IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 11:09 AM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ripped off?

hey guys, here is the story. I ordered spolier and rear bumper for my 350 F-sport from a well-know brand. Waited for weeks, they finally got to my hands today. After unpacking, I find something killed the mood. The manufacturer put the invoice for the authrize dealer in the box by mistake, and it shows retails price is 4 times more than the price they got from the manufacturer.

I know free market economy, but I can only think drug and weapen buissness can make profit by 300% . I am thinking about contact the manufacturer directly to see if they can sell me those parts directly, after all that's few thousands dollars I could save.
Old 11-13-14, 11:30 AM
Neomoogle
Driver School Candidate

Wow, that's an insane mark up on parts. I wouldn't blame you if you called the manufacturer directly to see if they will sell to you. Then return the parts you already got.
Old 11-13-14, 11:33 AM
damtachoa
Pole Position

I will appreciate you if you can share that manufacture's name to all of us here.
Old 11-13-14, 11:39 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I can understand you being pissed, I know I would be.. You can contact the manufactor but if they do a lot of business with the company that ripped you off it is highly unlikely they are going to jeopardize their future business by selling directly to the customer / end user.

However, it never hurts to ask.. Good luck.
Old 11-13-14, 01:14 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should call them out let us know who it is....we over pay for parts all the time and the vendors are always quick to say its coming from japan or shipping cost and that's the reason its so much. I would love to know all the details about this transaction i'm sure a lot of members would agree....
Old 11-13-14, 02:10 PM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 - what got me is you said you could have saved THOUSANDS. If this was a couple hundred bucks it wouldn't be a big deal. It could even end up being cheaper to register a company and purchase it that way from the manufacturer if they would do it that way
Old 11-13-14, 02:39 PM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS3F
+1 - what got me is you said you could have saved THOUSANDS. If this was a couple hundred bucks it wouldn't be a big deal. It could even end up being cheaper to register a company and purchase it that way from the manufacturer if they would do it that way
They quote me 700 usd for shipping. Like you said, I thought it was made in Japan and would have accept the mark up compare to other brand. But the fact is that they either made in China or hong kong. As the manufacturer is a hongkong company.

Those would not be fake parts right? As for the packing box and installation mune inside looks pretty solid to me. And the dealer is well known in the forum.
Old 11-13-14, 02:54 PM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juvi22003
I think you should call them out let us know who it is....we over pay for parts all the time and the vendors are always quick to say its coming from japan or shipping cost and that's the reason its so much. I would love to know all the details about this transaction i'm sure a lot of members would agree....
At this point I am not planning on telling the name out of integrity. Maybe there are r&d expenses and the company is just out sourcing to the manufacturer for production.

What really concern's me is that this is a Japanese brand, but the parts were produced and shipped from hongkong. On the manufacturer invoice, there are only the authorize dealer's name and the manufacturer 's name. It seems to me that the dealer order those parts from the manufacturer directly, and no sign of the Japanese company's Involvement at all.

It looks weird as most dealers place order from the brand, not from the manufacturer if I am correct. I am contacting the brand to see what is going on here.
Old 11-13-14, 03:25 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

So can you tell us what brand parts they are?
Old 11-13-14, 07:28 PM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on providing more info. The only way to stop this (IF it's a ripoff) is for us to band together and stop taking this kind of crap. I'm sure others around the world would still buy as money isn't an object for many- regardless I still don't like paying more than I need to. Would you be open to PMing the dealers' info so some of us that are shopping can be warned? This is particularly important in canada as we would also get hit with higher duty charges on top of the inflated prices
Old 11-13-14, 07:44 PM
hanhanvic
Driver School Candidate

Please tell the name of manufacture. And 700 usd for shipping is insane!!!
Old 11-13-14, 08:59 PM
Jlin89
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is like telling people you found free gas but won't tell us where it's located.
Old 11-14-14, 07:14 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not trying to be rude here but if you going to start a thread like this and not give out the info then it makes no sense to me. I buy Authentic parts all the time and i always feel like i'm getting ripped off or over paying but its my choice for example buying my Aimgain kit few months back i went back and fourth with 2 vendors comparing prices and when i showed one how much the other one was selling if for he lowered his price makes me wonder how much room they got to play with on these prices, another example was buying my SSR SP4 couples months ago i requested quotes from a couple CL vendors and i ended up buying it from a outside vendor $300-400 less than what everyone else quoted me.....As IS3F said PM us if you don't feel like putting it out in the public.
Old 11-14-14, 09:39 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

second or third to the notion that you should call them out... why put your frustration on here if you do not want some kind of reaction be people? You just want to get everyone worked up about buying parts? I think the best option would be to let it be heard and the buying public can show its reaction. All of us by being on this site have shown interest in aftermarket upgrades or just plain love for our cars...