IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire Rotation of F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 09:18 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tire Rotation of F-Sport

Do we have to reprogram our TPMS to register the correct wheel to corner when we rotate our tires side to side?
Old 03-09-15, 09:58 AM
cherk947
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tires are directional so you cannot rotate them. One reason you only get 15,000 miles per set
Old 03-09-15, 11:18 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cherk947
The tires are directional so you cannot rotate them. One reason you only get 15,000 miles per set
this is not guaranteed. it depends on your driving style and frequency of it. i don't thrash my car on the track every weekend using the factory tires. if so they wouldn't last the race and ride home.. mine is a 20/40/40% city/hwy/suburbs driving. i've done 14 months so far @ 19k miles and still have plenty of tread left.

Originally Posted by dnasians
Do we have to reprogram our TPMS to register the correct wheel to corner when we rotate our tires side to side?
i do not believe you have to recalibrate your TPMS when you rotate them, only when you do something which releases the air like changing the tire. but rotating shouldn't be a probably. on the F sport RWD, you can't rotate as the tires are staggered (fronts are 8, rears are 8.5) and directional (forward facing). if you in the future decide to get asymmetric or symmetric all season or summer tires, those you can rotate side to side only (due to the staggered setup).

now if you have the F Sport AWD, you'll more than likely have all season tires which may or may not have asymmetric or symmetric tires. my guess is you do, and are able to rotate side to side, front to back and diagonally because the width is all the same (f and r are 8 wide).
Old 03-09-15, 11:21 AM
proview3r
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So with stock tires on the IS 350 FSport AWD, you can rotate them?

If it's a staggered set up, the front tires probably wear out faster than the rears, at that point do you replace all four tires or just the front?

Last edited by proview3r; 03-09-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-09-15, 11:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by proview3r

If it's a staggered set up, the front tires probably wear out faster than the rears, at that point do you replace all four tires or just the front?
I think its reverse for mid/high powered RWD cars. The rears tend to go out faster. My G35 (notorious for tire wear) could go through rears at 14k and fronts at 20k.
Old 03-09-15, 12:17 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think its reverse for mid/high powered RWD cars. The rears tend to go out faster. My G35 (notorious for tire wear) could go through rears at 14k and fronts at 20k.
this is because there is more power being put on the rear tires, thus they'll go quicker. the tires have two purposes depending on the type of drive (FWD, RWD, AWD), but in essence, the wheels/tires are suppose to steer as well as make contact with the road. the axle(s) which generate the power, those tires will have suffer the effects and wear quickly. on RWD cars the rears will fade quicker than the front because the rear axle and tires are where it accelerates the car. the front suffer not by much, unless you induce massive understeer (and oversteer possibly) constantly. in the FWD car, the fronts take a beating because it does double duty of steering and propelling the car. awd will give you an even effect though most are still biased towards the rear, but this depends on the power distribution, though most AWD cars send most of the power to the rear.

again it depends on driving style, application, and conditions. i'm hitting almost 20k and still have plenty of tread on my RWD 350.

I can't recall but i'm pretty sure i remember reading the AWD is all season, which most typically are symmetrical/asymmetrical tires. if this is the case, yes, you can rotate them in the three combinations i mentioned--but again this can only be done if you meet the two conditions, your four wheel widths are the same, and the tires are sym/asym. if staggered (RWD), with sym/asym tires, you can only rotate side to side bc the fronts have the same widths and the rears share the same widths.
Old 03-09-15, 12:24 PM
proview3r
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
this is because there is more power being put on the rear tires, thus they'll go quicker. the tires have two purposes depending on the type of drive (FWD, RWD, AWD), but in essence, the wheels/tires are suppose to steer as well as make contact with the road. the axle(s) which generate the power, those tires will have suffer the effects and wear quickly. on RWD cars the rears will fade quicker than the front because the rear axle and tires are where it accelerates the car. the front suffer not by much, unless you induce massive understeer (and oversteer possibly) constantly. in the FWD car, the fronts take a beating because it does double duty of steering and propelling the car. awd will give you an even effect though most are still biased towards the rear, but this depends on the power distribution, though most AWD cars send most of the power to the rear.

again it depends on driving style, application, and conditions. i'm hitting almost 20k and still have plenty of tread on my RWD 350.

I can't recall but i'm pretty sure i remember reading the AWD is all season, which most typically are symmetrical/asymmetrical tires. if this is the case, yes, you can rotate them in the three combinations i mentioned--but again this can only be done if you meet the two conditions, your four wheel widths are the same, and the tires are sym/asym. if staggered (RWD), with sym/asym tires, you can only rotate side to side bc the fronts have the same widths and the rears share the same widths.
If that's the case with the rear tires wearing out faster, what do you do when it comes time to replace the rear? Do you replace all four tires or just the rear?
Old 03-09-15, 12:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my 06 IS wore evenly on both axles, thats pretty unusual for a RWD car. I got 20-25k miles easily out of summer tires
Old 03-09-15, 01:16 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If that's the case with the rear tires wearing out faster, what do you do when it comes time to replace the rear? Do you replace all four tires or just the rear?
With my S2000, the rears always went first. I just replace the rears, no need to replace all if the fronts are still meaty.
Old 03-09-15, 03:04 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

The AWD has all seasons, but the tires are staggered. Not sure if they are directional. Just including new tires every 2 years as price of owning the car.
Old 03-09-15, 03:34 PM
cFoo
Driver

In Canada, the 350 AWD get staggered Bridgestone Turanza EL400, they're symmetric so I guess you can rotate them left to right. But I doubt that will do anything unless your alignment is completely messed.
Old 03-10-15, 05:45 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

if the front still have 50% tread or more then you can still use them, just replace the rears. if less than 50% you won't have much mileage left so you might as well replace all of them now.

if your fronts are around 50% to get the most out of the fronts even more, rotate the fronts side to side every 3-5k miles. this way it'll wear more evenly. since we drive on the right lane in the US, the majority of our turns are right turns, right on ramps, right off ramps, thus the left tire takes a lot of the beating. the ensure its balanced, rotate often. i know, i know, if you don't have your own lift and air tools, its a pain the a$$. i just went out to home depot and bought a ryobi impact driver (and drill combo $100) and some 1/2 inch deep impact sockets ($20) and a 1/4 to 1/2 inch socket extender ($7) and a torque wrench (sale $40) to help make the process simpler and faster . most sedans the wheels are torqued at 80-100 lbs. i think the combo driver is up to 125lbs., and another individually sold driver up to 200 lbs. anyways, the combo driver should be enough. see video below..
Old 03-10-15, 06:32 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
if the front still have 50% tread or more then you can still use them, just replace the rears. if less than 50% you won't have much mileage left so you might as well replace all of them now.

if your fronts are around 50% to get the most out of the fronts even more, rotate the fronts side to side every 3-5k miles. this way it'll wear more evenly. since we drive on the right lane in the US, the majority of our turns are right turns, right on ramps, right off ramps, thus the left tire takes a lot of the beating. the ensure its balanced, rotate often. i know, i know, if you don't have your own lift and air tools, its a pain the a$$. i just went out to home depot and bought a ryobi impact driver (and drill combo $100) and some 1/2 inch deep impact sockets ($20) and a 1/4 to 1/2 inch socket extender ($7) and a torque wrench (sale $40) to help make the process simpler and faster . most sedans the wheels are torqued at 80-100 lbs. i think the combo driver is up to 125lbs., and another individually sold driver up to 200 lbs. anyways, the combo driver should be enough. see video below..
Ryobi 18V Li-Ion Cordless Electric Impact Driver Remove Lug Nuts - YouTube
Ryobi 18V Li-Ion Impact Driver and Drill Unboxing - YouTube
Just to clarify - you intend to rotate directional tires without dismount/remount and tpms reset?
Old 03-10-15, 06:51 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What tire that come on these cars OEM are directional? The ER 33 are not on my RWD F-sport.
Old 03-10-15, 07:02 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mello03
What tire that come on these cars OEM are directional? The ER 33 are not on my RWD F-sport.
Our previous two ISs had directional tires on them - I'm gonna have to take a closer look at our 3IS to confirm whether or not they're diectional (wife just took the car to work).

I didn't pay that much attention when we picked this one up - if the tires are not directional, will probably just switch back and forth like Savy's suggesting.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation of F-Sport