IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it safe to have two lexus keys in one car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 06:57 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first person to lock their fob in an IS had BETTER post up a thread on just exactly how that went down. Lol.
Old 08-13-12, 10:12 AM
MGLane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are small dead spots in our vehicles, more so with the larger ES's and GS's, where the smart keys are not detected by the vehicle. I have heard of situations, again, in the ES, not the IS, where ladies will have their keys in their purse, then place their purse in the trunk, and wind up locking their keys in the car that way. A pretty crazy scenario but it has none the less happened.
Old 08-13-12, 10:17 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem... My wife has one of my keys and I have one.

I driven wife (with both keys) and locked the doors fine with them. I'm also able to open them fine.
Old 08-13-12, 11:01 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
How are you going to do that exactly, since it won't lock using the door button if a key is inside the car?

It's virtually impossible to "lock your only keys in your car" on a 2IS (or any smartkey vehicle I would think).
Yeah....you'd pretty much have to leave your key fob in the trunk, with the trunk lock engaged and the glove compartment locked in order to lock the key in the car lol.
Old 08-13-12, 01:12 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I once locked the keys to my HS250h loaner car inside the vehicle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...e-the-car.html
Old 08-13-12, 01:14 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe OP is wondering about two different Lexus key fobs from two different vehicles being in one car at the same time. He's wondering if the car would pick up the signal from the wrong key.

This would never happen, as it would cause a MAJOR security issue across all of the smartkey enabled Lexus vehicles. No company would ever allow something like this to get past quality control.

This is how I think the keys work. At the Lexus dealership/service centre, the key is programmed to the car using a specific access code that is unique to the key. So the car will read any Lexus smartkey that is within range, but it will only respond to the key that matches the access code programmed to the car's system.
Old 08-13-12, 01:17 PM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

If that were a real problem, how would you have gotten get the 2nd key home from the dealership when you bought the car? Have a buddy tail you to and fro with your extra key in his car?

ds
Old 08-13-12, 05:30 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
How are you going to do that exactly, since it won't lock using the door button if a key is inside the car?

It's virtually impossible to "lock your only keys in your car" on a 2IS (or any smartkey vehicle I would think).
it's already been discussed and it happen,trunk is consider part or inside of the car that don't have to elaborate it,accident happen and you cannot tell when and where gonna struck you.
Old 08-13-12, 06:11 PM
meis250
Driver

Almost did that with the key in the trunk. If the car is locked and you leave the key in the trunk it will let you open the trunk and get it. If the car is not locked, then you cannot open the trunk from outside, and you have to use the trunk open button in the car. Needless to say when it happened i thought technology let me down, then i noticed the car was unlocked. My friends are still making fun of the "impossible to lock your key" in the is2...
BTW, I have had both keys in the car at the same time and never noticed an issue.
Old 08-13-12, 08:38 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I believe OP is wondering about two different Lexus key fobs from two different vehicles being in one car at the same time. He's wondering if the car would pick up the signal from the wrong key.

This would never happen, as it would cause a MAJOR security issue across all of the smartkey enabled Lexus vehicles. No company would ever allow something like this to get past quality control.

This is how I think the keys work. At the Lexus dealership/service centre, the key is programmed to the car using a specific access code that is unique to the key. So the car will read any Lexus smartkey that is within range, but it will only respond to the key that matches the access code programmed to the car's system.
I wonder if this is really true that every car has a unique code, or if its like garage door and house lock manufacturers where they basically have a finite amount of unique combinations and have to re-use the same ones. Eventhough it is unlikely that you will ever come accross someone with the same garage door signal or front door key, it is possible because of this fact.

I would be interested to know from someone who knows for a fact if our keys are truely unique for every single Lexus in the world.
Old 08-13-12, 09:40 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

It wont let you lock the spare in there so there is no point... The negative to having both keys in your purse is if you lost your purse/ man bag... You are going to be in a tough spot.
Old 08-14-12, 01:40 AM
KINETICS
Driver

Having more than one FOB keys from the same/different manufacturer/model will not cause any harm/issue. As each FOB is programmed with a different access code in a different frequency. Your car won't even see or detect it.
Old 08-14-12, 05:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
Could it be that personalized settings on the car are programmed to the key??? So if u have both your keys it may be confused whose settings to follow?
The only LPS tied to the key would be the memory seats (which, of course, isn't an LPS at all)--IF you have memory seats and IF you linked both keys to the memory presets. And I have been in the car when my wife had her key too--nothing happened, and the memory seats worked find.
Old 08-14-12, 05:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slixx
It wont let you lock the spare in there so there is no point... The negative to having both keys in your purse is if you lost your purse/ man bag... You are going to be in a tough spot.
You CAN lock the other fob in the car if you lock with the first fob, and not with the door button.
Old 08-14-12, 10:39 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanIS350
I would be interested to know from someone who knows for a fact if our keys are truely unique for every single Lexus in the world.
Sorry, I might have been a little unclear on what I meant. I think the keys are unique from the factory, and come pre-programmed with a specific access code. The Lexus dealership then takes that programmed code and programs it to the car's ECU or whatever, so that if the key with that access code tries to communicate with the car, it will work.

Also, given that Lexus probably uses a combination of letters and numbers for the access code, and for all we know the access code could be 7 or 8 characters long, the sheer number of different combinations of codes is enough to guarantee that every keyfob will have it's own unique code. And even if they did run out of combinations, they could just add another number or letter to the code, probably without any other issues.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to have two lexus keys in one car?