IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

BMW vs Lexus, my girl's perspective

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 11:17 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by nano10
I admit lexus is better but this BMW statement is way over exaggerated. I have had 2 bimmers over 100,000 and 1 over 80,000. Never had any problems beyond normal maintainence
Maybe only very slightly over exaggerated. Up until a year ago I owned an 87 325e with 300k miles (bought with 225k miles on it) and never any major problems. Currently own a 92 525i and besides being slow, haven't had any major problems. I feel new BMW's are a far cry reliability wise than the older ones. Have a friend that's a long time BMW mechanic. He made a statement recently about the 745i. "It's a shame what happens to these cars at 100k miles because they really are nice riding cars." I'm glad Lexus is stepping up and producing more sporting cars.
Old 07-18-13, 03:29 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your GF has some serious writing skills. Sounds like a professional journalist
Old 07-18-13, 03:44 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nano10
I admit lexus is better but this BMW statement is way over exaggerated. I have had 2 bimmers over 100,000 and 1 over 80,000. Never had any problems beyond normal maintainence
That's pretty awesome. I have a good friend who has an '06 325i with over 200k. Now I don't know how much money he spent to keep it running that way though. Still yes I agree it's a bit exaggerated.

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
You should consider yourself lucky. I've had two BMW 5 series. The first was a lease so I never saw the maintenance. I liked it enough that I ended up purchasing a new one figuring to keep it a while. Once the warranty was up, it was one thing after another. The car was constantly in the shop for repairs. I ended up dumping it at 90,000 miles, when they said there was a transmission fault, and never looked back.
Originally Posted by palidino
Same here 2008 X5 with 86000 miles. No problems within the 4 year warranty. 4 and a half year the transfer case fails. $2500 repair.
My first BMW was an '01 330Ci coupe. It went thru like 10 brake sensors during the warranty period. So annoying that I literally knew all my BMW service advisors by first name basis. Right after warranty ran out around 55k miles the $4k transmission broke.

My second BMW was the '07 335i sedan. They replaced both turbos under warranty around 40k mi (would have been $8k). Fuel pump went out around 70k miles. And a bunch of sensors in between. When I sold it with 92k miles, the mechanic said there were oil leaks every where, turbos, valves, engine, etc... Good thing I had extended warranty so the dealer took care of everything. My guess is probably close to $4k without extended warranty. But man that was a fun car to own. Needless to say it's been a year with my 4GS F Sport and I do not miss the 335i one bit. With the 4GS I have 9/10 the handling and 3x the ride quality of the e90 335i. I love Lexus!

Originally Posted by Glashub
natnut -- it is such a perfect solution to a vexing problem at least to my neophyte mind. I passed on a Genesis R-spec because of the GDI and went with a 4.6 instead. It was hard to do but sure enough -- there's a long thread about GDI engine owners getting about a 1000 miles to a quart of oil.
My 335i needed a quart every 3k miles. Another friend's 330i needed 1 quart every 1k. I do miss the thrill of a turbo engine but I would only drive such cars under warranty.

Originally Posted by pinipig523
Nice that your gf mentioned it on her blog. A little lacking meat in the end though, considering it was the Lexus that she was promoting.

Either way, better than my non-existing blog.
Hey this is the same girl who can't tell the difference between a hubcap and a wheel six month ago lol. Now I'm just happy to be discussing car brands with her.

At first I thought she would only write about luxury brands like Hermes, Cartier, Chanel, etc... on her blog. When she posted stuff like car brands (esp Lexus BMW) on her blog it became 10x better to me. Many BMW faithfuls are still ignorant of Lexus' new direction toward the new Ultimate Driving Machine so I don't mind her spreading the news.

So yeah I was thrilled when she asked me to do a photo shoot of the Lexus for her blog. And just because I like you guys here are a couple more:

Last edited by mso4; 07-18-13 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 03:53 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

She's very attractive and if she's nice too -- then you have a good partner. I'm curious -- the steering wheel says F-sport but the dash has the non F-sport gauges. Why?
Old 07-18-13, 04:43 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope, and assume since you posted her pictures that you were showing off....lol

She's a very attractive looking person.
Old 07-18-13, 09:43 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
So yeah I was thrilled when she asked me to do a photo shoot of the Lexus for her blog. And just because I like you guys here are a couple more:

I think this photo shoot failed completely since all I can focus on right now is the very attractive young lady in the pictures. The point of the photoshoot is to advertise the car right?

Suspect the views and replies to this thread will increase markedly after post #18.

Last edited by natnut; 07-18-13 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 09:47 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

lol You're right. Maybe she should be wearing overalls.
Old 07-19-13, 01:05 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's very attractive and if she's nice too -- then you have a good partner. I'm curious -- the steering wheel says F-sport but the dash has the non F-sport gauges. Why?
GS F sport
Old 07-19-13, 04:48 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

^^^

Thanks for clarifying EthanV.
Old 07-25-13, 10:14 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Your GF has some serious writing skills. Sounds like a professional journalist
You are too kind. She was a summa *** laude Philosophy graduate at UCLA. So you can say she's got writing skills. But almost everything she wrote during college was incomprehensible to me lol. It's nice to see this fun and witty part of her writing skills.

I suggested she writes more posts about cars especially Lexus. So maybe go to http://www.bloglovin.com and subscribe to her desgettier blog. That way she knows she has auto enthusiast readers following her blog.

Thanks I'm very lucky indeed.

Yes mine is a 4GS. I would love to have those F Sport gauges on my GS. I'm jealous of you 3IS guys. Those gauges look so damn sick!

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
I hope, and assume since you posted her pictures that you were showing off....lol

She's a very attractive looking person.
Haha I'll take that as a compliment.

Originally Posted by natnut
I think this photo shoot failed completely since all I can focus on right now is the very attractive young lady in the pictures. The point of the photoshoot is to advertise the car right?

Suspect the views and replies to this thread will increase markedly after post #18.
I mentioned some of these comments to her and she laughed. She said your Lexus guys are very classy and sooo polite. Again thanks for the kind words guys.

Actually that was our first photo shoot ever. I've never taken pics of cars with a girl in it before. I remembered her telling me I need a couple shots of her in my car but with an actual SLR. I ran over to a friend's house and borrowed his Nikon. Then we just started shooting an hour before sunset. Glad you guys like the pics. I would love to take more pics, of the car of course