IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check system + tire pressure light comes on after replacing navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 12:40 PM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check system + tire pressure light comes on after replacing navigation?

Hi everyone,

So my navigation unit on my 2007 IS250 is dead so I replaced it with an used 2006 model from Ebay. Right after I install the new unit, the check system light with pressure light comes on. Is that a normal problem for changing the whole navigation unit?

So I look up in the manual and this combination of light is because I have either low pressure or bad sensor.
I tried to check all pressure of 4 wheels and they are all fine. I haven't check the spare tires tho. Then I took the car to a local shop, they checked for the sensor and told me 2 of them are dead. They said replacing them would fix the problem but the sensor cost $198 a piece without labor. I was like LOL just kidding.

Does anyone here have any experience with changing the whole navigation unit that would cause this problem? Please let me know

Last edited by rmittim; 10-03-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-03-13, 10:33 PM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Can someone help me please?
Old 10-04-13, 04:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I don't think that changing your navigation system had anything to do with it. This sounds like a TPMS problem. "Check system" means that the system isn't seeing all four sensors (the spare doesn't have one); you'd see "Low tire" if it were a pressure problem. Sometimes this comes up if somebody accidentally changes to the alternate set of sensors using the <O> controls to the left of the steering wheel. If it's not that, the local shop may be right and it could be one or more dead sensors. They have lithium batteries and are supposed to last 10 years, but might have failed prematurely.
Old 10-04-13, 06:54 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you forget to plug the TPMS connector? locate on top of NAV
Old 10-05-13, 12:12 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
I don't think that changing your navigation system had anything to do with it. This sounds like a TPMS problem. "Check system" means that the system isn't seeing all four sensors (the spare doesn't have one); you'd see "Low tire" if it were a pressure problem. Sometimes this comes up if somebody accidentally changes to the alternate set of sensors using the <O> controls to the left of the steering wheel. If it's not that, the local shop may be right and it could be one or more dead sensors. They have lithium batteries and are supposed to last 10 years, but might have failed prematurely.
I will try to mess with the <0> Control again tomorrow. This happened to me in the past and I tried to fix this with this button before and it worked. I don't remember how I did it and not sure if this was the problem this time around. I will definitely keep this in mind. I am just confused that the light just came on right after I swapped out the navigation system. BTW I read somewhere on this forum there are people who replace their navigation system say that there will be light after replacing the navi unit. Not sure if this Check System light is the case. But I appreciate your help much tho I will check the <0> button very careful tomorrow
Old 10-05-13, 12:15 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Did you forget to plug the TPMS connector? locate on top of NAV
Definitely something that I never thought of, even though I remember myself plug in everything very carefully, it's a pain in the *** having to take those vents out. I will keep that in mind if I have sometime to check it out
Old 10-05-13, 12:19 AM
rmittim
Driver School Candidate

The local shop definitely said that there were two sensors that went bad. They checked it with their little tool so it might be it. It might be just myself I just can't believe it yet, 198$ a piece without labor? They said 220 is everything for one piece. Is there anywhere that I can find cheaper sensor? 400 bucks just to turn the light off is a bit for me right now lol
Old 10-05-13, 06:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rmittim
The local shop definitely said that there were two sensors that went bad. They checked it with their little tool so it might be it. It might be just myself I just can't believe it yet, 198$ a piece without labor? They said 220 is everything for one piece. Is there anywhere that I can find cheaper sensor? 400 bucks just to turn the light off is a bit for me right now lol
You can find much cheaper alternatives on eBay; I've seen many listings for new non-OEM sensors for around $30. I have no personal experience with these.
Old 10-05-13, 03:05 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rmittim
Did you check the connector like the other poster said?

Unplugging the TPMS unit above the nav will also have this failure. I think that might be the main unit.