IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is250 f-sport only worth 32,500?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 04:40 AM
Roger1079
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vulaj
I mean if I could just trade in my f -sport for the one with nav and vgrs then I would be happy :/ q50 has a bit more room and the multi media interface feels way better to me for some reason
The problem with the dealer taking the car back is that it has now been titled either to the company that financed you or to you if you bought it outright. Even though the mileage is extremely low, the car has to be resold as a preowned vehicle. That is why the saying about the car depreciates 15-20% the minute you drive off the lot exists. The only exception to this is with limited production vehicles where demand far exceeds supply. Even under that circumstance, the car still depreciated the same, you are just able to find someone willing to overpay for it.

That being said, a Lexus dealer will likely give you the highest price in trade for the model you want but you will still come out on the losing end of things. Unfortunately someone has to eat the loss of value in the car and I assure you it will not be the dealer. All you can do at this point is to consider this an expensive lesson and make sure you take your time with future car purchases. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-15-13, 04:48 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few different things you can try.

1) CarMax - normally buy cars for slightly more than a dealer.

2) eBay - Car is still basically brand new and people can't get them in some areas.

3) AutoTrader - Take some good pictures and try to sell it for a couple thousand less than what you paid.

4) Craigslist - Haven't sold a car on CL before but some people have had good luck.

Once you buy a brand new car and you sign the papers it is a used car and you take a 5 to 10K hit depending on how expensive the car is sadly this is normal. This will be my first new car purchase in over 10 years I am one of those people that don't like to take the hit for buying new.
Old 10-15-13, 06:24 AM
jokim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you sell or trade a car out the lot you will take a hit on the car. Not sure if FL is like NJ but tax is not calculated in the trade in amount in the out the door cost. They are offering you around 10% less then what you bought it for which is normal. You can minimize this by negotiating the cost of the Q50 and then your trade in but you are still going to lose some amount and if you are really that unhappy, better to take the hit now then later.

Honestly if you finance a car, its an investment for 4-5 + years. I would consider how to utilize what you have now since its already purchased.
Old 10-15-13, 08:25 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really is nothing you can do. If you buy a brand new car and turn around to try and sell it within a few months, you're going to take a huge depreciation hit, that's just how it goes. Best of luck, though.