IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oil dipstick - car on slight sloped surface

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 02:18 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default oil dipstick - car on slight sloped surface

last night i parked my car on the road where the road slopes very slightly. You cannot really tell unless u look very carefully that the road actually slopes. That's how little the slope is. Anyway, the car was parked with the dipstick side of the car on the lower level part of the surface. And when i checked the dipstick this morning, the oil on the dipstick was way tooo high. Moved the car to a level surface which meant starting and driving the car but was only for 1minute. Moved the car to the flat surface and let set for about 30minutes and re-checked the level and it was all good again.

Question is can a very minor slope cause a reading like this on the dipstick?
Old 11-08-13, 03:57 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus-is2
last night i parked my car on the road where the road slopes very slightly. You cannot really tell unless u look very carefully that the road actually slopes. That's how little the slope is. Anyway, the car was parked with the dipstick side of the car on the lower level part of the surface. And when i checked the dipstick this morning, the oil on the dipstick was way tooo high. Moved the car to a level surface which meant starting and driving the car but was only for 1minute. Moved the car to the flat surface and let set for about 30minutes and re-checked the level and it was all good again.

Question is can a very minor slope cause a reading like this on the dipstick?
A minute is all it takes to distribute a far amount of oil in the engine. I would park it overnight (or at least several hours) on a level spot and check again in the morning.
Old 11-08-13, 10:23 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the instant you turn on the car, the oil readings won't be accurate again for at least 3 hours IMO. I would recheck again in the morning like the above poster suggested
Old 11-08-13, 10:51 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The surface you were originaly on should have given you an accurate reading. The trick is to pull it, clean it, pop it in until sealed and pop it out (quickly). I ALWAYS end up checking at least three times to verify the same reading each time.

GL!
Old 11-08-13, 11:06 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gville350
The surface you were originaly on should have given you an accurate reading. The trick is to pull it, clean it, pop it in until sealed and pop it out (quickly). I ALWAYS end up checking at least three times to verify the same reading each time.

GL!
I repeated it more than 3 times and was getting readings way too high up above the max line, but wasnt a 100% consistent amount of oil. Only over a week ago i drained the oil just about 5.6Litres and refilled 6Litres so i really dont think it can be overfilled. Is there any symptoms if the oil is overfilled?
Old 11-10-13, 09:38 AM
lexus-is2
Advanced

so i parked on a level surface overnight and when i checked my dipstick in the morning with over 6 or 7 attempts, the oil seems to be running all the way up the dipstick, way above the max line even after the little twist on the dipstick.

Was slightly concerned that maybe i overfilled the oil but when i did my oil change, i drained 5.6Litres and i filled 6.2 Litres. The user manual says to put 6.3Litres (In UK our measurements are in Litres as apposed to Quarts). My original oil level on the car before draining was low as the warning light came on and i topped up 1.5litres to get the oil level to the miniumum mark. So i dont think filling the extra 0.6ML is enough to have made the oil go that high up.

I attempted the read so many times, eventually decided to try something a member here suggested a while back about scoring the dipstick. So, i scored it with a few lines between the min and max dots and then cleaned it properly and then attempted to read the oil level with the scored dipstick and this time it seems to work and the oil level reads in between min and max line, but there is still some oil above but seems like smudge.

I am wondering if this dipstick scoring is actually giving me the correct reading or is it just now giving me another incorrect reading? because before the scoring it was way above the twist and with the score all of a sudden its dropped so much.

Is there any sort of symptoms to look out for to know if there is too much oil in the car?