IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad MPG is350 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 12:21 AM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
Do you do a lot of idling while driving around? Or just stop and go?
Usually stop and go, very short idling in traffic

I hope they strap twin scroll turbos in the v6 for the next gen IS lol
Old 12-02-14, 04:11 AM
Akrkwk
Rookie

My M4 is getting 21mpg And my Is250 is getting 23 not much differences in mpg
Old 12-02-14, 08:08 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow 13.5 is the worst I've heard so far. Do you idle a lot? Do you constantly have your foot on the gas pedal? Slamming on brakes?
I'll have to check, but mine could even be worse than that. I live in the city and my average speed is often in the 7-9 mph range. Thus my gas mileage blows. But I can't really blame Lexus for that.

When I'm out in the burbs, however, I'm averaging about 20 mph, which I consider "city" driving. I think I'm only getting 15 or 16 mpg in the burbs and was expecting 19.
Old 12-02-14, 03:25 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sinuspain
Just got my car and its getting 13.5 mpg. Mostly city. I think this is pretty bad...
Horrible, and what I've been averaging on average with 50-50 city to highway driving.

13.5 is the worst I've heard so far.
Same as what I've been complaining of since new.

Pissed.
Old 12-02-14, 03:46 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dbs600
Horrible, and what I've been averaging on average with 50-50 city to highway driving.

Same as what I've been complaining of since new.

Pissed.
13.5 combined mileage is a horrible horrible gas consumption. It is pretty much on par with heavy duty trucks and high performance vehicles (such as Nissan GTR lol). I mean come on 13.5 MPG is the same as 21 liters per 100km and it is outrageously poor. I understand that there are so many variables in determining what the actual mpg will be (such as heavy traffic, driving style, weather etc) but 13.5 mpg is very very bad. My Audi A6 that was heavier and more powerful than my 3IS and it used to get around 19 to 20mpg combined and the variables were the same as my current IS has (same commute to work, same driver, and same climate). Clearly this engine is not burning the fuel very efficiently - the car needs to justify 13.5 mpg by either being fast and/or heavy. It is neither.
Old 12-02-14, 07:11 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
13.5 combined mileage is a horrible horrible gas consumption. It is pretty much on par with heavy duty trucks and high performance vehicles (such as Nissan GTR lol). I mean come on 13.5 MPG is the same as 21 liters per 100km and it is outrageously poor. I understand that there are so many variables in determining what the actual mpg will be (such as heavy traffic, driving style, weather etc) but 13.5 mpg is very very bad. My Audi A6 that was heavier and more powerful than my 3IS and it used to get around 19 to 20mpg combined and the variables were the same as my current IS has (same commute to work, same driver, and same climate). Clearly this engine is not burning the fuel very efficiently - the car needs to justify 13.5 mpg by either being fast and/or heavy. It is neither.
depends on where and how you drive mainly. I have a few friends with G37s living in Queens/Long Island, and they all average around 12-15 mpg as well. Highway there is pretty much bumper to bumper throughout most of the day and city driving is just as bad. I know people with 4 cylinder Accords getting around 19-20 MPG in NY as well. I do feel that 13.5 MPG is low, but don't think it's totally impossible
Old 12-03-14, 07:03 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tea
Highway there is pretty much bumper to bumper throughout most of the day...
Not bumper to bumper when I'm on the highway (early in the morning and late at night), and my Range Rover before my IS was getting between 11 and 12 mpg's. I purchased the IS for fuel economy, which shouldn't be getting a mere 2 mpg's more.
Old 12-03-14, 11:37 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

I get around 18-20 on average in the colder temps. I am doing more highway driving than city, but I'm often in slow traffic. And I only have just a bit over 1,000 miles on it.
Old 12-03-14, 12:30 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

My suggestion to all of us who believe the gas mileage is poor is to have our cars maintained by Lexus dealers. Lets keep our papers all straight for now so that Lexus wont have any excuse in future if the lawsuit will be brought upon.
Old 12-03-14, 03:20 PM
sinuspain
Driver School Candidate

Wow 13.5 is the worst I've heard so far. Do you idle a lot? Do you constantly have your foot on the gas pedal? Slamming on brakes?
No, I don't idle that much. I've been doing mostly city driving, averaging 25 mph. The numbers are from what's reported in the cluster. The service guy said well it depends on how you drive...I'll admit I'm a bit of an aggressive driver but still 13.5 mpg doesn't make sense.

Let's see what they say
Old 12-03-14, 10:30 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my 250 f-sport is doing 18.5mpg in city (100% city)
Old 12-07-14, 11:48 AM
Nexx
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 RWD is350 F-Sport

Been babying the car and I'm BARELY reaching EPA numbers. Pretty disappointing when compared to the competitors in my opinion.

Normal mode, Combined Driving (70% city / 30% hwy) = 21MPG
Eco mode, Hwy Driving ( 10% city / 90% hwy) = 28MPG
Old 12-07-14, 12:00 PM
11oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sinuspain
I've been doing mostly city driving, averaging 25 mph. ...I'll admit I'm a bit of an aggressive driver but still 13.5 mpg doesn't make sense.
Actually, it does make sense. The car is rated at 19mpg city, which includes frequent sections of driving at 30+ mph, and a few stretches at 55mph. If you're not getting those "highway" stretches, then your city rating will be lower.

And the test drivers aren't at all aggressive. Their starts and stops are very gradual and smooth. Aggressive driving will drastically diminish your mpg performance.

Add in outdoor temperature, road conditions, tire size/inflation/style/condition, accessory use, etc. and there are likely other factors coming into play.

If you truly want to find out if your mileage is a problem with your car and unrelated to your driving, reset your computer, check your tire pressure and get it perfect, and then take the car out for a nice Sunday drive in a sparsely populated area. Except rather than driving aggressively, drive like you're a 55 year old woman, with a newborn baby in the backseat, and a tiered cake in the front seat. No sudden stops and no sudden starts. At stoplights, be sure the cars in the other lanes are all accelerating quicker than you are. At stop signs, let off the gas a few hundred feet in advance and coast until you have to brake.

I'm willing to bet you'll see a drastic increase in your MPGs. Just try to stay awake and sane during what will be the most boring trip ever.
Old 12-07-14, 12:09 PM
11oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nexx
Been babying the car and I'm BARELY reaching EPA numbers. Pretty disappointing when compared to the competitors in my opinion.
With any car you pretty much have to baby it to reach the EPA estimate because their testers drive like they're 50 year old DMV instructors.

And while the IS might have slightly lower estimates than some of its competitors, this is something that was literally plastered on the window when we chose to purchase our cars, so it seems a little silly to complain now.
Old 12-07-14, 12:25 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

I'm getting 17-18.5 mpg all city driving no highway usually on sport mode :/ is 350 f sport

Quick Reply: Bad MPG is350 f sport