IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ultra white and tire shine= no go???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 01:48 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As people have already mentioned... the issue is that the dealerships simply use poor quality products. In fact, I would NEVER let the dealership detail or wash your vehicle!

A water based tire dressing is important. Water based dressings will work to nourish your rubber and keep it looking great for longer periods of time. Water based dressings may need to be reapplied more regularly than silicone based dressings, however they are much safer and (IMO) look much better too.

My favorite go-to tire dressing has been Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel.

I have a review article that will be published on Jan 8th about this product and I'll be sure to post the link!

Originally Posted by dojoman
I've heard good thing about Tuf Shine which is permanent tire shine. I just ordered the kit and report back how it goes. There are a lot of positive reviews on this product. I like the idea of permanent shine without having to keep applying after a car wash. Definitely something to consider.

http://tufshine.com/
Tuf Shine is in fact a nice product... the key (like with any detailing product) is preparation. If your tires are not incredibly clean, the tire coating will not last long at all. Be sure to use the Tuf Shine Tire cleaner and repeat several times if needed until they are completely clean.

You will still need to apply a new coat of the Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat every couple of months to maintain a nice, glossy look.
Old 01-02-14, 06:23 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone tell if this is oil or water based? http://www.jorgensgarage.com/product...&cat=20&page=1
Old 01-02-14, 09:54 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

While I know and believe there is a problem here, this entire situation makes no sense. All paint colors get the same final clear coatings out of the factory. So I don't get what makes this a problem for Ultra White. Could it be all other colors are also getting stained but we are just not seeing it due to the darker shades? I'd think someone with Starfire would be complaining too. Again, I don't see what makes Ultra White different...
Old 01-03-14, 05:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i used some crappy dressings before on my 06 white IS, never had a staining problem
Old 01-03-14, 06:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
While I know and believe there is a problem here, this entire situation makes no sense. All paint colors get the same final clear coatings out of the factory. So I don't get what makes this a problem for Ultra White. Could it be all other colors are also getting stained but we are just not seeing it due to the darker shades? I'd think someone with Starfire would be complaining too. Again, I don't see what makes Ultra White different...
I think staining is the wrong description...

Tire dressings, especially oil based products, have a tendency to sling from the tire and onto the paint when applied too heavily or when they are not allowed to dry before the car is driven. Oil based products (since they are more resistant to water) may be a bit more difficult to remove so someone may perceive it as a stain that has set into the clear coat.

Water based dressings are easier to wash away if they should sling onto your paint, however with proper application this should not be a problem.

^I used to use Meguiar's endurance gel quite often because I liked the look, and I never had an issue with 'staining' or slinging because I would allow the product to dry properly before driving the car. If there was excess product on the surface after an hour or so, I would gently wipe it away with a microfiber towel.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-03-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 06:18 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes less is more, sling can be caused by to much shine applied, and not reading instructions. Some tire shines tell you to wipe off excess and let car sit for a while to allow shine to sit dry and soak. I use wolfgang tire shine which is water based and its pretty damn good.
Old 01-03-14, 08:51 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't know what dressing dealer used but this was back in July from tire dressing. This area was completely cleaned, I even waxed, used scratch remover, iron remover, clay bar, nothing was making these marks going away. They're almost gone now after a few months, not sure if it's just UV. Kind of looks like dye from hair color that's impossible to remove but overtime it just fades away.

Trust me this is a common problem on white cars. Google it and you will see a ton of results. People have this problem on other white cars not just Lexus.

http://g35driver.com/forums/care-det...ng-stains.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...tic-white.html

http://mbworld.org/forums/detailing-...ng-stains.html

Old 01-03-14, 04:51 PM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
Sometimes less is more, sling can be caused by to much shine applied, and not reading instructions. Some tire shines tell you to wipe off excess and let car sit for a while to allow shine to sit dry and soak. I use wolfgang tire shine which is water based and its pretty damn good.
I guess that's why I don't have an issue with Hot Shine. I spray a thin layer and let it dry for a few hours and preferably overnight. It looks good, lasts a long time, and I don't have issues with it slinging onto the paint.
Old 01-06-14, 11:31 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't know what dressing dealer used but this was back in July from tire dressing. This area was completely cleaned, I even waxed, used scratch remover, iron remover, clay bar, nothing was making these marks going away. They're almost gone now after a few months, not sure if it's just UV. Kind of looks like dye from hair color that's impossible to remove but overtime it just fades away.

Trust me this is a common problem on white cars. Google it and you will see a ton of results. People have this problem on other white cars not just Lexus.

http://g35driver.com/forums/care-det...ng-stains.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...tic-white.html

http://mbworld.org/forums/detailing-...ng-stains.html

Unfortunatly dealers, car washes use high amounts of chemicals, this causes that. look into water based items.
Old 01-08-14, 07:45 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

As promised... here is my product review for Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

Product Review: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

^After 2 coats of Opti-Bond. Tires are dry to the touch. No slinging, no mess, looks great... read article for more info!

-Zach
Old 01-08-14, 07:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been using Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel for awhile.Great product.