PCM Flashing/Radar Blocked

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-14, 07:58 AM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCM Flashing/Radar Blocked

Hey everyone

So yesterday we had a bit of snow north of the city. I was driving on the highway and suddenly my cruise control deactivated and I got a message to clean the radar. Then I had PCM flash every second or so. I was really frustrated because this is a MINIMAL amount of snow and it's not even below zero. I'm hoping that this isn't an ongoing issue with these cars? Has anyone experienced this or know of a solution besides getting out of the car and cleaning it? When I got home I saw that there was a layer of ice on the Lexus logo on the front of the car
Old 11-01-14, 01:42 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3F
When I got home I saw that there was a layer of ice on the Lexus logo on the front of the car
Not sure what to tell you, but you found the source of the problem. It's the nature of the beast in our delightful northern climate, and unless an unobstructive heating element can be included in the radar (behind the L), I don't see how this can be solved.
Old 11-02-14, 03:44 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happend to me a lot last winter.
Found that the problem was worst when it was slush and damp outside.
Also when travelling into tunnels that was a bit hotter than the outside air, and other places that mist genereates.

It is very easy to solve the problem.
It usually happens with slush and wet snow. When it gets colder, you won't have the same problem.

To prevent slush and wet snow sticking to the badge. (radar is hidden behind the badge in the center of the grille), just treat the badge with a sealant or wax.
This will minimice the problem to a degree.
Also, clean of the badge after every trip, so it is clean and free of snow and slush.

It will not make the problem go away. But it will minimice the amount of times this happens to you.

For me, it happend mostly when entering a tunnel, and it went away after driving out of the tunnel again. Just like when your window mists up when entering a tunnel in the wintertime.

As you mentioned, your badge was covered in ice. This is the reason. So the trick is to not get ice, snow and slush to stick to your badge.
A clean and waxed badge will make it harder for ice to stick to it. Also, try driving further away from traffic in front, so they don't throw up so much slush onto your grille.

Hope this Helps

Last edited by magne; 11-02-14 at 03:48 AM.