IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lane Changing Ride and Drive Event

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 06:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
Well when my local dealer (Longo Lexus) said I should attend, test drive the IS against the competitors, and get a $1000 coupon which would really sweeten the deal already offered by my dealer, I thought sure.

So I took the 2 hour drive, stayed overnight and somewhat enjoyed the ride and drive event.

But when you ask the folks at the Ride & Drive event if they have the coupons - they said they have no idea.

How poorly trained are those folks - are they actually Lexus employees or contracted temps for the day ?

Interestingly, I found the IS to be too small for me anyway - I am coming from a 335 BMW so the IS was smaller than my BMW.

I wanted a slightly larger car like a 5 series and wished Lexus had the ES300h on display to compare - but none to be seen...

And a final insult was this event had an Audi A4 S Line Premium Plus car which had the Drive Select feature which makes it a top of the A4 line and blew away the Lexus. The A4 unsprung suspension, taut steering, and awesome throttle & exhaust note made everyone turn their heads to see the gorgeous A4 in action.

Seeing that the BMW and Merc cars were the basic stripped versions, I really thought Lexus did not plan the choice of the Audi.

I am actually considering an Audi over the Lexus because of the event.
In the past, the $1000 certificate varied and was not always offered after each event. It looks like they may have pulled it if none were offered in San Diego. I'd be a bit miffed too if I were in your shoes, with it currently being offered throughout the summer. As someone said, I'd call Lexus headquarters and see if they are in a good mood. I missed the deadline for submitting mine back in 2008, but they still honored it a few months later.

That's interesting about the A4. Bare in mind, all 2014 A4 Premium Plus packages come with S-Line trim. So if they specified a mid-grade A4 for the event (the Prestige trim is the top of the line model), it's going to come with the snazzy trim regardless. For what it's worth, the current A4 has no more than a year or year and a half left before the new model shows up. That would be a factor for me if I were in the market.
Old 10-07-13, 06:36 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
Yup, this event was not like the others held at Angel Stadium or elsewhere. Others have talked and said this event at Petco park was a small version without the other Lexus cars on display (only IS cars) and no LFA or pro to talk to...

As a matter of fact, there was no professional person at all - I had to ask how to go around the course by myself. I thought a pro was going to be driving the car to show off the car (RIDE) then I would get to drive it myself (DRIVE) but this event was not even organized.

Their lunch location was a half mile walk in the hot sun to the stadium from the parking lot.

As for the Audi A4, it was superb - I loved the handling and nimble agile ability. Almost want to buy that car that was used in the event for a discount. As I said, the Lexus IS cabin is too small for me - feels like my BMW E90.

I contacted my Lexus dealer and he said he has no control over the $1000 coupon which would have made the car below invoice. Bummer - Lexus lost a sale because they could not deliver a simple manufacturer's coupon.

So I contacted my Audi dealer and he said I need to do a custom production build as the A4 I want - no one has in the entire west coast! Audi dealer quoted me invoice + $250 for a custom built: 2014 A4 w/ S Line, MMI Navigation, Premium Plus, Sport Package, & Side Assist. $43K cap cost with an awesome 57% residual and 1.2% money factor.
If you like the IS350 and would buy it for another $1000 discount I would just work the dealer a bit more. Based on the posts here CA dealers are selling for invoice.
Old 10-07-13, 07:59 PM
Zlots
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the email invites from Anahiem, LA and San Diego and the only one that does not mention the $1000 certificate is San Diego.
Old 10-07-13, 08:07 PM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SonyHome
If you like the IS350 and would buy it for another $1000 discount I would just work the dealer a bit more. Based on the posts here CA dealers are selling for invoice.
Yes I loved the IS350 - engine was snappy and the suspension taut. Loved the variable steering/ gear control on the F sport version!

I just pinged my internet sales guy @ Longo Lexus - will let you know if he can compensate for my trip.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-07-13, 08:08 PM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zlots
I have the email invites from Anahiem, LA and San Diego and the only one that does not mention the $1000 certificate is San Diego.
Well that puts a damper on my mood - I will contact Lexus HQ tomorrow and see what they say...

Maybe I will get lucky and score a $1000 coupon that takes the sting out of the destination charge.
Old 04-10-14, 12:11 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was invited and attended this same event last year. It was fun as hell! I like both the Lexus IS350 F Sport and the BMW 335i.
I have played a lot of Gran Turismo on PS3 so much with the steering wheels after this event because I like to mimic the cool Lexus simulation they had it there lol.

Do they have this event again in 2014?? Anyone got any email invite or know a registration link?
Old 04-10-14, 12:17 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I was invited and attended this same event last year. It was fun as hell! I like both the Lexus IS350 F Sport and the BMW 335i.
I have played a lot of Gran Turismo on PS3 so much with the steering wheels after this event because I like to mimic the cool Lexus simulation they had it there lol.

Do they have this event again in 2014?? Anyone got any email invite or know a registration link?
It's usually only when a new product launches. I say you stick with your Gran Turismo.
Old 04-10-14, 01:05 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS

Maybe they might have one event for RC launch.
Old 04-10-14, 01:40 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

I used my $1000 discount on the LAST day before expiration.