Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 02:28 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How do you stop a car mod bug/syndrome

It's like an addiction
Most of my paycheck goes into my car
I feel bad for myself. I'm so cheap on other things except for my car.
Now I want to take care of my body but my brain tells me the $200 a month on gym & food/supplement could be on my car.
Help please
How did you stop yours
Old 01-05-14, 06:51 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly there is no way around it... The mod bug will continue to haunt you as long as you have extra money to spend on stuff. Just make sure you don't start spending money that you don't have (credit cards) and you'll be fine. My car is all done up, volk wheels, new tires, twin turbos, coilovers, etc... But when you meet me in person I'm just a regular looking dude with no name brand shoes or fancy clothes. Luckily I've managed to have self control and of course pay off the properties first and whatever funds are left over I save up and play with it on my car.

I'm on my 12th car and my mod bug hasn't stopped nor will I ever think it'll go away completely (maybe once I settle down with a lady) but for now I'm enjoying it while I can.
Old 01-05-14, 07:58 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It almost never stops and can be an Unlimited amount. I spent 25K on my car and it ended when I sold it!!! That's the only way and my focus changed to buy a house again. Good luck!
Old 01-05-14, 08:23 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm 28 and I have had this bug since I was 14. Unfortunately there isn't a way to get rid of it (that I have found) but what I tell myself is that as long as the important things are taken care of first (mortgage, bills, retirement, savings, ext) then what is left can be spend on the car (aka hobby) without to much guilt.
Old 01-05-14, 09:44 AM
Farts
Driver School Candidate

I dunno, one day when I was about 27 I woke up and realized throwing all my extra money at my vehicle was a waste. Instead I decided to buy a Lexus - a nice car that didn't need modification. Now when I see a cars with bodykits/wheels/slammed/etc I just laugh. Some of the build threads on this site have genuinely made me feel sorry for the poor sap who spent $20k+ on mods for his car (only to make it hideous and ride like *****).
Old 01-05-14, 10:17 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I stopped modifying my IS350 when I bought another car and high-end road and mountain bicycles. But now I modify my bicycles.

If you are focusing on just strength training and have room for a small home gym, get yourself a power rack. You would more likely to keep to your exercise routine due to convenience and you would have already sunk $1000-$2000 into it (or more if you get the high-end rack), so you can't spend it on your car.
Old 01-05-14, 10:47 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

It stops when you're able to afford a killer stock high-performance car right from the factory that doesn't need add-ons to be quick or handle better. But how many of us can afford such a thing?

I mod a car to be different from others on the road and to improve in areas where the car currently lacks. Nothing like having a complete stranger say they love the way your car looks and they're surprised when you tell them it is a '06 Lexus. Had that happen to me this past Saturday.
Old 01-05-14, 08:36 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

crash it! lol

when i got into an accident with my old honda, it made me not want to mod it anymore, i converted back to stock and drove it stock for like 2 years. out of the 4 years i owned it. longest 2 years of my life lol
Old 01-05-14, 09:59 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Set your priorities.
Old 01-05-14, 10:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Farts
I dunno, one day when I was about 27 I woke up and realized throwing all my extra money at my vehicle was a waste. Instead I decided to buy a Lexus - a nice car that didn't need modification. Now when I see a cars with bodykits/wheels/slammed/etc I just laugh. Some of the build threads on this site have genuinely made me feel sorry for the poor sap who spent $20k+ on mods for his car (only to make it hideous and ride like *****).
^
That. As you grow older, you realize you are doing more damage to the car and yourself, all in the name of creating attention. Then there's the hit on resale, poor drivability, inefficiency on the road, warranty/dealer service hassles, and the attention it pulls from cops, hot-headed passer-byers, and thieves. IMO, it's simply not worth it.. Life is so much simpler stock. Today's big factories take good care of us from the start.
Old 01-05-14, 11:00 PM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by Farts
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
^
That. As you grow older, you realize you are doing more damage to the car and yourself, all in the name of creating attention. Then there's the hit on resale, poor drivability, inefficiency on the road, warranty/dealer service hassles, and the attention it pulls from cops, hot-headed passer-byers, and thieves. IMO, it's simply not worth it.. Life is so much simpler stock. Today's big factories take good care of us from the start.
To each their own, but to some of us, modding is a lifestyle. Its not about attention, how it rides, or how it looks to you. Its about how we display ourselves through our cars.

I personally think of cars as a piece of art. The Ferrari F40. Just as much as it is a machine, it is a piece of art. Some people are museum goers, some people are painters. Some still, think that Picasso's look like chicken scratch.

My Lexus is my canvas. Feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you.
Old 01-05-14, 11:37 PM
DFig619
Driver

^this

Set priorities

A build doesn't get finished overnight. Take you're time do research and plan out what you want out of your car. Performance? Show? Daily?, and during that period save up what you can after paying for things outside of build garage. (Family, house, bills, school, etc.)

It's foolish to live paycheck to paycheck because half your income is going into your car.
Old 01-06-14, 09:18 AM
alee350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stewb10
To each their own, but to some of us, modding is a lifestyle. Its not about attention, how it rides, or how it looks to you. Its about how we display ourselves through our cars.

I personally think of cars as a piece of art. The Ferrari F40. Just as much as it is a machine, it is a piece of art. Some people are museum goers, some people are painters. Some still, think that Picasso's look like chicken scratch.

My Lexus is my canvas. Feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you.
and I thought I was the only one!
Old 01-06-14, 12:01 PM
Uber350
Driver School Candidate

Self control is a very rare characteristic in our society. Guess how I quit smoking after 5 years, I quit. If you don't want to do something, you're not going to do it, if you do want to do something, JUST DO IT!
You clearly know it's not a good habit for you, if you genuinely want to quit a habit, here's the secret, QUIT!
Old 01-06-14, 01:40 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan1
Get wife and kids, problem solved.
Not really...then you need a family car for wife and kids...LOL

Quick Reply: How do you stop a car mod bug/syndrome