IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

NYC road condition terrible - how are you doing with your 3IS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-14, 07:31 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NYC road condition terrible - how are you doing with your 3IS?

How is everyone doing in NYC? Driving has become so difficult in NYC these days. Multiple snow storms have caused a lot of deep potholes to emerge on both highways and local roads. The Brooklyn bridge, FDR drive, the BQE, belt parkway, etc. are absolutely terrible. The Department of Transportation is so crappy, and they're not doing enough to make repairs.

NYC drivers are the worst. When I slow down on highways to avoid deep potholes, people from behind immediately start honking and flashing. I was like WTF, you're right behind me; If I were to hit the potholes so would you.

I hit a number of potholes recently, and so far, no bend rims and no bubbles on tires. Especially at night time, it's so hard to see them. How can you check whether the suspension is okay? Leasing sounds like a potential option for me going forward.

Last edited by doctorttt; 02-17-14 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 07:39 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, I commute to LI for work and take the belt pkway to the southern state which is not bad but there are some parts with huge *** potholes!

I'm practically playing dodge with these potholes lol. And all this salt on the roads doesn't help either! Luckily I haven't hit a big pothole yet but just drive slower and godspeed haha
Old 02-17-14, 07:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Potholes have been a problem in Toronto as well thanks to the terrible winter this year. Keeping your distance and avoidance is the only option though the rare times I sink into one, the suspension bottoms out and makes a thump noise, though the IS feels solid nonetheless.
Old 02-17-14, 07:46 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this winter, I feel that the fog-lamps are really the missing component on the F-Sport package. With high kelvin bulbs, I believe that they will help me to see the roads better at night time to avoid potholes. I'm considering to install them.
Old 02-17-14, 11:03 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

We get new ones as soon as the older ones are repaired. Forget the potholes, the impatient drivers are the worst.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1616768
Old 02-17-14, 11:41 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Since this winter, I feel that the fog-lamps are really the missing component on the F-Sport package. With high kelvin bulbs, I believe that they will help me to see the roads better at night time to avoid potholes. I'm considering to install them.
ugh tell me about it. I commute to long island city so I HAVE to take a portion of the long island expressway. lets just say, if a cop saw me he would pull me over on suspicion of drunk driving. of course I always make sure there no one on the sides of me. but the ones Ive gone into some decent ones. thank god the wheels and tires withstood it. but its just horrible out here.
Old 02-17-14, 12:36 PM
Alius
Pole Position

This is why I think twice before wanting to lower my car on RS* down springs, we have too many potholes in this city.
Old 02-17-14, 12:53 PM
ilshm113
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michigan here so bad too.. i just got a tire bubble on my fsport.. it's only 645 miles though
Old 02-17-14, 12:53 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious how leasing would help you with potholes?

Originally Posted by doctorttt
How is everyone doing in NYC? Driving has become so difficult in NYC these days. Multiple snow storms have caused a lot of deep potholes to emerge on both highways and local roads. The Brooklyn bridge, FDR drive, the BQE, belt parkway, etc. are absolutely terrible. The Department of Transportation is so crappy, and they're not doing enough to make repairs.

NYC drivers are the worst. When I slow down on highways to avoid deep potholes, people from behind immediately start honking and flashing. I was like WTF, you're right behind me; If I were to hit the potholes so would you.

I hit a number of potholes recently, and so far, no bend rims and no bubbles on tires. Especially at night time, it's so hard to see them. How can you check whether the suspension is okay? Leasing sounds like a potential option for me going forward.
Old 02-17-14, 02:40 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

The potholes in NY sucks! I must have hit a couple of them this weekend alone.
Old 02-17-14, 02:51 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just take it easy, it's not worth damaging your ride and give the guy honking the finger
Old 02-17-14, 04:47 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I bent the front rim on my GS on I-278 in Queens. The car is parked now and the rim is shipped for repairs.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 02-17-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 05:17 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when i lived in Brooklyn, IT WAS TERRIBLE getting around in a lowered car. It was SO bad I took the long way where ever I went. I think the weather has a lot to do with it because they just redid the cross Bronx which used to be the WORST road to drive on in NYC all together. It was really nice for like a month or two but right after it snowed and then the plows started to eat it all up. They cant fix them fast enough before it breaks down again.

NYC DOT/MTA needs to get on their game seriously because they cant be asking to increase bridge and tunnel prices and still have crappy roads on bridges and tunnels.
Old 02-18-14, 05:42 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

I'm out on Long Island and i just bent one of my back rims today on the way to the gym. I'm usually pretty careful when driving but this pothole was around a corner and couldn't react fast enough.

I was pissed to say the least, but i'm gonna look on the bright side and use it as an excuse to buy some 19in wheels i've had my eye on.

I will say i regret buying a car during the winter, between the bent rim and the rock chips in the windshield i've had enough.