IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Light weight battery swap..Whos done it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 09:01 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
thats not bashing somebody dream by telling them the truth. as heavy as the 2IS is, a lightweight battery does nothing but make your wallet lighter. they dont last by any means. if you are working on weight savings there are far more areas to work vs a lighter battery lol. the general rule is for every 100lbs you gain 1whp. thats almost as bad as folks thinking if you take out the seats and interior youre "weight saving"

its not bashing or killing somebody dream, we are in fact trying to save the OP from wasting money. its getting to the point you cant even tell people whats good or bad without somebody swooping in to say "your bashing". my old roommate had one on his WRX and that car could never sit more than a week without needing a jump
Your experience and opinion say they are a waste. My experience and opinion say they are not.
Saying it is a BIG waste and that someone should buy a different car rather than change a battery is a bit over the top don't you think?

Lets do the math according to MY experience. If you choose the RIGHT lightweight battery there is nothing that will prevent it from lasting 4 years trouble free. An OEM battery will cost ~$150 and lets say it lasts 6 years.

4 years / $200 --> a light battery costs me ~$50 per year
6 years / $150 --> an OEM battery costs me ~$25 per year

So in my experience a light battery is costing me roughly $2 per month. I'll take it. Along with the associated risk that it won't last 4 years and might end up costing me as much as $10 a month. In my opinion that is a much better proposition than putting 20"+ wheels and tires on the car and living with diminished performance and the much higher risk and cost of replacing blown tires and broken wheels due to potholes.

Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I bought a Stinger SPP1500D battery with 825CCA. I needed a new one, put in a big stereo system, and wanted it to match my engine color combination for car shows.
Stinger batteries are re-badged Odyssey batteries. Good batteries, prices go up and down so sometimes its better to buy the equivalent Stinger.
Old 02-07-14, 12:36 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

thats not bashing somebody dream by telling them the truth. as heavy as the 2IS is, a lightweight battery does nothing but make your wallet lighter. they dont last by any means. if you are working on weight savings there are far more areas to work vs a lighter battery lol. the general rule is for every 100lbs you gain 1whp.
The battery weight is significant relative to the total amount of weight OP wants to reduce.

I'm not exactly sure how whp would translate ... I was thinking that the HP will stay the same, but the amount of weight the car needs to move is reduced ... not too familiar with it.
Old 02-07-14, 01:08 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

It is a good battery. I am planning to get that in my EVO one day when my battery fails, but it might not be good on the is350 since its a power hungry car.

Last edited by sw2oboi; 02-07-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-07-14, 01:15 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Your experience and opinion say they are a waste. My experience and opinion say they are not.
Saying it is a BIG waste and that someone should buy a different car rather than change a battery is a bit over the top don't you think?

Lets do the math according to MY experience. If you choose the RIGHT lightweight battery there is nothing that will prevent it from lasting 4 years trouble free. An OEM battery will cost ~$150 and lets say it lasts 6 years.

4 years / $200 --> a light battery costs me ~$50 per year
6 years / $150 --> an OEM battery costs me ~$25 per year

So in my experience a light battery is costing me roughly $2 per month. I'll take it. Along with the associated risk that it won't last 4 years and might end up costing me as much as $10 a month. In my opinion that is a much better proposition than putting 20"+ wheels and tires on the car and living with diminished performance and the much higher risk and cost of replacing blown tires and broken wheels due to potholes.

Different strokes for different folks.

Stinger batteries are re-badged Odyssey batteries. Good batteries, prices go up and down so sometimes its better to buy the equivalent Stinger.
Yeah I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. Now saying get a different car, I didn't say that part. But I guess from what I've seen those batteries don't last at all. That's also factoring in desert heat of here in Vegas and that alone can kill batteries fast as is

Originally Posted by nosurprise
The battery weight is significant relative to the total amount of weight OP wants to reduce.

I'm not exactly sure how whp would translate ... I was thinking that the HP will stay the same, but the amount of weight the car needs to move is reduced ... not too familiar with it.
Yeah it can help in total weight if you shaving weight of say, a drag car with already full weight reduction. But on a standard sedan like the 2is, I'm sorry, that's doing nothing over the grand scoop of a 3500+ lbs car.

What I meant was not the whp goes up of the car. The power/weight ratio will increase. But the amount it would take to see an increase in these cars, the battery alone is not helping or hurting
Old 02-07-14, 05:14 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

But the amount it would take to see an increase in these cars, the battery alone is not helping or hurting
He's not doing the battery alone.
Old 02-07-14, 06:18 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget the battery, just hit the gym.
Old 02-08-14, 06:52 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From reading on the net, Braille batteries are made by deka
the b3121 equiv, apparently, is Deka ETX30L. It will be less expensive.
You (in the States, not me in Canada) can get the ETX30L for <$100.

Shaving 20 lbs off the weight of the car in general is not going to get you the same as shaving 20 lbs off the wheels/rims, which is what I think someone was suggesting. Because you have to spin them, wheels/rims have a moment of inertia to overcome which dead weight, like the battery does not have to overcome. Losing 20 lbs off the wheels/rims might make a noticeable difference in a 1/4 mile time. From the battery, by itself, you would never notice it. Maybe in the 100ths column, but not in the 10ths column. If the goal is to lose 250 lbs, I expect you'd notice that, and every little bit, battery, spare tire, both from the trunk and from around your waist is going to help.
Old 02-10-14, 06:50 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sw2oboi
It is a good battery. I am planning to get that in my EVO one day when my battery fails, but it might not be good on the is350 since its a power hungry car.
The Evo X is power hungry also…don’t get a 200CCA like I did.

Originally Posted by scott1256c
From reading on the net, Braille batteries are made by deka
the b3121 equiv, apparently, is Deka ETX30L. It will be less expensive.
You (in the States, not me in Canada) can get the ETX30L for <$100.

Shaving 20 lbs off the weight of the car in general is not going to get you the same as shaving 20 lbs off the wheels/rims, which is what I think someone was suggesting. Because you have to spin them, wheels/rims have a moment of inertia to overcome which dead weight, like the battery does not have to overcome. Losing 20 lbs off the wheels/rims might make a noticeable difference in a 1/4 mile time. From the battery, by itself, you would never notice it. Maybe in the 100ths column, but not in the 10ths column. If the goal is to lose 250 lbs, I expect you'd notice that, and every little bit, battery, spare tire, both from the trunk and from around your waist is going to help.
Yes, I have been using Deka batteries for years. Braille is a rebadged Deka, however you need to get the terminal posts for the Deka and maybe shorter bracket posts.

I don’t want to get into this argument about weight…but:

-Yes, it will make a difference, and you will notice it maybe after shaving 100lbs or more. It also depends on the car, if you have a civic with 95hp/ 80lb of torque get a 100lb passenger and drive at an Autox/ track or drag, you WILL feel the obvious difference. In a high HP/ tq car you may not feel it the same but it is there.

-Yes, you can lose your body weight, but that is not improving the actual car, you could also learn how to be a better driver.

-Because the car is heavy you shouldn’t try to shave some weight? So if I have an Elise then it is ok to get lighter parts? I see it the other way around, if the car is really heavy I would like to make it lighter, but that is just me.

-Yes, it depends on WHERE the weight is being pulled from. The front of the car (front engine cars); higher places (roof); unsprong weight (suspension/ wheels/ brakes etc); rotating mass ( again wheels/ rotors/ drive shaft/ engine components)… are the best places.

In theory a lighter car should accelerate/ brake & corner better, also get better MPGs…there are exceptions to this, and it is impossible to determine the improvements with an equation.
I searched for a manual IS250 with 0 options for a long time, but couldn’t find one without sunroof/ power seats…I don’t know if Lexus ever sold one like that LOL
Old 02-12-14, 11:46 AM
nikogio38
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery swap is just one of the things im going to do to shave some weight off this pig. I have already knocked off 63 pounds off the weight of the car. I kept 18" wheels and dropped 23 pound. The tires i choose are designed to be lighter i shaved another 8 pounds off. I also removed the spare/jake for a total weight savings of about 63 pounds.

My goal to shave 250 pounds off my IS350. Changing to a lighter battery is a step towards that goal. 25 pounds from a battery change is a no brainer... Ive done the figuring and the other things i have planned i will hit my goal of 250.