3is vs Q50s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 04:14 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 3is vs Q50s?

Hey everyone,

Planning to get a new 4 door soon, and debating the Q50s vs the 3is F sport.

Would yall reccommend getting the F sport package or just a is350 and grab a few aftermarket options? Anything I should be weary of?

Just your opinions on it, since yall have the Car.

IF you had the chance to choose either or which would you do?

Q50S or 3IS Fsport?

John

Last edited by Ratedg; 04-24-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 04:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's my review (comparison test of the Q50 vs IS350)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...xus-is350.html

Also you'll find everyone's thoughts in these threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...is350-awd.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...q50-aka-g.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...thread-61.html

Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses. Test drive both and see which fits your life better
Old 04-24-14, 04:22 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

ill check them out, i see you leaned toward the Q50 though!!

Kinda wanted a vote to see
Old 04-24-14, 05:15 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

you're going to receive totally biased responses here; even more so than reading some auto journalist's review which can also be quite biased.
Old 04-24-14, 07:14 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove both coming from my 3 series and theres things I liked about both and each have their strong points. Here's my personal opinion

The Q50 is quicker in a straight line and is available with some cooler tech features like the around view cameras plus unlike the F Sport IS which loses fog lights, memory seats, etc., it has all the features you get on the normal one

The IS on the other hand, I feel like the transmission is a bit sharper and it handles better too throwing it around corners. The infotainment system is easier to use imo and the steering does feel better as well.

Styling and design is subjective so I won't comment there as I like the look of both cars a lot. Took me a while to decide between both as well but I just loved the way the lexus drove so I went for it.
Old 04-25-14, 06:56 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you're going to receive totally biased responses here; even more so than reading some auto journalist's review which can also be quite biased.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly what he said. you just need to: 1) determine your price point and max, 2) determine if you want a sport or luxury version, 3) go test drive both models, 4) make the determination for yourself... i can't stress the last one enough.. you shouldn't take a poll to ask random *** strangers on the forums to see what $45k car you should buy. thats ridiculous. plant your but in the car and see what your emotions tell you.
Old 04-25-14, 07:58 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

It should also be mentioned that the Lexus has better ride quality and isn't saddled with the crappy run-flat tires that come with the Q50.
Old 04-25-14, 08:40 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I test drove them all. My decision ? 2015 STI. But if you limited yourself on only Lexus or Infiniti. Go for Q50, it has better characteristics
Old 04-25-14, 08:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I bought my IS350 and at the same time my coworker bought his Q50S. I love my IS. He loves his Q. Everyone is happy.

I just recommend, like others, that you drive both and purchase whichever one speaks to you and your wants/needs.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-25-14, 08:45 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I bought my IS350 and at the same time my coworker bought his Q50S. I love my IS. He loves his Q. Everyone is happy.

I just recommend, like others, that you drive both and purchase whichever one speaks to you and your wants/needs.

Good luck in your decision.
This remains me of me and my friend. I wed my girl, and he wed his. We are both happy in our own way.

But, really, Car is more like wife.
Old 04-25-14, 08:46 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a former, and happy 08 G35 owner, I didn't consider the Q50 much.

I don't spend a lot of time on G or Q50 forums, but a few people who were considering Q50's told me strongly not to get the Q50. They said a lot of owners were having nothing but trouble with the infotainment crashing and locking up along with the steer by wire being problematic. This may or may not be a big issue, but it was enough to scare me. I hate biggy electronics, especially when they control all aspects of the car.

I did a brief amount of research and as much as I liked the car, it didn't seem to be getting good reviews anywhere. It also reminded me a bit too much of my G. Lots of similar switchgear, shared parts etc. I like the looks, but it just didn't attract me in any way. I also drove a G37 and while the extra power was nice, the 3.7 engine was very unrefined, even compared to my 3.5. I believe this was addressed somewhat in the Q50.

Where Infiniti does it better IMO is a lot of little things.

- The trunk uses a small, compact hinge - not the giant U hinges that aren't even boxed in on the IS.
- Under the hood, the battery/brakes and nicely concealed in their own compartments.
- More options, even with sport package.
- Better storage spaces (and that includes sunglass holder)
- More intuitive controls.
- Of course, more power.

What I liked about the Lexus
- it's more compact, while not being small in any way. Better proportions.
- the design just seemed fresher and more modern, in and out. Hard to explain, but both my wife and I were just emotionally drawn to it. Without going into minute details, you just look at it as a whole and think "what a nice car".
- While both brands have pretty good reliability records, reputation, Lexus is second to none. I had a few out of warranty issues with my G that I thought shouldn't occur.
- The Lexus dealers here are top notch. Clean, modern, very high end. We have two Infiniti dealers, one is just in the corner of a Nissan dealer - the other is nice, but not on the same level.
Old 04-25-14, 09:21 AM
Indecision
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the Q50s, IS350, and CLA 45 AMG. Those were the three on my list. I felt in love with the power in the 45 AMG. But the wife override the decision because the IS interior is 10x better. The Q50 had nothing going for it. Pretty much the same characteristics as the IS350 without the nice interior and Lexus quality. It's a hard one to bite. I don't want to sound like a snob but if all things equal, I would rather be seen in a Lexus than an Infiniti. The sale services at my local Infiniti dealer was also a turn off. I can't imagine the regular maintenance services when you take your car back.
Old 04-25-14, 09:26 AM
Pralix
Rookie

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I test drove them all. My decision ? 2015 STI. But if you limited yourself on only Lexus or Infiniti. Go for Q50, it has better characteristics
I didn't think the STi was even in the same class as the IS or Q. It is a raw performance sports sedan with little in the way of creature comforts. It is hard to drive in heavy traffic. The ride is not that comfortable. I know, I had an '04 STi. For someone who is choosing an STI, the suggestion for the Q50 because of better characteristics is strange. For instance, STi, traditional steering. Q50, steer by wire. My previous car had steer by wire and it felt like I was using a steering wheel controller in a driving game.
Old 04-25-14, 10:06 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pralix
I didn't think the STi was even in the same class as the IS or Q. It is a raw performance sports sedan with little in the way of creature comforts. It is hard to drive in heavy traffic. The ride is not that comfortable. I know, I had an '04 STi. For someone who is choosing an STI, the suggestion for the Q50 because of better characteristics is strange. For instance, STi, traditional steering. Q50, steer by wire. My previous car had steer by wire and it felt like I was using a steering wheel controller in a driving game.
They are different, it just fit me better. If op was going for a sportier version, Q50 will be more sporty feel than the IS
Old 04-25-14, 05:53 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

hmmmmm.. i havent read those bad reviews yet.. gUESS I should start going over some reviews more

Quick Reply: 3is vs Q50s?