IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06' rides very harsh and rattles over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 12:21 AM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06' rides very harsh and rattles over bumps

I know its a sports car, but isn't it a luxury sports car? I've had this thing for almost a year now, and maybe the streets of San Jose are continuing to degrade, but if go over a mildly bumpy roads, I just hear all kinds of creeks and rattles inside the car, to the point that its almost embarrassing and I feel like my car is falling apart. Not only is sound an issue but when I go over bumps, the vibration is almost unbearable. Its just incredibly uncomfortable and not what I would suspect from a car of this caliber. My 5.0 Mustang felt almost exactly the same and that thing was almost 30 years old.

Otherwise, the car seems to be in great condition. I know I need to take it to a shop to really get any questions answered, but I just wanted to get some opinions from other owners. I just hit 75k on the odometer and otherwise the car runs great. Its also a premium model, not sport.

Last edited by SparksLex; 03-25-13 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-25-13, 11:19 AM
Mingus
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the IS interior build quality is pretty **** poor. As well as ride quality..
Old 03-25-13, 11:25 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Seems like you guys should really take a test drive before buying a car...
Old 03-25-13, 12:39 PM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mingus
Yeah, the IS interior build quality is pretty **** poor. As well as ride quality..
maybe you're isx50 is just a pile. im probably not the only member here who loves the interior and has no issues with it.

To the OP.
as for ride quality its an 06 and has 75k miles on it.... parts dont last forever you probably need new shocks/struts maybe bushings. theres lots of wear and tear suspension parts that could be worn out, if you are un happy take it to the dealership and see what needs to be replaced.
Old 03-25-13, 01:32 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

I bought my 06 IS250 with 86k miles on it, and it feels like im running on air. to the OP, im not sure why you are having that problem, I would definitely take it in to get looked at. The interior on my 06 is great, and there is no rattling, and the car runs very smooth. I'm about to drop it an inch or 2 on H&R springs, you might need to look into something like that. To answer your question, it should NOT ride like that! it should ride very smooth.
Old 03-25-13, 01:58 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Just to add I also had a IS350 '06 with over 130k miles and never had the issues you are.
Old 03-25-13, 02:16 PM
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate

My 08 has over 60k and I've never had an issue with the interior, aside from the slight squeak around the radio after the car has sat in the heat for awhile. The ride is a bit harsh, but that's how it was when I bought it and I like how it handles.
Old 03-25-13, 02:24 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

First of all, I don't think the IS is a sports car nor a luxury sports car as how you described, more like a sporty entry-level luxury car?

Anyways, i live in fairly close to your area (Santa Clara), lowered on aftermarket suspensions and i've no complaints with the comfort level. It's a little harsh to be expected, but overall i think its very comfortable aside from the annoying rattles which is inevitable.
Old 03-25-13, 02:50 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusis07
[...]as for ride quality its an 06 and has 75k miles on it.... parts dont last forever you probably need new shocks/struts maybe bushings. theres lots of wear and tear suspension parts that could be worn out, if you are un happy take it to the dealership and see what needs to be replaced.
OP,
Were any of the suspension parts replaced before/after you got it? There was/is something at the dealer for in-cabin noise "Dash rattlte TSB" or something like that. You can do a search for that here and see if anything relates to the issue.
Old 03-26-13, 12:03 AM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I don't think the IS is a sports car nor a luxury sports car as how you described, more like a sporty entry-level luxury car?
x2. If it's price segment was higher, maybe they could use magnetic ride control to create the duality of luxury smooth, yet sporty handling- or throw sales volume to the wind and simply make it stiff. But using 'conventional' damper valving, suspension geometry etc, one can only go so far in trying to make a car smooth yet sporty at the same time.

IMO Lexus did pretty good with the 06 IS250 I have. It could be a stiff ride at times, but if I didn't like it, there are softer riding luxury cars out there that in turn loose the sporty feel. I've ridden in stiffer OEM cars, not because they are sports cars, but because they were econo-boxes- their suspension design 'good enough', hardly any sound deadening etc. I like that the Lexus has soft components to absorb NVH as much as possible, but has design elements to support good handling. I really dig going WOT and hardly hearing that I've done so. Screw the extra ~15hp from opening her up with N/A mods.

The only thing I would change with ride quality right now is not so much suspension, but the OE brake pads have too much bite. Thats an easy fix come brake job time- cheap generic replacements will have never been so welcome with me before lol. I bought it used and there is a noise near the back seat, but IMO once I get back there while the wife is driving, I should be able to address it.

OP, do you know your car's history? A beat up chassis could explain the bad feeling.
Old 03-26-13, 01:00 AM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ride quality shouldn't be that bad, what kind of tires are you running on? Stock suspension?

There are a few known "rattle" spots on the 2IS, search the forums for specific fixes.
Old 03-26-13, 04:30 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dash rattle & door rattles suck, but can possibly be fixed out of warranty & members here have posted some info - those are the 2 major ones that I'm aware of (the dash to me includes the instrument cluster bezel).

I would definitely look at bushings and shocks. You also did not state what brand / size tires you were running, or if your car was AWD or RWD.

Also, sent you a PM. HTH
Old 03-26-13, 08:23 PM
lazyboy006
Driver School Candidate

As people have already said, it's certainly not "classic lexus" smooth, but I still find it decently comfortable if a little bit firm. Sounds like yours may be a little rougher than usual.
Old 03-26-13, 08:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingus
That's an absolute statement and hence wrong. Earlier models suffered a few squeaks and rattles, but the 2IS is now at the end of it's model run. Sit in a 2011+ model and they are extremely buttoned down.
Old 03-26-13, 09:03 PM
Mingus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's an absolute statement and hence wrong. Earlier models suffered a few squeaks and rattles, but the 2IS is now at the end of it's model run. Sit in a 2011+ model and they are extremely buttoned down.
Perhaps. However, it is pretty annoying (and a turn off on Lexus) that my IS350 has more squeaks, rattles, and vibrations than all seven cars I owned prior to it put together.

Heck, the interior in this car rattles more than the craptastic Chevy Cavaliar Z24 my mom bought brand new back in 1988 or 89.

That is a far cry more than a "few squeaks and rattles" Its an 08.

My cars have ranged from 1967 to a 2008, and now a brand new 2013 Toyota which is so far pretty solid and silent.

Quick Reply: 06' rides very harsh and rattles over bumps