IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cost to repair/replace dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 05:49 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car wasnt even purchased at a lexus dealership and they helped me, dont see why they wouldnt extend some sort of courtesy

Are you the first owner?
Old 04-10-12, 05:49 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Sorry man with due respect I disagree, did you look at that last picture? looks like finger streaks from a melted dashboard

Wether he banged out those holes or not they should replace his dashboard. Now if he has a hole in his seat, thats something else. I am not one to try and pass anything off but if the issue is there I will find a solution somehow. Lexus drains people's wallets on a daily basis. A simple 2 hour job am sure wont break their bank.
I guess that's one good thing about CL... different people got different ways of viewing things.

I guess its all good if OP gets his dash replaced. I'm just saying if I did the damage and it was reasonable based on whatever i did to damage it, I wouldn't try passing the problem onto Lexus. Everyone's different tho!

Originally Posted by kams229
i have the same problem with the my dashboard getting sticky but with my car being out of warranty do u think if i would give lexus corp. a call since they know this is a issue they would work with me on the replacement?
Give Lexus Corporate a call and see what they can do. The worse thing they can do is say no. Bring up the TSIB for the melting dash and let them know yours fits the TSIB, but simply isn't under warranty and you'd like to see if they are willing to do anything to correct the matter and keep you happy as a customer. I've seen that usually they will offer you some sort of help. Either way, it can't hurt to call and ask.
Old 04-10-12, 05:57 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry man with due respect I disagree, did you look at that last picture? looks like finger streaks from a melted dashboard

Wether he banged out those holes or not they should replace his dashboard. Now if he has a hole in his seat, thats something else. I am not one to try and pass anything off but if the issue is there I will find a solution somehow. Lexus drains people's wallets on a daily basis. A simple 2 hour job am sure wont break their bank.
You're understandably bitter about your own poor dash experience. But in this situation, this damage is very clearly NOT related to the TSIB. The TSIB will only be performed if specific conditions or symptoms are present - in this case, a sticky or melted dash. From the pictures, this dash clearly is not suffering either symptom - it's just been scratched. And the last picture doesn't look like fingers streaks from a melted dashboard, it looks like fingernail scratches. Very different.

Furthermore, even if the damage was caused by the sticky melting dash, the dealership would still have to see proof of these symptoms. So OP would have to bring it in while it was exhibiting the symptom of the sticky melting dash, or the dealership would have to keep the car till the problem manifested itself.

So no, the sticky dash TSIB does not apply here. Furthermore, the car would still have to be under the factory warranty (4 yrs/50k miles) for this TSIB to be covered by warranty anyway. I don't know the year and mileage of the OP's car, but if it's out of this period, the TSIB is totally irrelevant. Even if the marks were caused by a sticky, melting dash, it would be out of pocket because he'd be out of warranty.

OP - your best bet is to start shopping around for a dash pad. It's sold as one big piece and will be expensive. I'd look for salvage junkyards.

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
Quick question, do TSB's work under extended bumper to bumper warranty?
I got my car CPO from Keyes Lexus! Its an 06 with nearly 50k miles on it. I bought the extended 5 year or 100k miles
Each TSIB is different. A TSIB related to the powertrain will be covered by the powertrain warranty. A TSIB related to a rattle will be covered only by the factory warranty. So you can't make a blanket statement that all TSIBs are or are not covered by an extended warranty. It depends on what the TSIB relates to and what the warranty covers. Each TSIB lists exactly what warranties it's covered under.

In this particular case, no the sticky dash TSIB would NOT be covered by CPO, because CPO expressly does not cover body and interior trim pieces (which includes the dash pad).

Originally Posted by kams229
i have the same problem with the my dashboard getting sticky but with my car being out of warranty do u think if i would give lexus corp. a call since they know this is a issue they would work with me on the replacement?
It certainly can't hurt to try. Understand there are no guarantees - as you yourself said for you it is no longer covered at all because you're out of warranty. So Lexus would have to do this goodwill. I'm going to bet at best they'll offer to pay half, or either labor or parts and you cover the other. Definitely call and complain, mention that many people are having this problem and there's a TSIB for it, and hopefully you'll get some recompense.
Old 04-10-12, 06:00 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you got there man, Cat fight? =) LOL
Old 04-10-12, 06:01 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

That's right, agree to disagree my brotha!

kams929 I would do what killa said, call them and the worst they can say is no.
Old 04-10-12, 06:12 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by calvin2376
You're understandably bitter about your own poor dash experience. But in this situation, this damage is very clearly NOT related to the TSIB. The TSIB will only be performed if specific conditions or symptoms are present - in this case, a sticky or melted dash. From the pictures, this dash clearly is not suffering either symptom - it's just been scratched. And the last picture doesn't look like fingers streaks from a melted dashboard, it looks like fingernail scratches. Very different.

Really? mine looked just like that and it was replaced
Never once did I intentionally scratch my dashboard, all I did was try to remove my sunshade and my hands touched the dash and VOILA, looked just like OP's..

Furthermore, even if the damage was caused by the sticky melting dash, the dealership would still have to see proof of these symptoms. So OP would have to bring it in while it was exhibiting the symptom of the sticky melting dash, or the dealership would have to keep the car till the problem manifested itself.

correct, I took mine in on the instructions of corporate for pictures.. was given an answer that same day, I wish I had taken pictures of mine, LITERALLY looked like OP's. An area manager who happened to be at the dealership saw it himself and said "dont even bother calling corporate back, we know about this and will take care of it..... so looks like it wont be a problem for them to determine it is caused by the known issue

1. So no, the sticky dash TSIB does not apply here.2. Furthermore, the car would still have to be under the factory warranty (4 yrs/50k miles) for this TSIB to be covered by warranty anyway. I don't know the year and mileage of the OP's car, but if it's out of this period, the TSIB is totally irrelevant. Even if the marks were caused by a sticky, melting dash, it would be out of pocket because he'd be out of warranty.

OP - your best bet is to start shopping around for a dash pad. It's sold as one big piece and will be expensive. I'd look for salvage junkyards.
I love it when Calvin gets involved

1. Wrong, it is obvious on that last picture that due to the material softening/melting it was easy for OP to leave those marks behind.

2. I was out of warranty, 59K miles and wayyy past my four years.... I never argued it would be free and the TSIB will cover it with no out of pocket expense, but they WILL work with you.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 04-10-12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 06:22 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know of they addressed this issue on the later models?
Old 04-10-12, 06:29 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2. I was out of warranty, 59K miles and wayyy past my four years.... I never argued it would be free and the TSIB will cover it with no out of pocket expense, but they WILL work with you.
I can only speak to what the explicit warranty policy is and the coverage policy explicitly stated in the TSIB. Technically, the sticky dash TSIB is not covered by ANY warranty except the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty because it's related to the dash pad, an interior trim piece, which is not covered by powertrain, CPO, or any VSA.

What this means is that either 1) your dealership covered it goodwill, or 2) Lexus corporate decided to pay for it. Regardless of what happened, you didn't have to pay for it but it wasn't technically covered by warranty.

Each case is different, so when people ask questions I answer with the explicitly stated answer from Lexus. I of course encourage the OP to call Lexus and complain and try and get a different answer, as you obviously did.

I should also mention I was basing my answer on the OP's description, within which he used the terms "scratched" and "torn", implying someone or something scratched and tore his dash, and nowhere did he mention his dash was sticky and/or melting at any point. If it was, that would change things, but I assumed if that were they case he'd have mentioned it.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-10-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 07:11 PM
dcl10
Driver School Candidate

The hole and deeper marks are actually not that difficult to repair, the srcatches on the right hand side can't really be fixed, but they can be made less visible. You can find someone to half *** it for $25-$50, but a good repair will be more like $100-$150.
Old 04-10-12, 07:31 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

No arguing with you Calvin, I admit you know 300 times more than I do about these cars and their coverage, am just saying you shouldn't make it sound like there is no hope for OP.

Dcl10, did you get the tracking #?
Old 04-11-12, 08:21 PM
BigWiLL345
Driver

$224, I was out of warranty and went through lexus corporate. Call them. They will tell you to take it to a dealership so they can get pictures. Explain that these "gashes/holes" happened by you simply touching and running your fingers on the dashboard. Honestly even though it looks like you did that, no TRUE non defective dashboard should do that. Most likely they will pay labor and you pay parts.
Hey Vroomin which dealership did you go to? my dash is soft and melting.
Old 04-11-12, 09:02 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
Does anyone know of they addressed this issue on the later models?
The issue remains. Just give it time those dashes will be prone to the same shi# IF the vehicle remains in an area of immense heat such as south Texas / Florida
Old 04-11-12, 09:05 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

No arguing with you Calvin, I admit you know 300 times more than I do about these cars and their coverage, am just saying you shouldn't make it sound like there is no hope for OP.

Dcl10, did you get the tracking #?
Agreed. Had i not been helped by corporate my $800 bill through JM Lexus would have been $2100 after taxes/3 day car rental
Old 04-11-12, 09:49 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

The pic of the finger scratches look like a pissed off female in a rage damaged the dash.
Old 04-12-12, 05:22 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
The issue remains. Just give it time those dashes will be prone to the same shi# IF the vehicle remains in an area of immense heat such as south Texas / Florida
A sun shade is your best friend, I've used since day one and so has my sister (she has an 08 IS250) and we both have avoided this issue with the dash. Actually both our dashes look good as new and firm and sturdy.

Last edited by B16da9; 04-12-12 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Cost to repair/replace dashboard?