IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help Me Decide - IS350 F-Sport v. 335x or Q50S Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 09:49 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
I cross-shopped all of those vehicles before I leased a IS350 F Sport.

The 335 (m sport) is a superior vehicle and the margin between a Japanese/American and German vehicles is still quite large IMO.

But here I am on a Lexus forum with a Lexus. The payment I have with my IS350 is very reasonable and low enough that I can accept not driving the BMW or Audi for the next year of my lease. Back to Audi/BMW/Mercedes after that though.

Ownership Experience (5200 miles):

Comfort is great, handles poor roads well for a sports sedan. Seats are excellent, probably my favorite part of the vehicle. The entertainment system is terrible, much worse than the idrive system. I don't even bother trying to use NAV, and even the bluetooth doesn't work now. Understeers like crazy on the track, but is very easy to drive and have fun with. 8 speed transmission is ok, but not nearly as nice as the BMW's. Engine is lacking power, needs more torque down low (insert BMW here). Tons and tons of other observations I could list, but most are already listed in previous threads.
+1

I like (and dislike) the same things about my IS350 F-Sport. If Lexus can figure out how to dramatically increase the torque in the next model, I'll consider another. If not, I'll be back in a 335 or S4.

Looking at numbers is deceiving. The numbers say that the IS350 is only down on torque by a small margin. But the key is the RPMs at which max torque is available. With the IS, you have to take it up to 4,800 RPMs to generate max torque. But in the 335, max torque arrives much lower so it feels much quicker off the line. Most of my driving is in the city and I really miss the low-end grunt of the 335.
Old 05-28-15, 10:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketG35
I crossed shopped the ATS, Q50S Hybrid, TLX and the A/S3 before picking the IS350 F. Q50S Hybrid has stronger power. The car pushes you back in your seat when you floor it on the freeway. But I felt like I was driving a big car - steering and interior was what made me feel this way. It just didn't feel as athletic/nimble to me during my test drive, and the interior was strangely too big. The IS automatically made me feel like a better driver, it felt sporty and planted. I do think this is because of the steering and overall size of the interior. Also... - Driver aid/safety/feature standpoint, the Q50 is better equipped. There's just more you can get (but you have to pay for it too). - Exterior I do like the Q50- those headlights/front look pretty mean, and the car looks wide which is nice. Side profile is okay (carries the G theme). - Interior: only okay. It's definitely a bigger car inside - the IS is small - its airy and probably more comfortable for 5 (better cup holder placement!). But the design is nothing special. It just feels less designed compared to the IS. IS is sporty, fresh (get that Rioja Red!) and has a modern style. - Quality/ Reliability: it's a Toyota! Lexus has done a great job with materials/fit/finish. My G35 sedan never felt that special inside (some trim pieces never fit right), and had some mechanical problems probably about 7-8 yrs into its life. Hoping the IS does better. - Resale: Hands down, the IS/Lexus brand trumps the Infiniti. I did a KBB on comparable spec/mileage G35/IS, and I think the IS was about 30-40% higher in value compared to the G35. I had/have a G35 sedan for 13 years now. That was a great car for the time, but the Q50 doesn't seem to have stepped into those shoes very well. It isn't a drivers car - not as sporty, but instead feels more on the luxury end. So if you're into sports vs luxury, and the other factors are important to you, I highly recommend the IS350 F-sport!
Great perspective. I feel the exact same way on the Q50. It's not as good as the G35 (relative to its competitors). The IS350 is really great all around car while I felt the Q50 was a little lacking. I fear Infiniti has really lost its way recently.
Old 05-28-15, 12:19 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Great perspective. I feel the exact same way on the Q50. It's not as good as the G35 (relative to its competitors). The IS350 is really great all around car while I felt the Q50 was a little lacking. I fear Infiniti has really lost its way recently.
Thanks! And absolutely agree about Infiniti. The G35 is the car that saved the brand back in 2002/3, but they seem to have forgotten what made it so great. It was actually a good sport sedan - and instead of cultivating that with the Q50, they let luxury (features/options) and failed technology (steer by wire) take the front seat. They felt they had something to tell consumers with that digital steering (it's Marketable!). All the press have said otherwise. And Infiniti listened and are now trying to get the G37 steering into the Q50. But it may be too late.

I was excited about the Eau Rouge (what a beast!) as that meant the learnings could trickle down to sportier (but less than $100k) consumer versions (ie M3/4 version). But they killed that so there may be little hope.
Old 05-28-15, 12:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The styling of the Q50 does not appeal to me, though my coworker has one (not a hybrid) and is very happy with it. The only reason why I'd get a 3 series is the availability of a manual transmission, which may indeed be enough to sway me on a future purchase.

I'm happy with my IS purchase, though a refreshed GS may also be in my future. We'll see...
Old 05-28-15, 08:46 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd wait for the C450 4MATIC, the options on that thing are pretty sweet
Old 05-29-15, 06:42 PM
n00g7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
I cross-shopped all of those vehicles before I leased a IS350 F Sport.

The 335 (m sport) is a superior vehicle and the margin between a Japanese/American and German vehicles is still quite large IMO. Maybe I'm biased because I've had BMW's in the past, but I truly think they're better enthusiast cars IF equipped right. I also think the 335 (m sport) is the most beautiful of all the comparable sedans. The ATS was not even close, and the Q50S is a nice car but the steering was strange. Infiniti did a good job with the Q50 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to the appropriate shopper.

But here I am on a Lexus forum with a Lexus. The payment I have with my IS350 is very reasonable and low enough that I can accept not driving the BMW or Audi for the next year of my lease. Back to Audi/BMW/Mercedes after that though.

Ownership Experience (5200 miles):

Comfort is great, handles poor roads well for a sports sedan. Seats are excellent, probably my favorite part of the vehicle. The entertainment system is terrible, much worse than the idrive system. I don't even bother trying to use NAV, and even the bluetooth doesn't work now. Understeers like crazy on the track, but is very easy to drive and have fun with. 8 speed transmission is ok, but not nearly as nice as the BMW's. Engine is lacking power, needs more torque down low (insert BMW here). Tons and tons of other observations I could list, but most are already listed in previous threads.

Best of luck!
I've had several BMWs... '04 3 Series, '08 550i M-Sport Manual, '10 E90 M3 DCT. The M3 was a dream to drive, the leather was awesome, it screamed at the track, and was the most reliable (lol) while I owned it at least. But here's the thing, literally everything else about owning a BMW sucks. I was driving a base 1 Series or base 3 Series at least once or twice a month while owning the 550i. I got the 550i because literally everything on the '04 3 series took a dump.

You'd have to pay me to drive a regular 3 series again, and I'm not super inclined to drop $75k on an M3/4 with a turbo in it, so, I guess I'm done with BMWs.

Dealerships suck.
Maintenance sucks.
Interior rattle sucks.
Tires suck.
Plastic everything on mechanicals, sucks.

I could go on. For a lease you don't care so much I guess, but it's infuriating to have your 80k 550i at the dealer for two weeks waiting on a drive shaft and they give you a faux leather 1 Series. At least the loaners at Lexus are nice inside.

.02c