IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Autocross Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 09:45 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Autocross Questions

3 questions for those who have autocrossed or tracked their cars...

1. What tires did you run? While the OEM bridgestones are "sport", they are far from a sport tire. What would you recommend running?

2. Big Brake Kits. What big brake kits are available for the car? I would contemplate on running the brake package from the IS-F, but if there is a better kit, what is there? I know a lot of Camaro SS guys run ZL1 or CTS-V brake kits without a problem. Is there a Lexus option or proven aftermarket offering?

3. Sway bar packages. Who makes the best set? Anyone make a tunnel brace package? Or a strut tower brace package?

And before you say it...no...stock is not adequate

Thanks!
Old 12-03-14, 10:46 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I auto-x'd my Evo regularly, as well as my 911 when I was in Hawaii.

For tires, I always used Dunlop Direzza ZII (or Z1) Start Spec. Awesome tires for auto-x, great sticky compound when warm, great road mannerisms, and lasted a long time.

For auto-x, you really don't need big brake kits, just good brake pads (I always used Racing Brake RB500 pads and ATE super blue/gold fluid).

Not sure if they make sway kits for Lexus, but I used Whiteline sway bars on both cars and they worked great.
Swift makes good kits too, so might want to check them out.
Old 12-04-14, 04:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost808
I auto-x'd my Evo regularly, as well as my 911 when I was in Hawaii.

For tires, I always used Dunlop Direzza ZII (or Z1) Start Spec. Awesome tires for auto-x, great sticky compound when warm, great road mannerisms, and lasted a long time.

For auto-x, you really don't need big brake kits, just good brake pads (I always used Racing Brake RB500 pads and ATE super blue/gold fluid).

Not sure if they make sway kits for Lexus, but I used Whiteline sway bars on both cars and they worked great.
Swift makes good kits too, so might want to check them out.
Thanks for getting back to me.

I'll look into those tires. See about perhaps even getting a second set of wheels, that way I don't have to worry about swapping.

As for hte big brake kit, sure, you MIGHT not need them. The question was more, can teh IS-F brake kit fit on the 2015 IS350?

And thanks, I'll look into those suspension companies.
Old 12-04-14, 06:56 AM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 321 Posts

1. I personally use Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I've seen other IS members using Bridgestone RE11s and Continental ExtremeContact DW tires (as far as street tires are concerned).

2. Here's a thread regarding BBK options for the 3IS which might give you some additional insight: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...third-gen.html

3. TRD Japan offers an upgraded sway bar set and additional chassis support specifically tuned for the 3IS but they are pricey:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/20/2...gets-trd-bits/
Old 12-04-14, 10:08 AM
4WDrift
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CL noob, see profile for sig.

Gary

Originally Posted by Swacer

Not the IS, but 20 yrs track / autox worth starting with an '81 Accord.

1. What tires did you run? While the OEM bridgestones are "sport", they are far from a sport tire. What would you recommend running?

What class do you want to run? You'll probably pick Stock, Street Touring or Street Modified depending on your car. See http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...s/Solo_FAQ.pdf and http://www.scca.com/assets/2014%20So...nd%20links.pdf. Street Touring doesn't allow DOT R Compounds http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...lay.jsp?type=C but all other classes do if you're going to get a spare rim set.
Otherwise something from the Extreme or Max Perf Summer categories, an Asymmetric (not Unidirectional unless you're doing watercrosses ) with a solid outer shoulder for cornering. And get a helmet or borrow the loaners if available. http://www.scca.com/assets/2014_Solo...ert_decals.pdf

2. Big Brake Kits. What big brake kits are available for the car? I would contemplate on running the brake package from the IS-F, but if there is a better kit, what is there? I know a lot of Camaro SS guys run ZL1 or CTS-V brake kits without a problem. Is there a Lexus option or proven aftermarket offering?

Brakes won't be a problem on most autocross lots, can't generate enough heat to overpower them. Just use either the F Sport pads or an autocross (not road race) compound. Brake kits and springs / sways will throw you out of Stock class.

3. Sway bar packages. Who makes the best set? Anyone make a tunnel brace package? Or a strut tower brace package? And before you say it...no...stock is not adequate

Do you have track experience? (if yes disregard) If not, then stock IS adequate, because you're trying to learn the car and hipo driving itself. You don't go to the double black diamond cliff with the best snowboard if you've never snowboarded before. (not the best analogy for now) Instead you try something in the middle, which is where your car's performance will show you where you need to improve w/o biting back too hard. Why, because the handling / traction curve with modded suspension, sticky tires, etc is much steeper with a dropoff of no return moreso than stock which is gentler and much more recoverable, see Google. Any racer will tell you this. It's actually more fun driving stock if the course has some high speed sections for either 4 wheel or Tokyo drifting. Do not mod the car first, mod the driver. After you get familiar, then mod. In time, my son.

Thanks!

Last edited by 4WDrift; 12-04-14 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 06:05 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

3. Sway bar packages. Who makes the best set? Anyone make a tunnel brace package? Or a strut tower brace package?

And before you say it...no...stock is not adequate

Thanks!
1. As stated, depends on what class. If you have to use street tires I'd use RS3s. If you can use R-comps, take your pick based on track. If purely autocross, go with super sticky A6 compound.

2. You absolutely 100% will not benefit from a BBK in any way autocrossing. I do regular lap days with 45 minute hot lap sessions coming down from 130mph and have never needed more brake. It would be a total waste of money.

3. Swaybars are complete preference. The only option was pointed as as being TRD or you could get some custom made. None of this should have much of an impact on your autocross times though.

Mike
Old 08-02-19, 06:46 AM
Shubhankar
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm planning to autocross my 350 AWD F sport this weekend. It'll be my first autocross and the car is completely stock. Any last minute tips or suggestions for future autocross events?
Old 08-02-19, 08:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Stock is adequate.

Especially if you're just learning. You want to start with the crappiest car possible in terms of tires, brakes, suspension etc. Slow helps too. This helps you focus on your lines and technique rather than hamfisting it. Slow is fast in autocross.

Back in my day on the autocross field, there were a ton of modded miatas, modded mustangs, even a porsche 911 gt3. modded.

Then this kid came... people kinda giggled. Stock Lexus IS200 (the first gen one). He f'ing mopped the floor with the entire field and was consistently the fastest. Bone stock. standard tires. He just had excellent technique and danced around the cones with elegance. I'll never forget. was a black IS200. scrawny kid. bone stock IS. The porsche gt3 was the second fastest (guy gave me a ride) i was like # 7 or so. about 30 cars that day. that kid was way way way faster though.

I have a ton more stories like this too. i had heavy heavy canyon experience in my day. i had a buddy that would roast 911s on a particular downhill road in the socal mountains... in a stock.. get this... 1988 Corolla. nope not the sporty tofu one. bone stock 4 door grandma 4 speed auto. blue cloth seats. gear shift that was a foot tall. bone stock. hub caps and all. super skinny tires. he took full advantage of the lightness and every line of every corner. i think that car had like 100 hp. car had 2 feet of body roll too and half a foot suspension travel (i'm not kidding when i say stock)

So don't assume you need GRR BRO MODS to do any kind of competitive driving. get fast first, then get faster.
Old 08-02-19, 11:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Stock is adequate.
So don't assume you need GRR BRO MODS to do any kind of competitive driving. get fast first, then get faster.
I 100% agree. I've never done autocross, but just from driving for fun in general, you won't know what mods you need/want until you drive the car and see how it does (and how YOU do). You can make observations and see what is the limiting factor - most of the time, it'll be the driver. Just see how you do, and go from there. Won't know until you try.

Now, obviously the best bang-for-the-buck mod for most applications is tires. At any skill level, tires will make a difference. Even for my daily-driving purposes, I greatly appreciated upgrading from the stock Bridgestone Turanza tires to the BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S that I have now. Again, that's no replacement for skill, and you might even have to re-learn how the car behaves anyway, seeing as how the tires are one of the biggest influences on a car's handling. What's more - you could run one set of tires for auto-x and another for regular driving, which might be better if you're going to be at auto-x often.

Hope you have fun, btw.