IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question on Lexus IS's awd performance on snow

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 11:19 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only speak to it on my GS (same system) and i will say my girlfriends front wheel drive CT drives better in the snow but at the same time i want the best of both worlds rather than a car that feels like its FWD (Audi). I prefer a system that feels like a RWD car most of the time with a little help going to the front wheels. So its not a beast in the snow (most FWDs are probably better) but its perfectly capable especially with a driver familiar with how to drive in these conditions.
Old 04-04-15, 11:33 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I can only speak to it on my GS (same system) and i will say my girlfriends front wheel drive CT drives better in the snow but at the same time i want the best of both worlds rather than a car that feels like its FWD (Audi). I prefer a system that feels like a RWD car most of the time with a little help going to the front wheels. So its not a beast in the snow (most FWDs are probably better) but its perfectly capable especially with a driver familiar with how to drive in these conditions.
Good point. This is a good selling point for me as well as I am used to RWD (my 1IS and 2IS). I don't mind oversteering in controlled condition.

Another comparison is Infiniti Q50 AWD. It goes to a more extreme - 100% power is sent to the rear wheels when all wheel drive is not needed. When AWD is needed, power is also 50/50 split between front and back wheels. Some people argue this might be too late for the AWD to trigger though.
Old 04-05-15, 06:28 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tires are the key with any type of car or drivetrain. You want safety and good performance in snow, get a winter tire and wheel set up!
Old 04-05-15, 08:47 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy1976
Tires are the key with any type of car or drivetrain. You want safety and good performance in snow, get a winter tire and wheel set up!
+1 Well said
Old 04-05-15, 03:10 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
This is my first car with full-time AWD and here is my take. I have a dedicated set of winter tires on 17" wheels (Michelin X-Ice Xi3)

I find the full time AWD in IS works pretty well except it will still have some slight fishtailing if you turn a corner at a sightly higher speed on a thicker snow pile. 3IS is still rear wheel biased as 70% torque goes to rear wheels. After the 1st snow in the first winter when 3IS was launched, I literally saw quite a number of 3IS sitting in a body shop lots and all of them were AWD. Just like in a ditch, you seldom saw RWD cars in winter. I guess overconfidence is easily associated with cars with AWD. So still caution is advised.
I find the drivers of AWD cars/SUV a little more careless as they think they are invincible and get themselves In a jam by going too fast or waiting too long to brake. I always say, it's may be all wheel drive to take off, but you still need to stop and once your foot is off the gas pedal, AWD doesn't mean much.
Old 04-06-15, 08:02 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I find the drivers of AWD cars/SUV a little more careless as they think they are invincible and get themselves In a jam by going too fast or waiting too long to brake. I always say, it's may be all wheel drive to take off, but you still need to stop and once your foot is off the gas pedal, AWD doesn't mean much.
I totally agree. Some drivers of AWD are simply driving way too fast on road piled with snows and ice. I mean the speed difference compared to others on the road is too big which is dangerous.

AWD only makes you less stuck in heavy snow. The grip is a factor of tires. Overconfidence is common in AWD drivers.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/the-5-most...driving-myths/
Old 04-06-15, 11:21 AM
LexusFirst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. AWD HELPS maximizing the traction between all four tires and the driving surface( better acceleration), getting in a corner faster and more precisely, getting back control of the car when the car slides........might be more
2. AWD doesn't avoid sliding sideway in a turn. It only minimizes it. .....Physics
3. Stopping mainly depends on the right tires and the help of ABS

I think most AWD drivers only know the first point. It is not mandatory for people to learn these. However, I suggest all driving school to teach these nowadays.
Nevertheless, the most important thing is to drive safe.

Last edited by LexusFirst; 04-06-15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 01:39 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AWD checking in. OEM rubber is pretty crummy, but winter tires and it's great.

I bought Falken Eurowinter tires, they aren't very good IMO, but still better than all seasons and a set of 18's was under $600.