IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Square Tire Setup - Anyone Try This?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 01:43 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IJS lol
Attached Thumbnails Square Tire Setup - Anyone Try This?-thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics-1.jpg  
Old 05-30-14, 01:49 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, we need pics.

Is there also a thread dedication only to wheels? I'd love to see some of the styles people have.
Old 05-30-14, 02:54 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Where are you getting all this understeer? On the street?

I've only once experienced understeer in this car on the street and it was because I was being an idiot and totally overloaded the front tires. When you drive with an attention to weight balance/transfer, it's pretty easy to drive this car hard and keep it neutral or have it oversteer.

I'd suggest participating in autocrosses or track days to learn the car better (And how to drive better) before completely changing the dynamics of the car.
Old 05-30-14, 03:46 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JGard18

I've only once experienced understeer in this car on the street and it was because I was being an idiot and totally overloaded the front tires. When you drive with an attention to weight balance/transfer, it's pretty easy to drive this car hard and keep it neutral or have it oversteer.

I'd suggest participating in autocrosses or track days to learn the car better (And how to drive better) before completely changing the dynamics of the car.
four 18's the same size allows rotations and they are cheaper, never liked staggered, my 350z and C6 had it and it's for looks really, this car doesn't really have the power to cause a change is dynamics anyhow the only time I could get it sideways was going around a corner in the rain and stomping the gas.
Old 05-30-14, 04:10 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

When you drive with an attention to weight balance/transfer, it's pretty easy to drive this car hard and keep it neutral or have it oversteer.
+1
If you're accelerating at the start of a turn, most of the weight will be to the rear and the front tires will not have enough load to allow the car to turn properly which will promote understeer.

If your VDIM is fully engaged, the system could also be cutting back on your steering input if it senses that you might be going into an oversteer situation.

Lastly, most cars are tuned to understeer from the factory for liability reasons. In addition to a square tire set-up, you might want to look into modifying your front and rear sway bar configuration if you want to alter the handling behavior of your car.

Last edited by redspencer; 05-30-14 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 04:56 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Here are a few pics.

Old 06-01-14, 12:36 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcheng
Here are a few pics.

Lookin' good jcheng.

Final question: you've obviously got a lot invested in new rims/rubber. Aesthetics aside, is it worth going square for the handling benefits alone, or was the change in that regard incremental?
Old 06-02-14, 10:11 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

I only noticed a difference in handling when I switched tires from the ER33 to the V12. Much more grippier and inspires more confidence on harder turn ins.

The major benefit, and the reason I went to a square setup, was for tire rotations. If I get a flat, I don't have to worry about what tire to put where and such. I do not plan on dropping so aesthetics was the last thing on my mind.

But to answer your question... going square has no change for everyday driving. The tires make the biggest difference.
Old 06-02-14, 10:26 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree on the street you shouldnt be getting any oversteer or understeer since you would have to be breaking the law to do so

For lap days I had a lot of undersired understeer. It is worse than my S4 ever was and that was a nose heavy car.

I'd love to find some sways that dont cost an arm and a leg like the TRDs. For now I am doing the best springs I can find that increase the rear spring rate which is the RSR down. We'll see.

Mike