IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need to find a wheel lock key / just bought a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 10:34 AM
fastvance1
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need to find a wheel lock key / just bought a car

I just bought a used IS200t, and the rear wheels have wheel locks. The fronts don't, which I thought was odd. For every Lexus I have ever owned (this is my 4th), the first thing I always do is replace those wheel locks with regular lug nuts from the dealer. I can't find the wheel lock key in this car. In the picture, it looks like it might be missing. Can someone confirm the key is supposed to be next to the lug wrench in the attached picture? Is there another location in the car where the wheel lock key might me hidden? Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement key other than the Lexus dealer? Thanks!

Old 08-18-19, 11:42 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That recessed area in the foam is indeed where the key is supposed to sit,

Most wheel shops can get those wheel looks off in like 5 seconds, $20 bucks or less usually too,
So if you were planning to swap them out anyways, I would recommend just going to a wheel shop to have them removed, The lock nuts will usually be toast after removal as it's these spline like things that grabs onto the surface to remove them.
Old 08-18-19, 12:45 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvance1
I just bought a used IS200t, and the rear wheels have wheel locks. The fronts don't, which I thought was odd. For every Lexus I have ever owned (this is my 4th), the first thing I always do is replace those wheel locks with regular lug nuts from the dealer. I can't find the wheel lock key in this car. In the picture, it looks like it might be missing. Can someone confirm the key is supposed to be next to the lug wrench in the attached picture? Is there another location in the car where the wheel lock key might me hidden? Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement key other than the Lexus dealer? Thanks!

Sometimes it’s somewhere else as not everyone puts it back where it belongs. Check glove box, arm rest storage etc
Old 08-18-19, 05:31 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The dealer will have a master set that will have that key in it.
If you already have two nuts to put on, they will likely remove the 2 wheel locks and install the 2 nuts for free. It's not even worth opening a work order and putting it into the shop.
Old 08-19-19, 03:00 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I do the opposite. First thing I do is get a set of wheel locks.

Yeah yeah anyone can steal anything. Not the point. Not all thieves are created equal and the thief that doesn't feel like messing with a lock and decides spending an extra 30 seconds on *your* wheel isn't worth it, advantage: you. All for $25.

The locks are typically hardened steel, so whatever method is used is probably going to require an unacceptable (to the thief) level of noise.
Old 08-19-19, 06:49 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I do the opposite. First thing I do is get a set of wheel locks.

Yeah yeah anyone can steal anything. Not the point. Not all thieves are created equal and the thief that doesn't feel like messing with a lock and decides spending an extra 30 seconds on *your* wheel isn't worth it, advantage: you. All for $25.

The locks are typically hardened steel, so whatever method is used is probably going to require an unacceptable (to the thief) level of noise.
I'm going with this theory as well, I have 3 different locks on each wheel. If they really want them, they're gonna have to work for it, or just take the whole car then at that point. LOL
Old 08-22-19, 05:33 AM
robawrench
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want a replacement key, you can order one for $20 from McGard, the company that supplies the wheel locks to lexus. As part of the original paperwork that came with the car, there is a folded car / paper that tells you how to buy a replacement key. It also has two numbers on the card (1 for the type of wheel lock, the other for the key number) that you will need to enter on McGard's website.

If you don't this this piece of paper, there are instructions on McGard's website about how to still order a replacement key.