IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Pulling to the Right

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 05:40 PM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default IS250 Pulling to the Right

My 2010 IS250 had no pulling issues prior to July. I tried to save some money, so I bought four Continental DWS tires and had them installed at Sears. They were very noisy and my car pulled badly to the right. I went to a local Midas shop to have them check alignment, and they found nothing wrong. I then took it to the Lexus dealer, and they did an alignment and said it was good to go. As I drove away from Lexus, I noticed it still pulling. I drove back to the dealership and the service manager rode with me. He too noticed the pull. I left my car at Lexus and they ended up putting another set of four wheels off of an IS on their lot, and there was no pull. So, they took care of a warranty claim with Continental Tires and put four new DWS tires on my car. There was no tire pull, and I was good to go.

Fast forward to last week. I had my car back at Lexus for the 50k service, which included a tire rotation. My car AGAIN pulls to the right just like it did before. The steering wheel is perfectly aligned, but when I let go of the wheel (especially at speeds higher than 30 mph) the car begins to drift right.

What could cause this, and what should I do? I've already spend around $1000 to have tires mounted twice and an alignment done.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions!
Old 10-05-14, 06:01 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Misbalanced tires again.
Old 10-05-14, 06:57 PM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

When I had the tire rotation done, I also had the front and rear brakes replaced. Could that have caused this?
Old 10-05-14, 07:56 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Is it a RWD model. the rims are staggered and usually the rears are 255? did they accidentally put one rear in the front? or do you have a front rim that is actually a rear 8.5 with a 225 on it? pulling to the right could be because one has more surface area contact than the other
Old 10-06-14, 04:50 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wallaceb
When I had the tire rotation done, I also had the front and rear brakes replaced. Could that have caused this?
Only if one of the brakes on the right hand side are sticking. Don't think that maybe your case though.

I think it could be something similar to what I've observed with my AWD. One of my rear tires was worn out more than the other, so when I rotated them they started pulling after only having an alignment from Lexus no longer than a week before rotating. So I brought it back to Lexus to get the alignment checked. Moments later the service adviser told me that the alignment was fine and it was my tires. They then undid my rotation and told me to come back in 5,000 miles where they will then flip my tires as well as rotate them free of charge. Car now doesn't pull to the right anymore.
Old 10-06-14, 07:36 AM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

I just had four new tires mounted back in late August. Could one already be worn though?
Old 10-06-14, 01:18 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

This wouldn't be the first time I've read of Continental tires doing such things. Also heard they've got soft sidewalls.

Wish you luck on your mystery "pull" issue.
Old 10-07-14, 01:34 PM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

I am on my second set of the DWS tires, the first are what they blamed the original tire pull. Is my best bet to take the car back to Lexus to repair, or just deal with it?
Old 10-07-14, 01:48 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

What you are most likely experiencing is "radial pull " from one of the tires that was recently rotated to the front...

Check this link for a full explanation:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/181
Old 10-07-14, 02:48 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike33
What you are most likely experiencing is "radial pull " from one of the tires that was recently rotated to the front...

Check this link for a full explanation:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/181
^ This was informative and explains a lot.

I just had four new tires mounted back in late August. Could one already be worn though?
I am on my second set of the DWS tires, the first are what they blamed the original tire pull. Is my best bet to take the car back to Lexus to repair, or just deal with it?
Always the possibility or the reason that mike33 gave with the radial pull. I'd take it back to Lexus and explain your situation and let them feel the pull and go from there.
Old 10-17-14, 10:11 PM
250IS2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had brand new Continentials aligned on when I had just purchased this car, .. Same EXACT problem, it was slightly pulling to the right. Replaced those with Michelin HX MXM4's, realigned them and no problem ever occurred..