IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Halogen Headlight-WHITE

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 01:12 AM
MAtunechi4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Halogen Headlight-WHITE

So I have seen ten million threads/posts on different types of headlights, halogen HID xenon ETC.....I work closely in the law enforcement field and cannot get HID's legally. (I already get a hard time about my IS tinted windows). So, with that being said I don't want to spend the money on "WHITE" lit halogen bulbs if other CL users think its worth the price. I love the look of HID and want to mimic it as much as possible as i had them on my ES. If you think it is worth it, what bulb is best? Longevity and "white" look is key. I don't want any shade of blue/yellow. Also, does anyone have pictures of the halogen bulb with the fog lights not replaced with WHITES and kept with the basic light? I feel like they may contrast to much and throw the look off! ANY DETAILS REGARDING THIS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! CL FIRST POST>
Old 03-12-14, 04:06 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i dont see why you cant get a cheap HID kit. with the right temp bulbs it wouldnt look any different than an IS that came stock with HID and the factory option isnt illegal. i would say it would be easier and cheaper to just find a nice good quality HID kit and just get as close to factory temp as possible. so basically 4300k or 5k and be done with it. that way you have the nice white light output you are after
Old 03-12-14, 04:59 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HID Kit are technically NOT DOT street legal. The reason why OEM HID is legal is because they have active levelling so you don't blind oncoming drivers. HID KIT cannot do this therefore DOT could not approve them for street use.

COPS can ticket HID KIT users if they want to. Here is a good article on why HID KIT is street illegal:

http://www.sema.org/?q=node/4182

For White Halogen Bulbs, you can try Sylvania SilverStar... I heard alot of good reviews about that. I would go that route if I had only one choice.

Keep in mind that no halogen bulb can reproduce HID light output. Closest is to go 55W bulb but that means you need to upgrade your wire harness and electrical system to accomodate the higher voltage draw.
Old 03-12-14, 08:43 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Originally Posted by shadowman
HID Kit are technically NOT DOT street legal. The reason why OEM HID is legal is because they have active levelling so you don't blind oncoming drivers. HID KIT cannot do this therefore DOT could not approve them for street use.

COPS can ticket HID KIT users if they want to. Here is a good article on why HID KIT is street illegal:

http://www.sema.org/?q=node/4182

For White Halogen Bulbs, you can try Sylvania SilverStar... I heard alot of good reviews about that. I would go that route if I had only one choice.

Keep in mind that no halogen bulb can reproduce HID light output. Closest is to go 55W bulb but that means you need to upgrade your wire harness and electrical system to accomodate the higher voltage draw.
Well yeah I know all of that. what i meant was if he got a aftermarket HID kit, he could just aim the light level lower manually. then from the outside, you cant tell his car didnt come with the factory option. unless he chose some silly temp like 8k bulbs which he already said he didnt want anyway.
Old 03-12-14, 09:50 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I had and it was pretty much the color you're describing. 6000K Hid kit in headlights and fogs. V Led's DRL and running/city light.
Attached Thumbnails Halogen Headlight-WHITE-rolling-shot-stay-steddi.jpg  
Old 03-12-14, 11:16 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Originally Posted by Sffd103
This is what I had and it was pretty much the color you're describing. 6000K Hid kit in headlights and fogs. V Led's DRL and running/city light.
man i forgot our cars were almost identical lol. for a sec i was looking at that pic like "wait hold up......." lol
Old 03-12-14, 11:43 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

we have projector so its not that bad not like other car that have regular headlight and they put like 8000k in and blind everyone
Old 03-12-14, 11:49 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

You can get 4300 or 5000 hid and cops wouldn't say anything cuz it's almost stock oem hid.
Old 03-14-14, 02:04 AM
MAtunechi4
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the advice.....Might try going between 4300-6K HID's. If I change the headlights out will I need to change out my daytime running lights and the fogs? If you were to get pulled over how would they know that the lights arent even Stock since most new Lexus will come with that bulb in the first place? Is there a way for them to look because obviously they couldnt just go and write a ticket blind? No pun intended.

IF I went Silverstar or another WHITE Halogen would I need to change those to white as well or would you not be able to tell that they do not match so much?
Old 03-14-14, 05:38 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MAtunechi4
Thank you for the advice.....Might try going between 4300-6K HID's. If I change the headlights out will I need to change out my daytime running lights and the fogs? If you were to get pulled over how would they know that the lights arent even Stock since most new Lexus will come with that bulb in the first place? Is there a way for them to look because obviously they couldnt just go and write a ticket blind? No pun intended.

IF I went Silverstar or another WHITE Halogen would I need to change those to white as well or would you not be able to tell that they do not match so much?
The headlights aren't on while the drl's are on so you don't have to but many people such as myself wanted all the lights to match. So I changed the fog lights as shown in the pic above. Honestly there isn't a way they can really tell what is stock or not. Just don't go too blue. I'm not sure on the halogen bulb but if you're going for a whiter bulb then it won't match the fogs. Good luck.