IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front Grill - The inevitable discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 11:00 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my original post I was goofing about debris and stuff getting caught in the front, but I can't help but wonder if keeping it clean will be an issue -- especially in the first couple of years as "real world usage" starts to reveal potential areas for improvement in the design.

When I look at photos of the grill, I picture what the front of my car right around that area looks like during warm weather after I've been on the interstate for any length of time -- caked with dead moths the size of hummingbirds and other random bugs, most of which is on the hood and bumper. Maintaining a good wax job makes that kind of thing come right off in the wash, but the3IS grill design does look like it could be prone for scooping up bits of paper and what not.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design. But I think I'm going to wait a 2-3 years of production before seriously considering one, just to see how things evolve. Still got low miles on my 2010 anyway.
Old 02-28-13, 10:14 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ I see your point....

~ Joe Z
Old 02-28-13, 11:07 AM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MBTC
In my original post I was goofing about debris and stuff getting caught in the front, but I can't help but wonder if keeping it clean will be an issue -- especially in the first couple of years as "real world usage" starts to reveal potential areas for improvement in the design.

When I look at photos of the grill, I picture what the front of my car right around that area looks like during warm weather after I've been on the interstate for any length of time -- caked with dead moths the size of hummingbirds and other random bugs, most of which is on the hood and bumper. Maintaining a good wax job makes that kind of thing come right off in the wash, but the3IS grill design does look like it could be prone for scooping up bits of paper and what not.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design. But I think I'm going to wait a 2-3 years of production before seriously considering one, just to see how things evolve. Still got low miles on my 2010 anyway.
There something called car wash... Audi grill and mitsu EVO grill are about the same size... and they're ok...
Old 02-28-13, 09:45 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by two2tone
There something called car wash... Audi grill and mitsu EVO grill are about the same size... and they're ok...
I addressed the snarky part of your post before you even wrote it; read my prior post again. How much good does a car wash do if you've got a 32 oz McDonalds cup stuck to your grill 5 mins after you leave the wash?

As far as similar grills not having a problem, there were 6 cylinder direct injection engines that didn't have profound carbon build up issues as well, but the initial IS250s did. There can be subtle design differences (more than just the overall size) early on that can affect how a feature fares over time under one design versus another. I'm just saying I'd like to wait and see, not saying I can forsee the future, none of us can.
Old 03-01-13, 12:16 PM
mayuj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you MBTC.

Along with my IS 250, I have a G37S Coupe with the faux vents in the bumper that have the criss cross pattern. Cleaning them is a pain since you have to get into every corner to get the build up of dirt that cakes in there.

Two2tone - I agree that a car wash will clean it enough to "appear" clean. However, I am **** about my detailing and I like to clean by hand. This grille alone, would take me an hour of cleaning to reach my standards.

Back to topic; I saw the car in person at the recent auto show and it really grew on me. The proportions are near perfect and do agree a license plate would break up the overall size of the grille.

All that said... I will be waiting another 2 or more years before pulling the trigger. Also, hoping for an IS-F at that point! Trading in the G and the IS for the F! Fingers crossed they release one!!