IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

rear brake pads sticking to rotor

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-14, 06:18 PM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation rear brake pads sticking to rotor

Today after work, I just changed my rear brake pads and discovered I needed new rotors. So in a hurry to get this done I put the new pads in, put the tire back on, and used the impact to put the bolts back on, BUT I didn't hand tighten the bolts after dropping the car back on the ground. So on my way to autozone the wheel comes off the hub and the car lands on the wheel. (i'm so stupid I could kick myself)

Luckily no major damage, or at least I thought until I got home and changed the rotors and pads on both sides. after that I took it for a drive and my driver's side brake pad is sticking to the caliper and causing it to overheat the rotor and smoke. It also discolored the rotor blue so it's getting extremely hot. this is the side that the wheel fell off, the other side is fine.

So my question is does anyone have any ideas what I could've done to cause this? it's already too dark out for me to investigate it now so I will have to do it in the morning but is there something I should check for? Or should I just bring it in to the dealer and pay up

While changing the first pad on the drivers side I did undo the larger bolt not holding the caliper to the assembly thinking that was the bold holding everything together, I just tightened it back to where it was tight. I don't think that had to be at a certain PSI but I could be wrong. I also forgot to spray the brake rotors with brake cleaner so there's that too. Just all in all a bad day that could've been avoided if I wasn't in such a hurry to get everything replaced, it's been a long long day

Edit: it was the rear brake caliper issue. It was seized. I got it replaced thru the dealer I purchased it from using the warranty I got with them.

Last edited by dara321aaa; 06-20-14 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 06:48 PM
speedstar
Pole Position

sorry to hear, **** happens.. don't beat yourself up
take the caliper off and look at it, try to move the piston back (you'll need a c-clamp)

it could be seized, or pad incorrectly installed
Old 06-17-14, 07:03 PM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

Something else I thought of was i put both back pads on the drivers side and both front pads on the passengers side. Are they of different thickness? What I mean by that is the little metal tab that points to the ground on the back side of the rotor. That back pad. Not front brake pads. So both on the drivers side have that little metal tab that points down, and the passenger (without the problem) has no metal tabs pointing down.

Im really just worried that the caliper was bent when the wheel fell off.
Old 06-17-14, 07:12 PM
speedstar
Pole Position

i see what you're saying.. pics would help to pinpoint, but since it's dark now your best bet is to go through a DIY brake install thread that has pics and compare it to what you did, see where you went wrong.

here's a thread for reference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...s-of-pics.html
Old 06-17-14, 08:05 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

You're best is to replace all parts relating to the braking system on that corner. Caliper, pads, rotor, dust shield (if damaged), and any damaged hardware used to keep the pads in place.

GL!
Old 06-17-14, 10:08 PM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

Well i'll take a look tomorrow. I really hope it's something cheap or something dumb I missed. I'm already missing work tomorrow because of this so i cant really afford any more days without a car :S
Old 06-18-14, 10:49 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you explain a bit better what exactly happened? Did all your lugs completely back off the wheel and the wheel fell off? Did that corner completely hit the ground?

It sounds like your rotor hit the ground which probably damaged the rotor and maybe the caliper as well.You may get lucky and be able to return the rotor and say it must have been warped because it is rubbing. But then it would look fishy if you pick up a caliper at the same time.

Personally, I think you should take it somewhere to get a professional to fix it in case you did more damage that you can't see. But if you do plan on fixing it yourself, before you drive the car on new parts, make sure everything spins freely without rubbing or grinding to ensure you don't damage the new parts.

I had a mustang that I crashed and repaired. The impact of hitting a concrete barrier to my rear wheel managed to bend my rim and axle. After getting them fixed and doing the rear brakes, I realized the knuckle that the caliper bolts onto was also bent. To compensate, I had to shim the caliper with a washer. Hopefully yours isn't that bad though.
Old 06-18-14, 11:06 AM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

My driver's side caliper is seized. Completely. The other side still compresses and decompresses by hand. Would that have anything to do with the brake pads rubbing the rotor while driving?
Old 06-18-14, 11:28 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like new caliper and rotor.

Post up some pics.

Also, I am not sure if oyu have an IS250 or IS350, but I know on the IS350 the rear rotor is also a drum for the e Brake. If that applies to you, I would make sure nothing inside is also damaged.
Old 06-18-14, 02:28 PM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

So I took it to the dealer I bought it from used (Dodge) and the warranty I purchased from them covers the caliper so they are taking care of it from here. I don't think the rotor is damaged at all but they are going to take a look at it and see if it or the pads need to be replaced. So hopefully that is the cause of the problems and this isn't something else I need worry about anymore.

Pics are here, I didn't take any pics of the caliper but it was rusted on the side where there is no bolt. It is an IS250. I forgot to mention. I'm just glad it didn't scratch up my HKS exhaust I just put on a few months back

damage from when the car landed on the wheel and I had to drive it off the road.

Old 06-18-14, 03:16 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Wow... so you managed to lose a wheel, not do a ton of damage AND the dealer is going to take care of the caliper for you? Looks like you lucked out.
Old 06-18-14, 04:07 PM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

hopefully that is the only thing that comes up but so far, YES.
Old 06-18-14, 09:29 PM
speedstar
Pole Position

get that wheel rebalanced