VSC vs TRAC

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 10:29 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VSC vs TRAC

Alright stupid question...

Vehicle stability control ( the pedal procedure)vs traction control ( the push button)

what turns off what? I have done both but I don't know what both exactly do.

Traction control turns off the power being sent to the right wheel? then what does vsc do? Which setting makes the car the fastest and which makes the car the slowest?

also side note.. my VSC check sometimes comes on then goes off occasionally at start up... that a problem?
Old 08-25-14, 03:54 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 243 Posts

The pedal dance turns traction control off until the next time the car is restarted, while pressing the button only turns it off until the car exceeds 30 MPH.
Old 08-25-14, 03:53 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
The pedal dance turns traction control off until the next time the car is restarted, while pressing the button only turns it off until the car exceeds 30 MPH.
The pedal dance BAHAHA thats pretty funny. hmm I didn't know that. Anyway that you that helps a lot.

So what else does the VSC do on this car in general. Controls power to the wheels? Brakeing? anything else? and is it strong or is it weak? Like can I even tell its off if I'm pushing it?
Old 08-25-14, 05:20 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 2 ways to turn it off:
1. Pedal dance in 2006 model.
2. Press and hold the traction off button for 5 seconds or so until the skid orange light comes on. This works for model 2007-2013.

Once it is off, the VSC and Tranction are both off. The car is in YOUR total control. Don't do it unless you know how to control a car well.

I have turned it off when I go to autocross or race on track because I want to slide the car around with oversteering and I know what I'm doing. Again, don't do it on street unless you know how to control oversteer. you can skid and spin out easily if you are not careful.
Old 08-27-14, 11:54 AM
sparta3993
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
There are 2 ways to turn it off:
1. Pedal dance in 2006 model.
2. Press and hold the traction off button for 5 seconds or so until the skid orange light comes on. This works for model 2007-2013.

Once it is off, the VSC and Tranction are both off. The car is in YOUR total control. Don't do it unless you know how to control a car well.

I have turned it off when I go to autocross or race on track because I want to slide the car around with oversteering and I know what I'm doing. Again, don't do it on street unless you know how to control oversteer. you can skid and spin out easily if you are not careful.
I wish your reading skills were as good as your "driving skills"

its a 250 I'm sure I can handle oversteer on a 200 hp engine.

this is what I'm really after.

So what else does the VSC do on this car in general. Controls power to the wheels? Brakeing? anything else? and is it strong or is it weak? Like can I even tell its off if I'm pushing it?
Old 08-27-14, 01:03 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sparta3993
I wish your reading skills were as good as your "driving skills"

its a 250 I'm sure I can handle oversteer on a 200 hp engine.

this is what I'm really after.

Woah woah woah... calm down boss! No need to go into the personal attack mode boss.

First I did not know what car (IS250 or IS350) that you were referring to. I did assume you were running a IS350. Anyways, enough of that and back on topic.

In my experience of having VSC/traction control on vs. off, I feel that when it is on, it completely put the car in sleep mode. What I mean is that the computer will do everything it can to prevent you to slide even small slide.

I tried to power oversteer the car with traction on, what i get is i believe a complete brake on 4 brakes, a sudden pause of engine power, and an assist of the steering feel (it does some counter steering on its own quickly).

When the traction control is off, it is completely up to to MY control, I can sense the rear wheel getting loose and start sliding, I then counter steer, and then tap a bit on the gas and straighten out the steering wheel to stabilize it again. The brake, the engine power, the steering are all in my control.

I tested these with my IS350 on autocross, please take a look at this thread if you have the time https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...b-for-fun.html

By no mean I'm an expert pro driver, but I know this IS inside and out pretty well. I own both the IS250 and IS350.

Both cars are very tail happy once the traction control is off but the IS350 is way easier to induce oversteer due to its higher torque and power. The IS250 is actually harder to initiate the oversteer but i believe sustaining the oversteer is quite ok on both cars. They are very fun to drive.

If you like oversteering, I would definitely highly recommend you to get the F Sport rear sway bar!!!

Last edited by FSportIS; 08-27-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-27-14, 01:42 PM
sparta3993
Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Woah woah woah... calm down boss! No need to go into the personal attack mode boss.

First I did not know what car (IS250 or IS350) that you were referring to. I did assume you were running a IS350. Anyways, enough of that and back on topic.

In my experience of having VSC/traction control on vs. off, I feel that when it is on, it completely put the car in sleep mode. What I mean is that the computer will do everything it can to prevent you to slide even small slide.

I tried to power oversteer the car with traction on, what i get is i believe a complete brake on 4 brakes, a sudden pause of engine power, and an assist of the steering feel (it does some counter steering on its own quickly).

When the traction control is off, it is completely up to to MY control, I can sense the rear wheel getting loose and start sliding, I then counter steer, and then tap a bit on the gas and straighten out the steering wheel to stabilize it again. The brake, the engine power, the steering are all in my control.

I tested these with my IS350 on autocross, please take a look at this thread if you have the time https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...b-for-fun.html

By no mean I'm an expert pro driver, but I know this IS inside and out pretty well. I own both the IS250 and IS350.

Both cars are very tail happy once the traction control is off but the IS350 is way easier to induce oversteer due to its higher torque and power. The IS250 is actually harder to initiate the oversteer but i believe sustaining the oversteer is quite ok on both cars. They are very fun to drive.

If you like oversteering, I would definitely highly recommend you to get the F Sport rear sway bar!!!
Haha Got your attention now. Wow thats great thats exactly what I was looking for. That answered my question 10 times better then I had hoped! If you got a iMessage number you should definitely inbox me and hook me up if you know these cars inside and out or Facebook. I got so many questions about my car its stupid.

I checked out your thread. Pretty Jealous Ill have to say.
Old 08-28-14, 10:55 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

You can continue ask questions here and also you can PM me your contact info for more questions. Just PM me there.