Print Wikipost

HID Bulbs, which to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 05:06 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
well you obviously need to find out the bulb size first..........
try googling about HID in general first so you can narrow down your question to be more specific

if you say he has a purple-ish glow then it's probably 10 or 12 K which is pretty heat
then this also means he has aftermarket HID already (some cheap one because only cheap ones make colours above 8 K)
but that's just a general assumption
you still have to go check
sadly, this is not obvious to me, since I really dont know what is the major differences between all the different types.

I have googled it, and browsed around xenondepot and other sites, but still am trying to get a general idea of the different types. I am in contact with xenondepot right now, they should set me straight. But ya, I did assume it was some cheap aftermarket brand, which is why my friend it wanting to switch asap. Thanks for the info tho!
Old 11-13-13, 05:33 PM
tauzins
Driver School Candidate

Sadly another post where people don't search smdh
Old 11-13-13, 05:33 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Your cluttering up the forum by making these pointless threads instead of even attempting to search for your answer.

How about trying to do some research first? This is almost as bad as the guy who made a thread wanting to sue Lexus because his TPMS sensors went out after 6-7 years.
Originally Posted by Downtuned
well bob, if you just did a quick search of your previous posts, you would find that you are kinda a ****a lot of the time.. come on man, do some research !
I'm with Bob, which is why there are sticky threads. No need to resort to callin him names. Way too many noobs create alot of pointless threads that are common sense questions, or has been covered a billion times over without taking the time to search. If every member created threads every single question that came up in their heads this forum would just goto crap. Our cars have been out since 2005. I'm sure since then many people have changed their bulbs.... And changing bulbs is a common mod thats done. Which is why its listed in here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html

under Lighting

■ Lighting
How to hide the amber piece of your taillights / Another good thread on the same topic
How to install HID's on your non-HID equipped 2IS.
How to replace OEM foglight bulbs with aftermarket bulbs.
How to replace OEM foglight bulbs with HIDs.
How to replace parking lights with LEDs.
How to install illuminated scuff plates on your non Luxury Package 2IS
How to install 'Halo' headlights on your 2IS.
How to take out headlights and Foglights
How to "Black out" your headlights
How to install ISF tail lights
Head light/Fog light modification thread (member examples)
Replacing Footwell lights
Replacing side mirror puddle lights
2011 headlights installation discussion
Difference between 2011 and 2012 headlights
How to install 2011+ headlights
Old 11-13-13, 05:43 PM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 11-13-13, 05:49 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My buddy has HID's, however the bulbs emit a purple color. I have convinced my friend that going with a bright white will deter police, which is probably for the best. My friend wants pure white HID bulbs, which ones should we choose??

I am looking for a relatively cheap price, but decent quality. Thank you!
sounds like to me he either wants 5k or 6k from xenondepot. my car had 8k bulbs from the dealer i bought from and i hated it but didnt want to pay for new oem 4300k bulbs so i got the 5k from xenondepot....

but i have to agree with bob on this one, not to be douche, but this was an easy search man
Old 11-13-13, 05:50 PM
genaos11
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

perfect, thanks for the info Gville! So I am thinking 5k - 6k for sure. Now, my last question is, i see bulbs ranging from 880-899, 9003-9008, H1-H13, how the heck do i know which ones to buy??
This link will help u

http://bit.ly/1hH1w5k
Old 11-14-13, 07:38 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Downtuned: It's either going to be H11 or D4S. It's hard for me to tell you specifically what you need to purchase, as I don't know whether the vehicle has OEM HID lights - or aftermarket.

Does your friend have a 250 or 350?

Steve
Old 11-14-13, 10:24 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I'm with Bob, which is why there are sticky threads. No need to resort to callin him names. Way too many noobs create alot of pointless threads that are common sense questions, or has been covered a billion times over without taking the time to search. If every member created threads every single question that came up in their heads this forum would just goto crap. Our cars have been out since 2005. I'm sure since then many people have changed their bulbs.... And changing bulbs is a common mod thats done. Which is why its listed in here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iy-thread.html

under Lighting

■ Lighting
How to hide the amber piece of your taillights / Another good thread on the same topic
How to install HID's on your non-HID equipped 2IS.
How to replace OEM foglight bulbs with aftermarket bulbs.
How to replace OEM foglight bulbs with HIDs.
How to replace parking lights with LEDs.
How to install illuminated scuff plates on your non Luxury Package 2IS
How to install 'Halo' headlights on your 2IS.
How to take out headlights and Foglights
How to "Black out" your headlights
How to install ISF tail lights
Head light/Fog light modification thread (member examples)
Replacing Footwell lights
Replacing side mirror puddle lights
2011 headlights installation discussion
Difference between 2011 and 2012 headlights
How to install 2011+ headlights
Thanks, I actually did see that, but I am looking for some thread such as "How to know which bulb you need to use," or something along those lines. I could look through countless threads, or just ask my question, so I decided to ask. I appreciate the info tho.

Xenon, It is an Audi A4, with an aftermarket kit.
Old 11-14-13, 10:43 AM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Your cluttering up the forum by making these pointless threads instead of even attempting to search for your answer.

How about trying to do some research first? This is almost as bad as the guy who made a thread wanting to sue Lexus because his TPMS sensors went out after 6-7 years.

LMFAO. WHAT? ahahhaahahahhaa
Old 11-14-13, 10:52 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok Guys... I'm not going to call anyone out, but you know who guys you are.

The guy asked a question. It takes longer for you guys to write a paragraph about using search, how it's been asked before, etc - than to answer the damn question. This is a growing trend... If you happen to know the answer - how about just giving the answer and cutting out the nonsense?

CL sure has changed ... Before one could post up a question and it would get answered without any of this crap... Guess not anymore. We were all new and asking questions at some point... I know I was.

Downtuned, feel free to PM me of you can't get your answer - I'll help you out. I'm sorry my fellow CLers can't just reply without creating a big fuss over nothing.

Last edited by GiantsFan; 11-14-13 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-14-13, 11:04 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah times sure have changed. The amount of people making threads about SIMPLE questions. What size hid kit do I need? Which exhaust has the most power gains? Which performance chip is the best?

There's a difference between those and actual questions that haven't been beaten to death.

Never saw this much clutter back a few years ago
Old 11-14-13, 11:20 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah times sure have changed. The amount of people making threads about SIMPLE questions. What size hid kit do I need? Which exhaust has the most power gains? Which performance chip is the best?

There's a difference between those and actual questions that haven't been beaten to death.

Never saw this much clutter back a few years ago
We we were all new to the car at some point. What's simple to you or me might not be as simple to somebody else. Not everyone has been around for the forum as long as me (It'll be 5 years in January) or you (3 years) ... Yes, these questions have been asked before, but not in THEIR time.

A lot of people on the forum today are new to the 2IS scene ... the 2IS is a lot cheaper now, and more accessible. Couple years ago most of the CL members were people who had been around since the launch. People that I know personally - many who have moved on to different cars, etc...

so IMO, since as you said the questions are fairly simple, its probably better and easier to just answer them instead of giving them a hard time about it.
Old 11-14-13, 11:44 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
We we were all new to the car at some point. What's simple to you or me might not be as simple to somebody else. Not everyone has been around for the forum as long as me (It'll be 5 years in January) or you (3 years) ... Yes, these questions have been asked before, but not in THEIR time.

A lot of people on the forum today are new to the 2IS scene ... the 2IS is a lot cheaper now, and more accessible. Couple years ago most of the CL members were people who had been around since the launch. People that I know personally - many who have moved on to different cars, etc...

so IMO, since as you said the questions are fairly simple, its probably better and easier to just answer them instead of giving them a hard time about it.
It would probably be faster and easier for OP to do a quick Google search like "IS250 / IS350 bulb size" etc. instead of starting a new thread and waiting for responses. I understand that some of us might be new and might not to know everything, but he should at least do his due diligence and try to find out the answer himself first (especially generic questions like this) instead of blindly starting a new thread without even trying? I'm sure Bob and the other folks which you called out will gladly help him IF he cant find his answer after doing his homework.

Just a personal example, i did an oil change yesterday and dont remember exactly how much oil i needed. I had my friend (who is an IS owner and also a known CL member) with me, and he didn't know as well. I pulled out my phone and did a quick Google search and found my answer within minutes.
Old 11-14-13, 12:01 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly.

Out of the 4k+ posts I have on this forum, I've helped out quite a bit of people. Answering questions, adding links to threads, and even specific product and vendor recommendations.

The more a thread gets repeated, aka beaten to death, will lead to less friendly and helpful responses. Just look for any gforce performance chip thread.

At the end of the day, everyone needs to at least put some effort into finding answers to their questions. Can you imagine how horrible this forum would be if every single person made a thread about every single question they had? In my opinion, that's what CL is starting to look like now, especially since the car is getting cheaper and younger people are buying it.
Old 11-14-13, 12:11 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rookieIS
It would probably be faster and easier for OP to do a quick Google search like "IS250 / IS350 bulb size" etc. instead of starting a new thread and waiting for responses. I understand that some of us might be new and might not to know everything, but he should at least do his due diligence and try to find out the answer himself first (especially generic questions like this) instead of blindly starting a new thread without even trying? I'm sure Bob and the other folks which you called out will gladly help him IF he cant find his answer after doing his homework.
Sure... That's true. But who's to say maybe his search came up with a bunch of cluttered threads where he couldn't find what he was looking for? We don't know... But yes... I agree.

Originally Posted by rookieIS
Just a personal example, i did an oil change yesterday and dont remember exactly how much oil i needed. I had my friend (who is an IS owner and also a known CL member) with me, and he didn't know as well. I pulled out my phone and did a quick Google search and found my answer within minutes.
lol glad I could help ... so how's that Eneos treating ya? ...

Quick Reply: HID Bulbs, which to choose?