IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Feedback from folks who have SEEN the 3IS in person...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 07:09 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
is the new IS built upon the 2IS platform, just more fortified or on the 2013 GS platform?
Shortened 4GS chassis.
Old 02-11-13, 12:05 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After sitting in the gray 350 FSport (Display Audio only- no navi in this model), I was a little disappointed with the finish of some of the materials.

Door Trim: It looks neat but once you touch it, it feels very rough, like you can file your nails on it I mean, it's not as bad as an actual nail file, but I was expecting a smooth finish and it's not.

Center stack: There's a lot of black plastic, as I'm sure you've all seen in the photos. On the center stack, it's actually not bad looking in person, however, the black plastic finish below it, around the seat heater buttons and all along the center console area (where the drive mode select **** is located) is a different grade-- it looks much cheaper and the finish is not as nice. On the models with Navi, you will have the mouse control, so there won't be so much of the plastic area and I don't think it will look as bad.

Faux Leather seats: I was actually really impressed with these seats! They look better than real leather in my opinion! When you press on them, they don't wrinkle like real leather does-- very nice

Upper Dashboard Leather wrapping with stitching: It's soft but, the quality it not as nice as the GS. I'm sure there's no surprise there.

Gauges (LFA Style): This was actually pretty cool and I was VERY impressed! And it's awesome that now you get the navi directions in this screen as well as on the Navi screen itself. You can also change the color of the needles (Sorry i'm sure this is old news) Anyway, looked very cool in person.
Old 02-11-13, 12:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IntegresS
After sitting in the gray 350 FSport (Display Audio only- no navi in this model), I was a little disappointed with the finish of some of the materials.

Door Trim: It looks neat but once you touch it, it feels very rough, like you can file your nails on it I mean, it's not as bad as an actual nail file, but I was expecting a smooth finish and it's not.

Center stack: There's a lot of black plastic, as I'm sure you've all seen in the photos. On the center stack, it's actually not bad looking in person, however, the black plastic finish below it, around the seat heater buttons and all along the center console area (where the drive mode select **** is located) is a different grade-- it looks much cheaper and the finish is not as nice. On the models with Navi, you will have the mouse control, so there won't be so much of the plastic area and I don't think it will look as bad.

Faux Leather seats: I was actually really impressed with these seats! They look better than real leather in my opinion! When you press on them, they don't wrinkle like real leather does-- very nice

Upper Dashboard Leather wrapping with stitching: It's soft but, the quality it not as nice as the GS. I'm sure there's no surprise there.

Gauges (LFA Style): This was actually pretty cool and I was VERY impressed! And it's awesome that now you get the navi directions in this screen as well as on the Navi screen itself. You can also change the color of the needles (Sorry i'm sure this is old news) Anyway, looked very cool in person.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-11-13, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I was a little worried about that, material quality...

The NuLuxe seats are nice, I actually like the feel of them over the leather on the ES. The Semi Aniline leather is a different story.
Old 02-12-13, 09:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

so how does it compare overall to your 2IS?
Old 02-12-13, 03:47 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so how does it compare overall to your 2IS?
Overall, I feel like the design of the interior is better, but the quality of the interior, compared to what I have now, is not as good. I feel like there's more plastic in the next gen.

The exterior is definitely more polarizing than current gen IS, but I do appreciate the aggressive styling of the F-Sport model versus the F Sport that I currently have.

The drive is definitely an improvement and it feels and sounds sportier. I didn't get to drive the 250 however, so i cannot compare apples to apples there. The fact that this one has the Drive mode select is a nice touch though.

At the end of the day, it's all going to come down to price and packages-- one thing i never did like about Lexus was that in order to get package X, i was forced to take option Y. I'm not sure what the strategy is going to look like for the next IS, but I'm hoping it's better.
Old 02-12-13, 08:40 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

At the end of the day, it's all going to come down to price and packages-- one thing i never did like about Lexus was that in order to get package X, i was forced to take option Y. I'm not sure what the strategy is going to look like for the next IS, but I'm hoping it's better.
That's the Honda mentality in option packaging. I agree, that's not the way to go.
Old 02-13-13, 06:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Overall, I feel like the design of the interior is better, but the quality of the interior, compared to what I have now, is not as good. I feel like there's more plastic in the next gen.

The exterior is definitely more polarizing than current gen IS, but I do appreciate the aggressive styling of the F-Sport model versus the F Sport that I currently have.

The drive is definitely an improvement and it feels and sounds sportier. I didn't get to drive the 250 however, so i cannot compare apples to apples there. The fact that this one has the Drive mode select is a nice touch though.

cool, i just have to point out that there is def more plastic in 2IS... in 3IS they at least have leather knee pads while in my 2IS loaded i hit hard plastic everywhere :-)... leather pad on the top of the instrument panel is also cool. You are probably thinking about color of those plastics, i guess i have to see them, but it is not like our current painted plastic is state of the art really.

did nuluxe have those letter L embossed into it?

thanks!
Old 02-13-13, 11:33 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gemini1
I was at Lexus HQ in Torrance last week and was able to sit in it.

Very fresh new look!
I'm guessing pictures don't do it justice.
Old 02-13-13, 03:21 PM
thejake
Driver School Candidate

Saw a black IS 350 F-Sport at the Chicago Autoshow today. Very striking design. For me, it outpaces its peers.
Old 02-13-13, 09:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Some major dealers are now getting models to display. Keyes in Van Nuys had a grey F-sport the other day.