IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Advice: new exhaust or new cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-14, 11:45 PM
amoarora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice: new exhaust or new cold air intake?

Hi guys, I'm new to this whole club lexus forum and i joined just today and i have a 2014 lexus is 250 awd and i'm very happy with it so far. I haven't done any modifications but i needed your guys's input on something. I want to get a "purr" sound coming from my car and deleting a resonator would make it sound too raspy so thats out of question. I was thinking of a muffler or maybe straight piping it or possible a new exhaust system, but a buddy of mine has a takeda cold air intake system on his is 250 and it sounds really nice. What do you guys think i should do to really get that purring sound. Thanks!!
Old 09-21-14, 03:33 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get the ark exhaust and call it a day. An intake will initially make you happy, but then you'll be annoyed with the loudness of it (takeda, greddy ,etc). And you'll still want an exhaust. From what I hear, the Ark is the best of the bunch, and you'll never get tired hearing it unlike the ricer-ish intake sound of a takeda.
Old 09-21-14, 05:18 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congratulations on your new IS! You'll find lots of differing opinions and all well-warranted since most exhaust/intake setups create a great sound.

I have a 250 AWD and am very happy with the combination of the Takeda intake and the Magnaflow axle-back exhaust as it's also an excellent bang for the buck. Burly deep sound without being over the top. And no drone. I have videos you can check out and decide for yourself in the Performance section such as this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...exhaust-2.html

And to get you started, here's one with the Takeda and Magnaflow exhaust under hard acceleration. Good luck.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-21-14 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-21-14, 05:52 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get the is350 fsport intake.sound generator.
Old 09-21-14, 06:55 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gvan1998
Just get the is350 fsport intake.sound generator.
He needs to get the "stock" IS350 Fsport intake to get the sound generator.
Old 09-21-14, 09:07 AM
amoarora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Just get the ark exhaust and call it a day. An intake will initially make you happy, but then you'll be annoyed with the loudness of it (takeda, greddy ,etc). And you'll still want an exhaust. From what I hear, the Ark is the best of the bunch, and you'll never get tired hearing it unlike the ricer-ish intake sound of a takeda.
I'll definitely look into that! A couple of my buddies were going against an exhaust but I wanna listen to how the ark exhaust sounds like and I'll look into that for sure! Thanks so much!
Old 09-21-14, 09:08 AM
amoarora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congratulations on your new IS! You'll find lots of differing opinions and all well-warranted since most exhaust/intake setups create a great sound.

I have a 250 AWD and am very happy with the combination of the Takeda intake and the Magnaflow axle-back exhaust as it's also an excellent bang for the buck. Burly deep sound without being over the top. And no drone. I have videos you can check out and decide for yourself in the Performance section such as this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...exhaust-2.html

And to get you started, here's one with the Takeda and Magnaflow exhaust under hard acceleration. Good luck.

Thanks so much for your input!! Your car actually sounds beautiful!!! And I'm looking for something very similar to how your car sounds I'm going to consider your advice for sure.
Old 09-21-14, 10:11 AM
amoarora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
What type of ark exhaust would get me that purring sound...I listened to the ark grip and that sounds really beautiful, is there another model I should consider??
Old 09-21-14, 01:02 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe Z, they will actually have the cat back exhaust soon.... Ark doesn't have it yet, and is a ways from having it...