want to put the 4 12's (AND ALL THE OTHER GOODIES) in my GS and he said we can do it. He said it will be 2 subs like on the ledge and 2 on the sides... Then we're gunna put the CHROME amps in the floor. He said I should run like 148 db's. He's running mid to low 150's right now.

What do Master P and G Money think of this setup? Good/Bad?? I mean for the money, I can't pass it up!! Any suggestions or ideas would help a ton.... I still need to decide if I wanna do this deal or not....... THANKS EVERYONE...

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-09-01, 01:22 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Damn.......Jump on that deal!!!!...Good luck with everything!!!! Let us know how it turns out
Old 04-09-01, 03:41 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question More Info

Justin - If the equipment's in good shape, sounds like a good deal. U could always sell any of the parts U don't use. Need some more info, just outta curiousity. What amps ( power rating ) & caps? The W6's are JL versions of Solobarics & as such, require lots of power. Not sure about 4 of them having the correct airspace to work properly w/o losing most of the trunk. U can put as many woofers as U want in but without the correct power & enclosure ( style & size ), it won't sound worth a d***!! 148 dB seems doable if all the before-mentioned parameters are met & some serious tuning is done. I finally hit over 140 but it took considerable tweaking. I know my enclosure is too small & it has (2) 12's but I need access to my spare. How R U planning on putting two woofers "on the sides?" I could see a W-shaped box for all 4 but that thing would take up alot of the trunk if built to the correct airspace. To create bass, there are 3 parameters involved but U can only have 2 of them at a time. They are: efficency; enclosure size & big bass. U can have big bass out of an efficient enclosure but it'll be big. Consequently, a small box may be efficient but won't produce big bass, at least compared to a larger one with the same woofer & power. Or U can have big bass from a small box but it won't be efficient. This is just physics plus all your stuff needs to work together. Remember that I picked up over a dB just by changing from my Power DVC's to a pair of HX2's - same box & amp but the DVC's R designed for a large ported box - poor research on my part! I'd still get the stuff & go from there!
Old 04-09-01, 07:47 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Justin,

I have to agree with Master G (SPL/SQ Battleship) on this as well. Need the models of the amps, dvd, etc for a complete evaluation. Usually, asking 1/2 of retail is fair for used equipment. Don't forget to get yourself an Optima Battery, especially with the SPL setup. Otherwise, I'd have to say "lock and load!"

Percy
SQ Supercarrier

Originally posted by LexDriver18
I just ran across an incredible deal. My friend is selling his old system. I could get an

Eclipse Pop-Up video head unit w/ DSP Processer
Pansonic DVD Player
Navigation System
8 disc CD changer
4 JL W6's subs
2 Power Caps
and 2 amps to push the subs for..............
$3500........yes $3500.........

This is the deal of a lifetime and it's for EVERYTHING that I want in my GS. The only thing was, I was wondering if anyone has tried using 4 12's in their GS?? I personally heard this guys 4 12's in his Mercury Cougar and they were INCREDIBLE!! I want to put the 4 12's (AND ALL THE OTHER GOODIES) in my GS and he said we can do it. He said it will be 2 subs like on the ledge and 2 on the sides... Then we're gunna put the CHROME amps in the floor. He said I should run like 148 db's. He's running mid to low 150's right now.

What do Master P and G Money think of this setup? Good/Bad?? I mean for the money, I can't pass it up!! Any suggestions or ideas would help a ton.... I still need to decide if I wanna do this deal or not....... THANKS EVERYONE...

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-09-01, 12:21 PM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the advice guys!! I think I'm going to jump on the deal but I'm still workin out the money. (I wasn't prepared to spend all that right now ) As far as the amps go, I'm not EXACTLY sure what they are. I never got around to asking him. I was so impressed by the sound and power, I forgot to even ask!! I know they produced 150's in the db range for him and that they are chromed, if that helps??!! I will call/email him and get the info for you ASAP.

As far as the box goes, it WILL be a W-Shaped box. I was trying to say that before but I wasn't sure quite how to!! Anyways, I know it's going to take up MOST if not ALL of the trunk. But what he said we'd do is make the box in 2 parts. Half of the W would be 2 woofers, which will be in 1 box. The other half of the W would be the other 2 woofers, and that would be in it's own box. So in essance, there will be 2 boxes in the trunk. We will just integrate them so that they will come together to look like 1 W shaped box!! (Like 2 V's coming together to make a W, get it? ) Does that make sense?? All the connectors are going to be "quick connectors" so that I can unhook and take out the boxes in a matter of a few minutes so that I can use the trunk when needed!! Will this work??

Now that you have this added info, do you still think it's going to work? I REALLY want to get that 148db or more if possible. So any advice you have on hooking it up or making the box would be a big help!!

The head unit is the Eclipse pop up face unit with DSP (digital sound processor) and the DVD is the new Panasonic one. I know this will fit in place of my stock head unit. I'm not so sure where I'll mount the 8 disc changer tho. Most likely in the trunk.

Like I said, any advice or help from anyone would be appreciated. This will be a big project and take quite a bit of time to get done right, so your help is appreciated!!

Thanks again everyone...

Justin
Platinum 2G GS4
HOPEFULLY A GS400 DB KING SOON!! LOL

Old 04-10-01, 08:42 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Get It!

Justin - Get the stuff & let us know the specs of the amps; impedances of the woofer & which ones; etc & we can probably help ya hit the 148 U crave!! Just gotta know everything to properly design an enclosure. May have a problem with the quick release part of the box - need to really secure the box to the car to transmit the pressure but I see where some guy ( in this month's Auto Sound & Security ) has a quick-release system so he can use the same AMP RACK in 2 different rydes - nice budget saver, IMO!! Master SQ's right about that Optima & MIGHT need a bigger alternator if those amps are non-regulated like RF's. In other words; a RF will yield more output power if U give it more input voltage which will come from your alternator ( if the car's running ) or the battery if it's not. Keep us informed!