Bulbs replaced with LED bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 12:17 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default the ricey-est shop ever...

Originally Posted by wildtigg3r
Richie - Where do you buy your LED bulbs?
@andyl - the bulb sizes I gave are right. They might be compatible sizes to the stock/manual sizes. turn signals are 7444 and reverse lights say they are 921. But I used the sizes in my previous post.

@wildtigg3r - in so cal (don't know where in so cal you are =/) at the Puente hills mall there is a shop....auto something...but it's the ricey-est shop ever. BUT they have a wall full of BULBS. each bulb cost $20. Cheaper online? maybe...but I wanted it NOW...lol. Four bulbs, reverse bulbs came as a pair so it was around $100 to replace all of the bulbs. =) I'll post pics soon but they are bright as hell. Brighter than the stock bulbs and the color is a dead on match to the rear LEDs.

you might want to look into installing resistors cause this replacement will leave you with hyper blink. I don't mind it too much so im not installing resistors.
Old 07-15-13, 08:54 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu
@andyl - the bulb sizes I gave are right. They might be compatible sizes to the stock/manual sizes. turn signals are 7444 and reverse lights say they are 921. But I used the sizes in my previous post.

@wildtigg3r - in so cal (don't know where in so cal you are =/) at the Puente hills mall there is a shop....auto something...but it's the ricey-est shop ever. BUT they have a wall full of BULBS. each bulb cost $20. Cheaper online? maybe...but I wanted it NOW...lol. Four bulbs, reverse bulbs came as a pair so it was around $100 to replace all of the bulbs. =) I'll post pics soon but they are bright as hell. Brighter than the stock bulbs and the color is a dead on match to the rear LEDs.

you might want to look into installing resistors cause this replacement will leave you with hyper blink. I don't mind it too much so im not installing resistors.
Hi thejaperu,

Thanks for getting back with some great info. If the reverse light is 921, then it is promising that I can use the LED I have in the 2IS (921 or T16 if using Japanese manufacturers' terminology).
Old 07-16-13, 10:37 AM
HIDPH
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have confirmed fitment and compatibility for the LED upgrades for the 2014+ IS.

Just shoot us a private message if you guys need anything =)
Old 07-21-13, 09:27 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't been able to figure out how to replace the puddle mirror lights yet
Old 07-21-13, 10:24 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default huh?

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
I haven't been able to figure out how to replace the puddle mirror lights yet
puddle mirror lights?
Old 07-22-13, 04:54 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thejaperu
puddle mirror lights?
The lights underneath the out side rear view mirrors that come on when you open and close the car doors
Old 07-22-13, 01:46 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
The lights underneath the out side rear view mirrors that come on when you open and close the car doors
The lights for the side mirrors are not difficult to change. You just have to be extra careful. Better have clean and dry door panels (i.e. car wash) or there is a chance you mar the paint in the surrounding area accidentally.

Use some cloth and masking tape for the area you work on. You may need to rest the mirror pieces on the top of the window rubber seal momentarily. I have done that in 2IS and RX.

As the assembly of 3IS side mirrors look similar to that of CT, you may find this thread useful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...dle-lamps.html
Old 07-22-13, 02:02 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AndyL
The lights for the side mirrors are not difficult to change. You just have to be extra careful. Better have clean and dry door panels (i.e. car wash) or there is a chance you mar the paint in the surrounding area accidentally.

Use some cloth and masking tape for the area you work on. You may need to rest the mirror pieces on the top of the window rubber seal momentarily. I have done that in 2IS and RX.

As the assembly of 3IS side mirrors look similar to that of CT, you may find this thread useful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...dle-lamps.html

Thanks very much for the info, I think I will tackle that project next weekend.
Old 04-17-14, 05:09 PM
Christian3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have a by step procedure or pics on how to install the led bulbs once in hand? As in how to take off the plastics to get into reach of the bulbs, also on how to get to the side mirrors?
Old 04-17-14, 10:36 PM
WiLz
Driver

Originally Posted by Christian3
anyone have a by step procedure or pics on how to install the led bulbs once in hand? As in how to take off the plastics to get into reach of the bulbs, also on how to get to the side mirrors?
Search "led bulb" in the 3IS forums and you'll find most of the info you need.
The interior pieces just pop off with a thin flat-head screwdriver. Just look for the little "notches" on the edges, and start there.

Footwell:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-included.html

Side mirror puddle lights:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...th-photos.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...install-2.html
Old 09-10-16, 09:22 AM
Baconn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r0shiro
1) changed the front turn signal bulbs to LED bulbs - no DIY for this one, it doesn't require the removal of the bumper like the 2IS. This is straight plug and play.

2) replaced reverse bulbs with LED bulbs. No DIY needed for this one either...simply remove necessary clips to remove enough of the truck lining to see the bulb connector, twist, remove, replace, twist back on. =)

3) changed rear turn signal bulbs to LED bulbs. If there is a demand for a DIY I will create one. It's not the hardest install, fairly simple, but i can take a lot of the guessing game out for you guys if you'd like. Could also serve as a "replace your tail lamp" DIY. let me know peeps...

Note*** i did not install any type of resistor to avoid the "hyper blink" this install creates....but hey..its a lease and i dont want to mess with wiring if i dont "have" to.
Can you make a DIY for the rear signal bulbs? Ive replaced every single bulb on the car minus the stock HIDS, the front DRL LEDs of course, the license plate less and led tail lamps since those are all soldered on. The Rear signal is harder than I thought.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-16, 10:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Baconn
Can you make a DIY for the rear signal bulbs? Ive replaced every single bulb on the car minus the stock HIDS, the front DRL LEDs of course, the license plate less and led tail lamps since those are all soldered on. The Rear signal is harder than I thought.

Thanks!
Yeah I did it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oper-leds.html

It's easy. Two 10mm bolts on each tail light. Pry off plastic screw caps then use 10mm socket to remove. Then tail light pulls straight out. You will need resistors or you'll get a hyper blink. Already tried it. See my DIY link to find out what to do.
Old 09-10-16, 11:32 AM
Baconn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yeah I did it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oper-leds.html

It's easy. Two 10mm bolts on each tail light. Pry off plastic screw caps then use 10mm socket to remove. Then tail light pulls straight out. You will need resistors or you'll get a hyper blink. Already tried it. See my DIY link to find out what to do.
Yea I came across your thread and saw it before. Was hoping for pictures cause I wasn't sure what two 10mm bolts everyone was referring too but then I found them. Pretty easy like you said. I didn't tape off enough on the rovers side and scratched the paint a little pulling it out . Lesson learned and did the passenger side fine. Thank You! Mine came with built in decoders so i just plugged in the new bulb and new socket into the housing. The old socket and decoder i tucked in the little space down and under the tail lamp behind it. Fits with ease so I didn't have to wire anything through the rubber grommet into the trunk.
Old 09-10-16, 04:15 PM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Baconn
Yea I came across your thread and saw it before. Was hoping for pictures cause I wasn't sure what two 10mm bolts everyone was referring too but then I found them. Pretty easy like you said. I didn't tape off enough on the rovers side and scratched the paint a little pulling it out . Lesson learned and did the passenger side fine. Thank You! Mine came with built in decoders so i just plugged in the new bulb and new socket into the housing. The old socket and decoder i tucked in the little space down and under the tail lamp behind it. Fits with ease so I didn't have to wire anything through the rubber grommet into the trunk.
Link to the LEDs with decoder you used please? Thanks.
Old 09-10-16, 05:44 PM
Baconn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RocketG35
Link to the LEDs with decoder you used please? Thanks.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-Fl...s-p/20-001.htm

They are VERY bright lol. I got a set for the front and rear. I also got white instead of amber. I don't like amber bulbs at all. Its illegal here but I like the cleaner look.