IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 w/ F-Sport package or Base IS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 02:05 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my 250. It has more than enough power for me. Around here there is traffic and I drive around with my 2 kids so I didnt need to spend the extra on a 350 to "smoke" the other cars like these other guys.

Last edited by John510; 07-11-13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-12-13, 02:52 AM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd opt for a non F-sport IS350 vs an F-sport IS250 if price is almost the same.

300hp is not "very" fast nowadays and the normal IS looks and feels very good already in my opinion.
Old 07-12-13, 08:37 AM
Celledral
Rookie

I guess since i have a few side jobs lined up i can use that towards the 350F sport. Do you guys think in a month or two max I can get 1k-2k off Msrp without trading in? Every little bit helps at the moment. I told my sis i would rent her a porsche for her wedding, but if i can pick up that 350F at a good price it'll be two birds with one stone.
Old 07-14-13, 05:57 PM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

For what it's worth, my thought is Lexus should not offer a IS250 F Sport. It reminds me of a Pontiac Fiero wrapped in a Lamborghini Diablo body. Not to say the IS350 is a Lamborghini Diablo but to say the representation should be true to the ability. The IS250 F Sport is hollow in character and weakens the F Sport standard.
Old 07-14-13, 06:19 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eeMatt
For what it's worth, my thought is Lexus should not offer a IS250 F Sport. It reminds me of a Pontiac Fiero wrapped in a Lamborghini Diablo body. Not to say the IS350 is a Lamborghini Diablo but to say the representation should be true to the ability. The IS250 F Sport is hollow in character and weakens the F Sport standard.
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyone say on these forums.
Old 07-14-13, 07:18 PM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John510
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard anyone say on these forums.
Hi John510,

I understand if you have a different opinion or standard. However, could you please offer a more valid rebuttal than my opinion is the stupidest thing you have ever heard anyone say on these forums?

Regards,
Matt
Old 07-14-13, 07:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi John510,

I understand if you have a different opinion or standard. However, could you please offer a more valid rebuttal than my opinion is the stupidest thing you have ever heard anyone say on these forums?

Regards,
Matt
The Fiero 2M4 or the 2M6/GT ?
The Fiero was so poorly engineered and unreliable that it was easily squashed by the MR2... I won't go into this as it's the wrong forum but to relate the IS250 F-Sport to a Fiero, even the GT, is absurd.

Perhaps what you meant to say was to keep the F-Sport exclusive to the more powerful engine (350) as it dilutes the exclusivity of the performance package being offered with the weaker engine. I can understand that, but my rebuttal to that is, Lexus got me as a buyer and surely others as well who can't afford or want to spend $5K more on the 350. More F-Sports on the road = more brand awareness. Marketing at its best

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-14-13 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 07:57 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You buy any GM product and you may find some with elite power and some with good style, but all are a reliability nightmare and do not age well.

Considering a Lexus for power/speed only is missing out on a lot of luxury, style, and reliability.

Toyota, Nissan, and Honda luxury brands are something special in themselves. I would not venture outside that trinity.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-14-13, 07:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by unc879wins
You buy any GM product and you may find some with elite power and some with good style, but all are a reliability nightmare and do not age well.

Considering a Lexus for power/speed only is missing out on a lot of luxury, style, and reliability.

Toyota, Nissan, and Honda luxury brands are something special in themselves. I would not venture outside that trinity.

Just my opinion.
Agreed
Old 07-14-13, 08:31 PM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
The Fiero 2M4 or the 2M6/GT ?
The Fiero was so poorly engineered and unreliable that it was easily squashed by the MR2... I won't go into this as it's the wrong forum but to relate the IS250 F-Sport to a Fiero, even the GT, is absurd.

Perhaps what you meant to say was to keep the F-Sport exclusive to the more powerful engine (350) as it dilutes the exclusivity of the performance package being offered with the weaker engine. I can understand that, but my rebuttal to that is, Lexus got me as a buyer and surely others as well who can't afford or want to spend $5K more on the 350. More F-Sports on the road = more brand awareness. Marketing at its best
Hi CorradoMR2,

That is a valid point. Lexus has you as a buyer, which equals more brand awareness. However, does that contribute to more success for Lexus? Maybe Lexus should make a $15k 1.0L IS F Sport and get more brand awareness. There is a standard associated with Lexus and a standard associated with F Sport. When Lexus chooses to build an F Sport at a lower standard, it degrades the name F Sport. What would a Shelby Mustang be if there were a 100 hp four-cylinder option? I have a stock unmodified 1999 Honda Civic that would kill any 2014 IS250 F Sport in a drag or autocross. How can we stamp a car with F Sport when it has no sport capabilities at all? But hey, we have more people driving them!

Regards,
Matt
Old 07-14-13, 08:46 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Having driven the IS250 F-sport and the IS350 base, I'd take the 250 F-sport over the base 350 any day of the week. The F-sport package adds a TON of stuff that really changes the whole feel of the car from a boring entry-level luxury sedan, to an exciting entry-level sport sedan. The IS250 F-sport was more fun to drive than the base 350 so I don't think it weakens anything. I think it's proof that the F-sport standard is actually quite good.

And you know, it's not always about top speed; for some of us it's about having a practical, luxurious car that's also super fun to drive. Think of the Miata or the BRZ: they're super fun, but don't have tons of power. They're also hopelessly impractical. I think the IS250 F-sport takes that formula and adds back seats and a massive trunk. Those things are pretty mandatory for anyone in their mid-thirties or later.

My $0.02.

Last edited by Stillhart; 07-14-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 09:11 PM
eeMatt
Driver School Candidate

Hi Stillhart,

Your post reminded me of the original poster's question. I must apologize to the original poster because I deviated the thread into a philosophical concept about brand awareness. To answer the original question, I vote IS250 F Sport. I know this seems contrary to my position but my position is that the IS250 shouldn't even exist. I suggest any IS250 F Sport buyer strongly consider the IS350 F Sport. At this point, who cares about $4k? Save your money for a couple of months and get something you'll love!

Regards,
Matt
Old 07-15-13, 10:24 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an only car/DD? I would say IS350, and it's not even close.

As a DD, the IS250 F Sport's slight handling advantages over the IS350 are of little consequence. Passing power and punching holes in traffic is more important to me. And the IS250, in any form, is gutless.

My first car (in 2001) was a 1990 ES250 that my parents bought new in 1989 before anybody even knew what Lexus was. Now, what, 25 years later and Lexus's entry-level V6 is still 2.5L but making barely 25 ft-lbs more torque than that 1990 2.5 V6? Come on. To each his own, but I think it's foolish to pay almost $40k for a vehicle that needs 8 seconds to clear 60MPH. At first I was being my usual cheapskate self and thought the IS250 might be an acceptable vehicle, but after further consideration I realized the performance penalty was just too harsh and I would get quickly annoyed. Any IS250 is now scratched off my list. There are too many other good choices, the IS350 being one of them, even in base trim!
Old 07-15-13, 10:35 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Drove an IS250 as a loaner -- own an IS350 Fsport. Get the 350. Will give you greater thrill from added acceleration. Sports + option is not a daily option to use. Unless you like to rev engines above 6500 RPM all of the time to get some thrust. The 250 is doable but I guarantee you'll regret not having the extra horsepower more often than you'll wish you had extra handling.
Old 07-15-13, 11:16 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
Drove an IS250 as a loaner -- own an IS350 Fsport. Get the 350. Will give you greater thrill from added acceleration. Sports + option is not a daily option to use. Unless you like to rev engines above 6500 RPM all of the time to get some thrust. The 250 is doable but I guarantee you'll regret not having the extra horsepower more often than you'll wish you had extra handling.
The thing is, the 350 doesn't feel that much more powerful under 4500 rpm, where it hits peak torque. I think that's what disappointed me most about the 350 engine. I don't want to be revving the snot out of it to feel the power. V6's are supposed to feel more torquey than that...

Quick Reply: 2014 IS250 w/ F-Sport package or Base IS350