IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Aftermarket wheel and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 08:33 PM
rxqd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket wheel and TPMS

Has anyone successfully install TPMS on aftermarket wheel for 2015 IS 250 Fsport? I just install some new rims and after awhile the TPMS symbol pop up. Did you use aftermarket TPMS or OEM ones?
Old 03-04-15, 08:42 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxqd
Has anyone successfully install TPMS on aftermarket wheel for 2015 IS 250 Fsport? I just install some new rims and after awhile the TPMS symbol pop up. Did you use aftermarket TPMS or OEM ones?
I'm interested in this as well and want people's opinions on it , I know some people just leave it alone with the tpms light on ! But would like to put the sensors on , how much do they usually go for ?
Old 03-04-15, 09:58 PM
Nick319
Driver School Candidate

I purchased new rims and tires and had new OEM sensors installed. I still got the error code because the new sensor codes needed to be loaded into the car's ECU since the car didn't recognize them. Most 2014 models can automatically detect new sensors, however, mine wasn't equiped with the feature. I had to go to a local tire shop and they programmed the car for me.
Old 03-04-15, 10:43 PM
Kwik8276
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick319
I purchased new rims and tires and had new OEM sensors installed. I still got the error code because the new sensor codes needed to be loaded into the car's ECU since the car didn't recognize them. Most 2014 models can automatically detect new sensors, however, mine wasn't equiped with the feature. I had to go to a local tire shop and they programmed the car for me.

How much did they go for if you don't mind me asking ?
The following users liked this post:
IS250_6MT (09-21-19)
Old 03-05-15, 06:43 AM
whoweedo
Driver School Candidate

ive had two sets of rims....i kept my OEM sensors in my OEM wheels. i bought a whole new OEM set of tpms for my aftermarket wheels. write down the serial numbers of the sensors and i mounted them on my wheels with the metal tie straps from White Knight. has worked flawlessly on both sets. once its programmed to the new sensors the sensors automatically get picked up by the car and knows which corner is which.

I think i paid like $270ish for all new OEM tpms sensors...and $40 for the metal tie straps for mounting
Old 03-05-15, 07:21 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Purchased an identical set off ebay and took it to Discount Tire to have them program them. They were having issues getting it to read so I thought I got crap ones. Read up on it a bit and took it back, this time to program them as if my car were a 2014 Camary. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-05-15, 08:10 AM
IC350
Rookie

hey Guys im also putting OEM TPMS to my new aftermarket wheels. I bought them from ebay USED for 70$ so lets hope they works !

Link :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231430211513?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-05-15, 12:50 PM
Tai3IS
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased my TPMS sensors right from TireRack. It was $204 for all four sensors. Kind of tough to find on the site though. Just make like you're look for wheels for your exact car (enter in the year make model info), then just select any wheel. There will be a tab that says TPMS. Click that and add to cart. Just make sure to select the correct year, make, and model. The sensors i got from TireRack are the exact same manufacturer as the OEM factory ones from Lexus.

Then you just have to have them installed on your new wheels and have them programmed. Most asian cars require that new sensors be programmed into the vehicle. My old Subaru and my old Hyundai required me to go to either the dealer or a tire shop to have new sensors programmed into the car. Don't understand why they can't adopt the same systems that most European cars use. For example, Audi and Porsche, when you install a new TPMS sensor, all you have to do is drive a couple miles and the system automatically finds and registers the new sensor into the car.

As far as installation, most wheel companies now have wheels that can accept factory TPMS sensors. I would try to avoid using any sort of strap kit for a tire sensor. I've seen a few of these kits fail and then your sensor is just flying and bouncing around the inside of your tire.
Old 03-05-15, 06:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

bc the technology changes, the TPMS has to change with it. the reason they need to be programmed to the car is bc they read and report real-time pressure per corner, unlike the 2nd gen IS where it only shows a light when one of the tires are low leaving you to guess which one is bad.

my acura TSX automatically learns new sensors but doesn't have real-time reporting. it's a pro and con for both. eventually the technology will catch up and will be able to learn automatically, but i'm afraid it's also a marketing plot to get you back into the dealerships!

back to the topic, does anyone know if we have the option to store two codes? for aftermarket and OEM wheels so we don't have to keep reprogramming? this should be the case for folks with winter wheel sets!
Old 03-05-15, 07:11 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
bc the technology changes, the TPMS has to change with it. the reason they need to be programmed to the car is bc they read and report real-time pressure per corner, unlike the 2nd gen IS where it only shows a light when one of the tires are low leaving you to guess which one is bad.

my acura TSX automatically learns new sensors but doesn't have real-time reporting. it's a pro and con for both. eventually the technology will catch up and will be able to learn automatically, but i'm afraid it's also a marketing plot to get you back into the dealerships!

back to the topic, does anyone know if we have the option to store two codes? for aftermarket and OEM wheels so we don't have to keep reprogramming? this should be the case for folks with winter wheel sets!
Nope can't store codes on the 3is like you can on the 2 but you can have the second set pre programmed with the exact same numbers as the oem sensors for seasonal swaps. Not sure how to figure out those numbers though (most likely it involves the stealership) I'm sure someone else can chime in.
Old 03-06-15, 07:29 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwik8276
I'm interested in this as well and want people's opinions on it , I know some people just leave it alone with the tpms light on ! But would like to put the sensors on , how much do they usually go for ?
Your TPMS light is on? Mine isn't. I guess it just depends on the shop that installs the wheels. I didn't pay extra for them or anything but they transferred over to my CV5s from my stock wheels.
Old 03-09-15, 11:41 PM
Tai3IS
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

On all Porsche cars the sensors are automatically learned and they also display realtime pressure data.

As for a solution to storing two sets of sensors, the 3IS can't do it.

But this is what I did. I bought an ATEQ QuickSet tool. Really simple to use. google it and you'll find a good amount of material on it.

Here's a video of how simple it is to setup and use:

With this tool I can now swap from my stock wheels to my aftermarket wheels without having to go to a tire shop or the dealership.