IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Heated Seat Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 11:18 PM
jm68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I found this thread by google. My wife's '15 RX350 heated seats are a joke. It hit 14F here in midwest and she wanted to use heated seats and all I heard from her that the heat was not working. I tried it myself and while at level setting 3 (highest setting) I get some warmth but it is ridiculously low even after running for 20 minutes straight. I own 2 cars with heated seats and both cars' heated seats can roast a butt if left too long.

I am going to my dealership tomorrow but based on what I read here, I am not hoping for much.
Old 11-26-14, 07:48 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
I made a thread about this stating this, but I'll just post it here just in case some of you guys missed it.

I picked up my 2015 3IS F-Sport about 8 days ago, and I can tell you the heated seats are useless at 30 degrees Fahrenheit and below. It feels nice and warm when the outside temperature is around 40, but below 30 it doesn't feel warm. If anything, it feels lukewarm (like someone sat on the seat before you) and it's just barely enough to get rid of any cold on the seats. I made sure to take off my long coat before i got in the car so that the coat won't block the heat. I only wore jeans + boxer as bottem wear. I got a follow up call from my dealership asking me if I was enjoying my vehicle. I mentioned the seat warmers and they told me to call lexus customer service.
Strange. I thought this was an issue with the 2014 model, which was fixed in 2015 when the moved to the heated/cooled seats. Do you have the AWD or RWD? I have a 2015 AWD 350 F-Sport and my seats get so hot they are actually a bit uncomfortable.
Old 11-26-14, 10:08 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Strange. I thought this was an issue with the 2014 model, which was fixed in 2015 when the moved to the heated/cooled seats. Do you have the AWD or RWD? I have a 2015 AWD 350 F-Sport and my seats get so hot they are actually a bit uncomfortable.
I have an AWD. And how's the weather over there? Do you wear thick jeans or dress pants?
Old 11-26-14, 11:52 AM
jm68
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I visited my Lexus dealership this morning and had them check the heated seats. The service manager told me that Lexus has dialed down the seat heating temperature starting with '14 models due to customer complains.

They performed the temperature test and both front seats were at 84F after 15 minutes of being on. They also showed me a loaner '15 RX350 and it also registered the same 84F temperature in side by side comparison.

So, I think I just should accept this.
Old 11-26-14, 01:12 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an AWD. And how's the weather over there? Do you wear thick jeans or dress pants?
It got cold last week. Down in the low 20's. I usually have jeans and a pretty thick jacket. I can feel the heat come on very quickly - in just 30 seconds or so. After 2-3 minutes, my butt and lower back are roasting.

I've owned the following cars with heated seats: A3, A4, RS4, 330i, 335i and RX300. The seats in my IS getter as hot if not hotter than any of those cars, and they heat up quicker too.

Not trying to rub it in. Just trying to point out that there's obviously something wrong with yours so hopefully your dealer can fix it. Good luck!
Old 11-26-14, 01:15 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jm68
Ok, I visited my Lexus dealership this morning and had them check the heated seats. The service manager told me that Lexus has dialed down the seat heating temperature starting with '14 models due to customer complains.

They performed the temperature test and both front seats were at 84F after 15 minutes of being on. They also showed me a loaner '15 RX350 and it also registered the same 84F temperature in side by side comparison.

So, I think I just should accept this.
That's BS, and we are being taken for a ride!

2014+ Non F Sport models have properly functioning heated seats.
Old 11-26-14, 02:09 PM
cFoo
Driver

I wear dress pants and it's barely hot. Warm maybe. Even on the max 3 level it's barely comparable to our Acuras. Adding insults to injury, I've noticed that after about 30 minutes of driving the car will automatically shut off the steering wheel warmer and dial the seat down to level 1.
Old 11-26-14, 02:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by cFoo
I wear dress pants and it's barely hot. Warm maybe. Even on the max 3 level it's barely comparable to our Acuras. Adding insults to injury, I've noticed that after about 30 minutes of driving the car will automatically shut off the steering wheel warmer and dial the seat down to level 1.
Not sure about the steering wheel heat, but the seat heaters automatically going down to 1 after a period of time is a setting. You can turn that function off.
Old 11-26-14, 02:40 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
It got cold last week. Down in the low 20's. I usually have jeans and a pretty thick jacket. I can feel the heat come on very quickly - in just 30 seconds or so. After 2-3 minutes, my butt and lower back are roasting.

I've owned the following cars with heated seats: A3, A4, RS4, 330i, 335i and RX300. The seats in my IS getter as hot if not hotter than any of those cars, and they heat up quicker too.

Not trying to rub it in. Just trying to point out that there's obviously something wrong with yours so hopefully your dealer can fix it. Good luck!
Ha, it's alright. I'll check with my dealership and see what happens.

Is there anyway you can record the temperature coming out of your heat seaters? Some users on here have used laser thermometers to record their heat seater temperatures. If it's too much trouble, then don't worry about it (though it would be helpful haha).
Old 11-26-14, 02:42 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cFoo
Hold down both heat seater buttons for 5-10 seconds until you hear a beep sound. This will deactivate the timer. And for the steering wheel... try holding down the steering wheel button? I've never heard of that problem, it sounds like a trip to the dealership for you.
Old 11-26-14, 03:04 PM
cFoo
Driver

Hold down both heat seater buttons for 5-10 seconds until you hear a beep sound. This will deactivate the timer. And for the steering wheel... try holding down the steering wheel button? I've never heard of that problem, it sounds like a trip to the dealership for you.
Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try on the way home tonight.
Old 12-04-14, 09:13 AM
cFoo
Driver

Deactivating the timer works. But it doesn't stop the car from automatically lowering your setting. The good news is that it will go back up to 3 when you start the car again versus having to activate it again.

Still can't override the steering wheel. I'll have to scan the manual again.
Old 01-13-15, 02:23 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Default My Heated Seats Do Not Work, Get 'Warm' or Hot!

Can’t find the heated seats / ‘seat warmer’ thread.

Anyone get a dealer or Lexus to acknowledge / address / remedy this problem!?

Our cars are supposed to have heated seats, but it’s freezing out and they don’t!

Beyond disappointing, especially from a customer care / service perspective.

Please advise.
Old 01-13-15, 02:32 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

Seems like a very common complaint. How long have you had your car? I'd just contact your dealer directly and make a big fuss.

I recently got a 3IS 350 and I live in Toronto. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't experienced this issue so far. But if mine stopped working when it's -20C outside, I'd be livid.
Old 01-13-15, 04:13 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by byro
Seems like a very common complaint. How long have you had your car? I'd just contact your dealer directly and make a big fuss... I'd be livid.
I've had it since October 2014 and oh have I made a fuss; multiple corporate reps involved!

Such BS, as they even noticed a difference when compared to another vehicle.

It could not be any more clear that Lexus does not stand behind their product.

Calls to corporate have gotten NO WHERE, besides them lying stating my car lacks proper maintenance and deflecting stating I can file for mediation / arbitration.

What trash.

Quick Reply: Heated Seat Discussion (merged threads)