IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06' rides very harsh and rattles over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 09:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingus
Perhaps. However, it is pretty annoying (and a turn off on Lexus) that my IS350 has more squeaks, rattles, and vibrations than all seven cars I owned prior to it put together.

Heck, the interior in this car rattles more than the craptastic Chevy Cavaliar Z24 my mom bought brand new back in 1988 or 89.

That is a far cry more than a "few squeaks and rattles" Its an 08.

My cars have ranged from 1967 to a 2008, and now a brand new 2013 Toyota which is so far pretty solid and silent.
Mines an 08. Only rattle just recently came in the drivers door. That's probably my fault though when I took off the door panel for the aftermarket side mirrors.

From 2006-about 2010 models (or starting with L-Finesse models) Lexus quality suffered in terms of fit and finish, materials used and reliability. Thankfully 2011 and up have shown a sharp increase back to Lexus like quality in fit and finish and reliability. I won't include materials used because that is a mixed bag, what with the GS being fantastic and the ES materials being a total and utter shame.
Old 03-26-13, 09:58 PM
circuitt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 08 had the rattle tsb done, helped considerablely. But I have noticed when my car is parked in the sun for awhile there is this creeking type sound coming coming from the rightish side of my dash, but seems to go away after awhile.. Is this normal ? Or should I try to take it back tithe dealer?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Mines an 08. Only rattle just recently came in the drivers door. That's probably my fault though when I took off the door panel for the aftermarket side mirrors.

From 2006-about 2010 models (or starting with L-Finesse models) Lexus quality suffered in terms of fit and finish, materials used and reliability. Thankfully 2011 and up have shown a sharp increase back to Lexus like quality in fit and finish and reliability. I won't include materials used because that is a mixed bag, what with the GS being fantastic and the ES materials being a total and utter shame.
Old 03-27-13, 12:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by circuitt
My 08 had the rattle tsb done, helped considerablely. But I have noticed when my car is parked in the sun for awhile there is this creeking type sound coming coming from the rightish side of my dash, but seems to go away after awhile.. Is this normal ? Or should I try to take it back tithe dealer?
You mention Sun, which makes me think of Hot and Cold and the poping/creaking noises created through expansion of materials in temperature
Old 03-27-13, 01:34 AM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's an absolute statement and hence wrong. Earlier models suffered a few squeaks and rattles, but the 2IS is now at the end of it's model run. Sit in a 2011+ model and they are extremely buttoned down.
Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that bro.. I have a 2011 F Sport and man, I had a real problem with my driver side rattle. Had it fixed and now it's coming back just to be as bad as it was before. Some random rattles here and there as well. Can't pinpoint it but for some reason it goes away but comes back. I usually notice it more in warmer weather? O_o
Old 03-27-13, 07:00 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally love the ride of my car. its extremely comfortable and I have never had a problem with comfort or ride quality. My dash rattles and that annoys the crap out of me but what can you do? Mine had 103k on it and counting and it feels just as good if not better than any of the brand new ones Ive driven.
Old 03-27-13, 07:38 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yammy
Hmmm. I'm not so sure about that bro.. I have a 2011 F Sport and man, I had a real problem with my driver side rattle. Had it fixed and now it's coming back just to be as bad as it was before. Some random rattles here and there as well. Can't pinpoint it but for some reason it goes away but comes back. I usually notice it more in warmer weather? O_o
What part of the driver's side is it rattling from? I hear a rattle from my driver's side door, but I don't want it taken apart to be fixed, so I might just deal with it for now.
Old 03-31-13, 11:43 AM
SparksLex
Driver

Finally got time to sit down and respond... Thanks for the replies everybody and keeping the thread alive.

I took in my car on Friday and went for a drive with the tech. He asked me what my tire psi is set at... I told him I put it at 50psi according to the tirewall max spec lol. Haha, I know, huge noob move. He freaked out and told me it was way to high and showed me a sticker inside the drivers side door that has the recommended specs (mid 30s front and rear), so I feel pretty confident that will take care of the issue.

Also, this is a new topic, but they gave me a 2012 is250 to drive over the weekend - this thing shifts SIGNIFICANTLY faster than my 350. I'll do some research but is this the same transmission in the newer 2nd gens? it litterally shifts in about half the time as my 06' IS does. Might be time to replace the tranny fluid...
Old 03-31-13, 01:48 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Dont get started on tranny fluid, or at least do a search, we have a huge thread on that. But another thought is that you might want to reset the ECU so it can relearn how you drive. I would think that might help speed things up.

But getting back to the tranny, its a sealed unit, its not intended to be changed. And from what I have read its quite a pain.
Old 04-01-13, 06:57 PM
SparksLex
Driver

Ya, I think I saw the thread you're referring to. Service Manager at lex says its operating as it should for the mileage and that it should shift different than the 250 does. Oh well.
Old 04-04-13, 03:44 PM
Shaneh85
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than some rattle from what seems to be the inside rear my car floats. 06 is250 2wd with 61k miles. I just took off old wheels and had fresh tires put on my 18in stockies with a front end alignment and man it makes me want to just leave it stock. I mean night and day difference in ride quality. Seriously considering a nice set of 18s with decent offsets just for the ride quality. I really would like to know what that dang rattle is though.
Old 04-04-13, 05:51 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Individual
What part of the driver's side is it rattling from? I hear a rattle from my driver's side door, but I don't want it taken apart to be fixed, so I might just deal with it for now.
If you have water bottles there, they will rattle.

I got a rattle from the interior black window trim or cover type plastic -- it's right by my left ear. If I press against it, it goes away. It only happens in hot weather. I probably going to stick some piece of stuff in there...