IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Oil changing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 12:24 PM
waxy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
It's like soiled underwear. Why change it if it still works. It just looks dirty and smells terrible. I tend to change my oil between 3.5k and 7k. Oil and filter are cheap and I do enjoy maintaining my cars as well as detailing it.
Not unless it's Laced with Silver, like the Brits.
Those only need to be washed every 3 months.

Lots of great info here regarding oil changes, though
Old 12-09-13, 05:57 AM
lexgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
well what do you know!
this IS the same company. look at the very last video on this page! check out the label sticker on the door of this truck! what do we see C dot this means COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
this is a CITY vehicle. just like my client told me..

so about that bridge you were talking about? how much did you say it was?

http://www.onboardoiltech.com/index.php/applicationis

see it for yourself!
This is not refining oil. It is only a fancy filter. I happen to be a petroleum engineer. You need to be careful with terms. Trying to extend the life of engine oil is one thing. Refining crude to make gasoline is quite another.

Good luck putting this "refinery" in your Lexus. Oh yeah, the bridge is still for sale!
Old 12-09-13, 06:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea that fancy filter isnt going to regenerate the TBN of the oil.

If you really want to know when to change your oil, send a sample of your oil to blackstone labs to to the oil test and TBN test. I sent one in for the Pilot at 8k miles on Mobil 1 Synthetic and they recommended 10k changes based on the remaining TBN.
Old 12-09-13, 06:46 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexgolf
This is not refining oil. It is only a fancy filter. I happen to be a petroleum engineer. You need to be careful with terms. Trying to extend the life of engine oil is one thing. Refining crude to make gasoline is quite another.

Good luck putting this "refinery" in your Lexus. Oh yeah, the bridge is still for sale!
i never said i was going to use it in my car, i just wanted to point out that this sort of contraption does exist.
and i really don't think you are a petroleum engineer. i think your just trying to defend your statement.
either way, someone believes in it enough to install it on their commercial fleet and someone else went to enough trouble to come up with i think a pretty neat idea!
Old 03-06-14, 06:56 PM
jay631987
Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
Changing my own at 1000 - this coming weekend. Might be paranoid by I suspect there are tiny metal shavings in the oil from the break-in period. Also want to get high quality oil (AMSOil) in as soon as possible.
Is everything the same as with the 2nd generation? like are the nut sizes the same and location of filter and oil pan all in the same places?
Old 03-06-14, 08:10 PM
afdavey
Driver

Originally Posted by sloosh
Changing my own at 1000 - this coming weekend. Might be paranoid by I suspect there are tiny metal shavings in the oil from the break-in period. Also want to get high quality oil (AMSOil) in as soon as possible.

Owned lots of new cars - can't go wrong with the first change at 1,ooo miles - then every 5k using a good syn oi...
Old 03-06-14, 09:41 PM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afdavey
Owned lots of new cars - can't go wrong with the first change at 1,ooo miles - then every 5k using a good syn oi...
Yes like you said "cant go wrong" changing oils early but your wasting money and killing the environment.
Old 03-07-14, 05:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by afdavey
send a sample to blackstone labs with a TBN test so you can see how much money youre wasting. Synthetic will go 10k easily on this car. Hence why the new lexus maintenance interval is 10k with synthetic.
Old 03-07-14, 06:05 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by semoquer
What kind of oil will you guys use? I heard that toyota recommends their 0w-20, and says that it is not interchangeable.. any thoughts?
Lexus recommends the 0w-20 as was said, but they are also very careful to say in the owners manual that if you are doing more high load or high speed driving you can adjust up in viscosity as may be needed.

This sounds a lot like a CYA clause. Lexus is using a lighter weight oil to get the best fuel economy out of all of its production vehicles to best meet CAFE standards. It does not offer the best protection in warmer climates and in spirited driving. If i lived up north and drove in a reserved manner, I would feel very comfortable using a synthetic 0w-20 and changing at 7500 to 10000.

I live in south florida and regularly enjoy trips to the redline so I will use Syntec or M1 0w-30 to retain the same thin cold start rating with better protection at higher engine oil temperature. I'll be changing every 5k but that is a severe duty schedule.

Different schedules for different driving conditions and environments.

Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 03-07-14 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 06:35 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

changing your oil at 1000 miles causes more damage to the engine than leaving it in. the oil that came with your car is break in oil it's designed to help the rings seat! (seal) and if it needed to be changed before that lexus would have mentioned it in the OM. and as for the shavings in the oil, yes there are, they are a result of the piston rings and cylinder walls wearing against each other and forming a pattern into the cylinder walls so the rings don't move around out of alignment. also the rings create a better seal against the cylinder walls as these parts wear together. also the camshaft has to break in and get polished against the lifters or rocker arms during this process.

Yes there are particles in the oil and they remain present in any engine even with over 100,000 miles on it. i know because my last car had a magnetic drain plug and you find them attached to it all the time. IT'S NORMAL!
but the fact is this is exactly why you have an oil filter to trap these particles before they go through the oil passages in the motor.
but this topic never ceases to amaze me!
first off, how long do you plan to keep your car? let's say your the worst at changing your oil, you use the cheap walmart branded oil and you change it every 10,000 miles.. i guarantee you'll still get well over 100k out of the engine.
do you really think the next person who buys your 100k old car will care or believe you if you told them the oil was changed every 5k miles? do you think he would pay you any extra for it? i think not..

the fact is most people who buy new cars keep them for about 70k miles tops! what the hell do you care about the oil changes after it has been sold? not your problem anymore and the new owner doesn't care either!

if your worried about metal particles floating around in your OIL PAN NOT YOUR ENGINE! then install a magnetic drain plug. then you can look at them for yourself if it makes you feel better they aren't in the OIL PAN anymore.

if you change your oil before the recommended interval then you won't have as many shavings in the oil, they are there because they are what wore away from your rings that you didn't let fully seat and likely your going to get more blow by past the ring's which will give you less MPG and less performance.
if you want to deny your engine the chance it needs to fully break in, then go ahead and waste your money changing the oil..
personally i lease my cars, i couldn't give a rip! the less money i have to put into a car the better! i won't be keeping it long enough to matter to me anyway.
i could never understand how some people obsess about such things.. but you shouldn't let it bother you or loose sleep over it, it just isn't necessary.
change your oil when your car tells you it's time, use a quality oil and change the filter your engine doesn't need anything more than that! the fact is you could change the oil at 15k miles and still have no engine damage. so why throw perfectly good oil away?
dumb,,
Old 03-07-14, 08:50 AM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Lexus recommends the 0w-20 as was said, but they are also very careful to say in the owners manual that if you are doing more high load or high speed driving you can adjust up in viscosity as may be needed.

This sounds a lot like a CYA clause. Lexus is using a lighter weight oil to get the best fuel economy out of all of its production vehicles to best meet CAFE standards. It does not offer the best protection in warmer climates and in spirited driving. If i lived up north and drove in a reserved manner, I would feel very comfortable using a synthetic 0w-20 and changing at 7500 to 10000.

I live in south florida and regularly enjoy trips to the redline so I will use Syntec or M1 0w-30 to retain the same thin cold start rating with better protection at higher engine oil temperature. I'll be changing every 5k but that is a severe duty schedule.

Different schedules for different driving conditions and environments.

Mike
^^ This. Going with 5w-30, which is what it was speced for originally and still is depending on country, 10k intervals in Cali with a timing chain and driving WOT quite a bit, yeah, I'll let it shear down to a 20.
Old 03-07-14, 09:10 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gvan1998
Yes like you said "cant go wrong" changing oils early but your wasting money and killing the environment.
Always change my synthetic oil at 5k interval. I have driven almost a million miles with several cars over 200k miles with no major problems. Always bring the used back to the recycling center! How am I killing the environment? If you so freaking worry about the environment then walk or take public transportation