IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rattle and Squeeking from center console

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 05:17 PM
onemorecar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally the answer!!! The rattle comes from the shifter lock release button mechanism. Remove the left side panel.
You will see the button/plunger makes contact with a flat metal release mechanism. the squeeky rattle occures there. place felt between the plastic from the plunger button on the flat metal surface. The pieces move around and have play some when you hit a bum the squeak is the plastic rubbing the metal contal release for the shifter that is used in emergency situations. THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE ANSWER!!
Old 05-15-14, 10:07 PM
fiendskill
Rookie

Pics please
Old 10-19-14, 06:39 PM
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onemorecar
Finally the answer!!! The rattle comes from the shifter lock release button mechanism. Remove the left side panel.
You will see the button/plunger makes contact with a flat metal release mechanism. the squeeky rattle occures there. place felt between the plastic from the plunger button on the flat metal surface. The pieces move around and have play some when you hit a bum the squeak is the plastic rubbing the metal contal release for the shifter that is used in emergency situations. THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE ANSWER!!
How tough is it to remove the left side panel. I have a 2015 IS 350 that seems to make the same creaking sound when I hit rough roads
Old 11-02-14, 07:00 AM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Yes, pics please! I have the exact same issue and it's driving me insane!
Old 11-02-14, 08:07 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Mine has been rattling since last year. I found the sound coming from white connector just under cup holders assembly. I have no idea how to fix it without completely replacing the whole harness.
Old 03-31-15, 01:08 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by onemorecar
Does anyone have pics to how this was addressed? I was at the Lexus dealership today for it and they opened it but the metal was not touching plastic part. This is the IS 350 2015, do you hvae pics?
Old 03-31-15, 05:19 PM
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Default My rattle did not come from shift ****

I took my 2015 IS 350 FSport center console apart with about 1500 miles because the rattle was driving me crazy.

My rattle was not coming from the shift override button, but rather from where the top of the radio hooks into the bottom of the climate control unit. You'll have to remove the radio, and felt tape all of the plastic tabs along the top edge. I reassembled and have never had a rattle again. I'm at 6700 miles and drive my car real hard, so if it was going to rattle again, it would have done it. Plus I live in Nebraska, so my car has seen its share of near 0 deg F days when rattling is almost a given.
Old 03-31-15, 05:27 PM
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by boiler92
How tough is it to remove the left side panel. I have a 2015 IS 350 that seems to make the same creaking sound when I hit rough roads
Very easy. Work your fingers under the front edges of each panel and work towards the dash to remove the leather covers on each side. Recommend definitely getting a set of trim removal tools to pop the brushed aluminum slats on each side. Tools also help pop the cup holder/armrest along with the whole panel piece that have the drive mode **** and gear shift bezel. There is another post on this site that has pretty good pic detail of what needs to be done and in what order to do it.
Old 03-31-15, 05:46 PM
alvinklee
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler92
I took my 2015 IS 350 FSport center console apart with about 1500 miles because the rattle was driving me crazy.

My rattle was not coming from the shift override button, but rather from where the top of the radio hooks into the bottom of the climate control unit. You'll have to remove the radio, and felt tape all of the plastic tabs along the top edge. I reassembled and have never had a rattle again. I'm at 6700 miles and drive my car real hard, so if it was going to rattle again, it would have done it. Plus I live in Nebraska, so my car has seen its share of near 0 deg F days when rattling is almost a given.
I am not sure where it is coming from... I literally pointed out the high pitch squeek and they could not hear a thing at ALL. They unattached ti for me and when someone stated it was the release lever, the two of them are not even touching. I pushed in the white connector when they showed it to me. So far it sounds a lot better but it happens so sporadically. Did you get any sounds coming from your air vent?

-Alvin
Old 03-31-15, 06:33 PM
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alvinklee
I am not sure where it is coming from... I literally pointed out the high pitch squeek and they could not hear a thing at ALL. They unattached ti for me and when someone stated it was the release lever, the two of them are not even touching. I pushed in the white connector when they showed it to me. So far it sounds a lot better but it happens so sporadically. Did you get any sounds coming from your air vent?

-Alvin
My rattle was very temperature dependent. When it got below 40 deg F, it sounded almost like metal on metal. At one time I was suspicious that it was as high up as the center vents, but after listening around with someone else driving the car, I became convinced it was near the top of the radio or behind it. I could get it to go away slightly by pressing near the climat and radio horizontal seam. When I reassembled the center column area, I put felt tape on every plastic contact / fastener clip area. It's rock solid now like I would expect every Lexus to be from the factory.
Old 04-01-15, 05:24 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"shifter lock release button"? "shift override button"? What are these??
Old 04-01-15, 06:08 PM
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Default Shift Override / Lock Release

Originally Posted by dizlex
"shifter lock release button"? "shift override button"? What are these??

On the left side of the gear shift there is a 1/2" x 1/2" plastic cover with a notch in it. Remove that piece, and you'll see this button.
Old 04-01-15, 08:46 PM
rgonza1
Driver

I'm still disappointed that my $50K car rattles as much as it does. I know I could take apart the console and parts of the gauge cluster and add some felt to stop the rattling. It's more the principle that upsets me. That F80 M3 is starting to look like a much better option.
Old 01-11-17, 12:49 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rgonza1
I'm still disappointed that my $50K car rattles as much as it does. I know I could take apart the console and parts of the gauge cluster and add some felt to stop the rattling. It's more the principle that upsets me. That F80 M3 is starting to look like a much better option.
Bookmark this for when you take possession of your M3..
Old 01-11-17, 07:17 AM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm generally frustrated by misc ticks and creaks that my '14 IS350 makes. Seems like every time a bump or other road irregularity comes up I 'brace' myself for some noise. (I admit that I'm sensitive to this). Mainly from the door seals and center console plastic. The car just doesn't seem 'solid'. Had a couple of Audi's previously that felt like vaults compared to the IS (my wife's grand Cherokee also sounds more solid). Curious if this is just the way it is with these cars or unusual.
(I like working on my cars and am getting ready to take the center console plastic apart and adding felt/cloth tape all over the place.... but should I really have to do this on such an expensive car? And from experience I don't trust the dealer to either hear or fix such issues.)

Quick Reply: Rattle and Squeeking from center console