Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Mark Levison speakers on stock unit good?

Old 06-24-14, 08:48 AM   #1
idoke1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

Default Mark Levison speakers on stock unit good?

Hi guys. I've been wondering if anyone has more info about upgrading the stock 2nd IS speakers to Mark Levinson speakers and if there is any sound difference at all with the stock non ML amp?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 06-24-14, 09:40 AM   #2
szrae
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (7)

szrae szrae szrae

I don't think it'll sounds any better without the proper power going to the speakers. If I recall correctly, stock speakers are made by Pioneer
Old 06-24-14, 09:56 AM   #3
FSportIS
Lexus Test Driver

The Mark Levinson speakers and the Mark Levinson amp, i mean the whole system, should work together to produce crisp sound with super low distortion. I don't think replacing the speakers on a non-ML system would give you ideal sound. I think probably you get better mid frequency.

I have ML system on one car and stock on another. The ML system mid and high are sooooooooo much crisper and cleaner with no distortion even at high volume. With the surround sound, listening to R&B, pop is awesome as hell.
2012 IS250 FSport Package & Nav: FSport Exhaust & Intake & Rear Sway Bar, Eibach Springs, TSW Nurburgring Wheels, 3M Clear Bra, Blue Brake Calipers, Molded MyRide Diffuser, 8000k HID all around, Blue Interior LEDs, JL Audio, Opticoat Entire Car.

2006 IS350 Luxury Package & Nav & Mark Levinson : FSport Springs & Shocks & Rear Sway Bar, M2 exhaust, Yellow Brake Calipers, MyRide Diffuser, 3000k HID Fog, Opticoat Entire Car.
FSportIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 10:24 AM   #4
szrae
Lead Lap

szrae szrae szrae

I've been looking into upgrading the stereo system as a whole for a while now. Not sure if swapping in ML components and amp is better than going full aftermarket.
Old 06-24-14, 10:50 AM   #5
Jeff Lange
Lexus Champion

The locations and sizes of the speakers in cars that have Mark Levinson is different than in cars that don't. You can't just put the speakers into another car without getting different door panels, parcel tray, etc.

Plus not actually having the ML amp will mean you aren't really getting the full experience anyway.

Jeff

2011 GSE20 Lexus IS250 Obsidian "F-Sport 6MT" with LSD
1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged with TRD Stuff
1993 TCR10 Previa 5MT Race Van
1991 FJ80 Land Cruiser Station Wagon
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 11:09 AM   #6
FSportIS
Lexus Test Driver

The stock Pioneer system is actually quite good, it is actually comparable to some good aftermarket set up out there. The only thing that is lacking is the low bass. Therefore, lots of members on here add JL Audio amp and bass and keep the stock Pioneer mid/high set up.
2012 IS250 FSport Package & Nav: FSport Exhaust & Intake & Rear Sway Bar, Eibach Springs, TSW Nurburgring Wheels, 3M Clear Bra, Blue Brake Calipers, Molded MyRide Diffuser, 8000k HID all around, Blue Interior LEDs, JL Audio, Opticoat Entire Car.

2006 IS350 Luxury Package & Nav & Mark Levinson : FSport Springs & Shocks & Rear Sway Bar, M2 exhaust, Yellow Brake Calipers, MyRide Diffuser, 3000k HID Fog, Opticoat Entire Car.
Old 06-24-14, 12:28 PM   #7
getafewliv
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Unless you are a crazy audiophile and want top of the line expensive gear, you are wasting your time by trying to upgrade the stock system.

If you were a crazy audiophile, you probably wouldn't be asking these questions on this forum, you would already know or would be working with a specialized shop.

With that being said, if it is the umph and bass you are looking for, put in an aftermarket amp and sub(s).

I have 2 JL 10W6 subs and a JL 1000/1 amp and it sounds awesome. Nice and clear and hits hard!

2006 Lexus IS350 Smokey Granite Mica w/ Sport pkg
Megan EZ Street | F-Sport Rear Sway Bar | 2012 ISF Steering ECU
18" TSW Nurburgring wheels | Injen Intake | M2 Catback exhaust
Roadrover navigation + backup cam | 2 10W6 JL subs + JL 1000/1
6000K headlights + fogs | OEMthing spoiler + roof spoiler | F-Sport Grille
getafewliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-14, 12:50 PM   #8
idoke1
Pole Position

Thanks for the response you guys. I'm actually looking for more tweet and better mids.The stock bass is fine with me. I'm more into crisp and clarity of the music.
Old 06-24-14, 12:59 PM   #9
FSportIS
Lexus Test Driver

You might try to adjust the low and mid up in the settings. The default flat settings suck lol.

Old 06-24-14, 12:59 PM