IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Door ding question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-15, 01:58 PM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door ding question

Picking up my daughter at school I watched as a kid getting into Daddy's MB Suv, hit my door. The guy said,oh yea there is kit for that. I responded that it is a new car and I am getting a quote from the dealer.
Is it unreasonable to expect it to look perfect? I think he is hoping I will go the cheapo route. Thoughts?
Old 03-19-15, 02:09 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Hopefully, you can get PDR at a fairly minimal cost. I would hope that daddy Mercedes would pay for it. Did you tell him that you expected him to pay for it?
Old 03-19-15, 03:13 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there's a kit for it, I want to know what it is and how much $$.

Have him fix it since he's seems to sound sure it's gonna come out perfect with whatever kit he's referring to.
Old 03-19-15, 03:25 PM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Hopefully, you can get PDR at a fairly minimal cost. I would hope that daddy Mercedes would pay for it. Did you tell him that you expected him to pay for it?
Yes,he knows he is on the hook,as his kid is in my daughters class and we all saw it.
Old 03-19-15, 03:33 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindenlea
Yes,he knows he is on the hook,as his kid is in my daughters class and we all saw it.
Maybe this will put your mind at ease. I have had 2 experiences with PDR and both produced perfect results. I used to have an '04 Acura TL. It got hit by a football right on the severe crease that runs down the side of the car. It caused a very distinct dent. It was painful for me to look at - PDR fixed it perfectly. But, they (whoever the dealer used) drilled a hole in the door jamb and I didn't know any better at the time, but you want to avoid that, if possible. So, find somebody that will do "no drill" PDR. Good Luck!!
Old 03-20-15, 06:52 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dent Doctor around you at all? They seem to do a really good job on dings, especially when it is not on a bend in the metal. Had an X3 that the ding was right on the ridge and they did a near perfect job... was not too expensive
Old 03-20-15, 08:35 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

This dismissive type of response would **** me off more than the door ding itself. Unfortunately, there is not a kit to fix stupid or self-absorbed jerk offs who give people door dings. The worst one for me was when I was sitting in my car and the rag next to me opened her door into my car so hard that it rocked the car. When I confronted her, she said, "it's just a car." It was also just a car without a door ding up to the time your careless *** decided to park next to me.

Anyway, hopefully your door ding is not too bad. There are a lot of PDR options out there. I would look at reviews and choose one. If your paint is chipped, that's another issue that PDR folks may not be able to fix.
Old 03-20-15, 09:18 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
This dismissive type of response would **** me off more than the door ding itself. Unfortunately, there is not a kit to fix stupid or self-absorbed jerk offs who give people door dings. The worst one for me was when I was sitting in my car and the rag next to me opened her door into my car so hard that it rocked the car. When I confronted her, she said, "it's just a car." It was also just a car without a door ding up to the time your careless *** decided to park next to me.

Anyway, hopefully your door ding is not too bad. There are a lot of PDR options out there. I would look at reviews and choose one. If your paint is chipped, that's another issue that PDR folks may not be able to fix.
Yea no kidding, it's those people that open their doors fully extended just to use only 10% of that space to get out of their car. Same deal with a narrow street with only 2 lanes, San Francisco for example, seriously now some people swing their doors wide open stopping traffic in all directions.
Old 03-20-15, 11:55 AM
Lindenlea
Rookie

Default a good result

Happy to report that the door dinger is stepping up and having his insurance company pay for the total repaint and repair of the door! When I sent him the Lexus body shop quote,he agreed to pay the full freight and do the right thing. Thanks for all the good support.