IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Winshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 03:29 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by P Rock
Allstate doesn't cover OEM windshield....at least they didn't for me and I fought it hard - I have aftermarket.

At first, I noticed slight wind noise coming from the lower, passenger side of the windshield. Even though it was slight, it was irritating to me because I'm **** and want OEM quality. After I poked around the windshield, I realized whoever installed it reused the side window moldings. The clips broke on the bottom of one of them so wind was getting underneath it at higher speeds. I replaced that molding with a brand new one and all wind noise has gone away. I honestly can't tell a difference now.
My son in law owns an Allstate Agency.So I hope with some pull,I'll get at least one oem windshield if needed..
Old 01-21-14, 04:16 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by P Rock
Allstate doesn't cover OEM windshield....at least they didn't for me and I fought it hard - I have aftermarket.

At first, I noticed slight wind noise coming from the lower, passenger side of the windshield. Even though it was slight, it was irritating to me because I'm **** and want OEM quality. After I poked around the windshield, I realized whoever installed it reused the side window moldings. The clips broke on the bottom of one of them so wind was getting underneath it at higher speeds. I replaced that molding with a brand new one and all wind noise has gone away. I honestly can't tell a difference now.
I fought hard as well and loss the battle so I gonna have to settle for aftermarket windshield. I also asked Geico about extra coverage for OEM parts and they said they don't offer such coverage. Guess I am going to shop around for new insurance company after this.
P-Rock: thank you for the feedback on the windnoise. I will check it thoroughly after they completely the job and hopefully everything got done correctly.
Old 01-21-14, 04:43 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The windshield is a structural part of the car. The windsheid designed and used by Lexus works in conjuntion with the structural integrity of the car, which also works with the timing of the srs system.
That being said, CA law states if a insurance company mandates use of a A/M part it must meet conditions. safety being one.
Can geico show you proof the a/m glass will work in a life danger situation to work with the timing of the air bags?
nope... Good luck
It is law .... No one has had the ***** to push this issue. safety to me is my life, is it ok to have geico guess it will work the same as Lexus engineers designed?
Have the crash tested a car as mandated by federal law like Lexus must to sell a car in the USA? To pass nhts crash tests? Nope
Old 01-21-14, 04:50 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

So what are we supposed to do? The law was written in such with a way it allows insurance Companies to take Advantage of us.
I am just gonna do what we should do in a free market and take my business elsewhere after this.
Old 01-21-14, 05:02 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pheonix72
So what are we supposed to do? The law was written in such with a way it allows insurance Companies to take Advantage of us.
I am just gonna do what we should do in a free market and take my business elsewhere after this.
Ah, throw it in there face and make them answer. If they can't, file a complaint with the DOI.
safety doesn't matter to you? push the issue. Push the law
Old 01-21-14, 05:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oem is say $1500 and aftemarket is around $350.Of course the insurance companies go with aftermarket.
Many people have $500 deductibles too.I go with $0 ded.on comp.
Old 01-21-14, 06:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

This is my post from another thread:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I just replaced the windshield on my F. My insurance company was not going to do OEM because of the age of my car, a 2008. But after a day of negotiating and with the help of my agent, I got the OEM stuff, but with a twist. I have built a relationship with the parts manager at my dealer, I actually started the relationship before he became the parts manager. I have found over my long life time, that building these kinds of relationships with businesses and folks who you deal with makes life a lot easier. But, who you choose to build that relationship with is very important.

Anyway, I could get the windshield at a discounted price, cheaper than State Farm could. So they agreed to pay me the out of pocket costs for the windshield, if I bought it directly, and they would pay the installer directly for the installation. The only issue was, since the installer was not making any money off the glass, they would not take responsibility for moving the glass. So, I had to have it installed in the dealer's parking lot. Not really a big deal. So, persistence here and an understanding agent along with knowing the parts manager all paid off in getting me the OEM windshield I wanted.

Now, as regards to Pilkington, I noticed some of the OEM windshields on the dealer's lot were marked Lexus, Pilkington and I asked the installer about this. He told me that Pilkington has two plants, one for OEM glass and one for aftermarket. He told me that they are not the same, but they are good quality for aftermarket stuff. The best glass is OEM. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but, who knows.

My glass is not Pilkington but was marked exactly like the glass they removed.

Lou
Lou
Old 01-21-14, 09:21 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tazzman
Ah, throw it in there face and make them answer. If they can't, file a complaint with the DOI.
safety doesn't matter to you? push the issue. Push the law
Trust me, i already done my researches, spent way too much time with Geico and got nowhere.
This is part of the Law so we are basically screwed!

"The California Code of Regulations Title 10 Chapter 5 Section 2695.8 (g) states:
1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance"

The Law isnt on the consumers as far as this goes! So the best is to take my bussiness elsewhere (hopefully insurance companies will change their policies if enough people stop using their services).
Old 01-23-14, 09:56 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You will hear a difference in the wind noise and one of the biggest reasons is the molding that goes around the glass that no one seems to be able to reinstall correctly. All new clips and molding should be purchased as they usually break in removal. Also make sure you go to a reputable place or use who the Lexus dealership uses.

I had a horrible experience with multiple windshields put on as they couldn't get it quite right. Years later I find water in my car, at some point they punctured the metal which left a leak into my car. Not until the dealership installer was it done correctly.
Old 01-23-14, 10:06 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an aftermarket windshield, and honestly I can't tell the difference from OEM. I had some glass shop with a mobile service come out to my house to replace my windshield (the previous one was not sealed up properly and was hissing all over). I think I paid like 200 or so for the glass and install. Brand is Pilkington, who actually is an OEM for many automakers
Old 01-23-14, 11:00 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is250gurl
You will hear a difference in the wind noise and one of the biggest reasons is the molding that goes around the glass that no one seems to be able to reinstall correctly. All new clips and molding should be purchased as they usually break in removal. Also make sure you go to a reputable place or use who the Lexus dealership uses.

I had a horrible experience with multiple windshields put on as they couldn't get it quite right. Years later I find water in my car, at some point they punctured the metal which left a leak into my car. Not until the dealership installer was it done correctly.
Thanks for the information. I will pay closed attention to the seal and make sure they reinstalled it correctly (or get a new one from Sewell if anything look funky).
BTW, none of the dealers here do glass installation. They source it out to local installers.
Old 01-24-14, 12:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazzman
The windshield is a structural part of the car. The windsheid designed and used by Lexus works in conjuntion with the structural integrity of the car, which also works with the timing of the srs system.
That being said, CA law states if a insurance company mandates use of a A/M part it must meet conditions. safety being one.
Can geico show you proof the a/m glass will work in a life danger situation to work with the timing of the air bags?
nope... Good luck
It is law .... No one has had the ***** to push this issue. safety to me is my life, is it ok to have geico guess it will work the same as Lexus engineers designed?
Have the crash tested a car as mandated by federal law like Lexus must to sell a car in the USA? To pass nhts crash tests? Nope
Originally Posted by pheonix72
Trust me, i already done my researches, spent way too much time with Geico and got nowhere.
This is part of the Law so we are basically screwed!

"The California Code of Regulations Title 10 Chapter 5 Section 2695.8 (g) states:
1) the parts are at least equal to the original equipment manufacturer parts in terms of kind, quality, safety, fit, and performance"

The Law isnt on the consumers as far as this goes! So the best is to take my bussiness elsewhere (hopefully insurance companies will change their policies if enough people stop using their services).
Just saying that an A/M windshield is not as "safe" as OEM doesn't make it true. Is there hard data to back this up? You can't just call your insurance company and say "It's not as safe." They are going to say they have checked it out and it's just as good.

And, how, exactly does the airbag work in conjunction with the windshield? Isn't it just a piece of glass?
Old 01-26-14, 04:07 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just saying that an A/M windshield is not as "safe" as OEM doesn't make it true. Is there hard data to back this up? You can't just call your insurance company and say "It's not as safe." They are going to say they have checked it out and it's just as good.

And, how, exactly does the airbag work in conjunction with the windshield? Isn't it just a piece of glass?
Well, the windshield and back glass were enginered into the structural integrity of the car. It works in conjuntion with the unibody of the car, which works with the computers and sensors for the srs system. Safety. It is up to the carrier to meet the law by being able to provide data showing the parts they want to use meet safety standards. Period
Old 01-26-14, 04:09 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670

It is safety glass, not just glass
Old 01-26-14, 04:11 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my windshield replaced 3 times by safelite in the past 3 years. Safelite replaced it with OEM LEXUS windshields at my request all 3 times, and Allstate covered everything since I have full glass coverage.

Quick Reply: IS350 Winshield Replacement