Sound System Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 08:04 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sound System Advice

Hey all,

Just wondering, is it possible to get better sound out of the Mark Levinson in my 06 IS350 if I were to replace the stock ML amp?

I remember reading somewhere that the stock speaker in the ML are actually of a good quality and I figured maybe I could just swap the stock amp for an aftermarket one. Is this possible? Would you recommend I do this?

Keep in mind that I am talking about the door/dash speakers and NOT the subwoofer. My subwoofer blew out and I already have plans to swap in a Kicker CompR but figured I might as well upgrade everything at once lol

All advice is greatly appreciated as always
Old 03-05-15, 08:34 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm no expert, nor do I have ML speakers, but generally the stock amp and speakers are paired together to provide quite decent sound quality. I doubt just swamping the amp/amps would make the system sound better, especially for the money and hassle it would take. I would say either go all out and do speakers as well or just put in a better sub woofer.
Old 03-05-15, 04:08 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I cant stand stock anything. I have almost all my components and will do a new lift on the system. Wish I had more info on the amp but if u upgrade the amp you're bound to blow ur mids, if you like it loud like me. Stock speakers can handle only so much. I havern't done the research to what they can handle, powrer, but i'm sure it's not much with an upgraded amp. I've heard that the whole system is decent for it being manufacture quality but too me it sucks. Lol. Hope I didn't offend anyone but it's jus my opinion.
Maybe someone can chime in with better knowledge.
Old 03-06-15, 11:33 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by srt1
I cant stand stock anything. I have almost all my components and will do a new lift on the system. Wish I had more info on the amp but if u upgrade the amp you're bound to blow ur mids, if you like it loud like me. Stock speakers can handle only so much. I havern't done the research to what they can handle, powrer, but i'm sure it's not much with an upgraded amp. I've heard that the whole system is decent for it being manufacture quality but too me it sucks. Lol. Hope I didn't offend anyone but it's jus my opinion.
Maybe someone can chime in with better knowledge.
Thanks Srt1. Yeah I think the stock ML is decent for stock, but as a kid my older brother always had loud aftermarket systems in all their rides so I guess, to my ears anyway, the ML is okay.

As it stands my ML subwoofer blew on me like 3 months ago and my system has been really lacking in overall sound. So I figured I'd install an aftermarket 12" Kicker CompR and amp, and figured I might as well save up and do the rest if I can. However I'm not made of money either lol
Old 03-06-15, 12:05 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all it depends on what YOU as the listener likes. To some the ML may sound awesome. I thought it was pretty good but like you said, you've heard loud stuff before and kinda like that. I liked the stock system for a bit and then I installed a JL Audio 12W6 and a JL 500/1 which was fine for a while. Then I wanted LOUDER. So then I changed more up front and woofer.

Here's what I had done. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Old 03-06-15, 09:42 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sffd103
First of all it depends on what YOU as the listener likes. To some the ML may sound awesome. I thought it was pretty good but like you said, you've heard loud stuff before and kinda like that. I liked the stock system for a bit and then I installed a JL Audio 12W6 and a JL 500/1 which was fine for a while. Then I wanted LOUDER. So then I changed more up front and woofer.

Here's what I had done. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Damn that is a sweet setup. I wish I could go all out like that but I think for now I'll end up just doing the Sub install first and see where that takes me. I really want to have a setup like this in the future though.

Thanks for the insight!!!
Old 03-07-15, 02:58 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Damn that is a sweet setup. I wish I could go all out like that but I think for now I'll end up just doing the Sub install first and see where that takes me. I really want to have a setup like this in the future though.

Thanks for the insight!!!
Here's what I did for just adding a sub.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-install.html
Old 03-07-15, 04:05 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 355F1
Here's what I did for just adding a sub.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...h-install.html
Cool! That's actually what I'm planning to do pretty much, only I think I will be getting a stealth box against the back seats (blocking my pass through). Thanks for posting