IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How can we lock our car while engine is running

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 06:03 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How can we lock our car while engine is running

I dont want to leave the doors unlocked but I want to warm up my car when im in the house, anyway of doing this with the remote
Old 03-29-12, 06:56 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

You pretty much have to use the mechanical key to lock/unlock the door from the outside while the car is running.

Jeff
Old 03-29-12, 07:06 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ that or use a brake/clutch lock
Old 03-29-12, 08:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's probably also worth mentioning that idling to warm up is about the worst thing you can do to a healthy engine.

to warm it up, drive it.
Old 03-29-12, 08:28 AM
Denver
Lead Lap

^^^ say what??? can you explain this
Old 03-29-12, 08:31 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Always wanted to know it was able to lock with the car running, good question
Old 03-29-12, 09:41 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

isn't that ilegal in some states? to leave a car running to warm it up.
Old 03-29-12, 09:49 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ i do it every morning now, because when i start my car its cold and idle at 3k for about a minute or 2, before goin to normal
Old 03-29-12, 10:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Denver
^^^ say what??? can you explain this
There's been several threads explaining in considerable technical detail why it's bad for an engine to idle it to warm it up (or in general).

The owners manual explicitly states you shouldn't "warm up" the car before driving it and excessive Idling is in fact one of the things that kicks a car into the 'severe duty' maintenance schedule in the service manual and

Proper "warm up" is done by driving the vehicle.

All sitting there letting it warm does is waste fuel and contaminate your oil with condensation and blow-by from piston rings that seal poorly at idle.

Here's one of the super-long threads on the topic-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ur-engine.html

There's some 1950s-era "You should warm your car up!" BS early on page 2, but later in the page, and through the rest of the thread, you get folks who actually know WTF they're talking (Gernby, Lobuxracer, and others) about explaining why this advice hasn't been true for many many years on modern cars, and why it's actually bad to do it.
Old 03-29-12, 10:24 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's been several threads explaining in considerable technical detail why it's bad for an engine to idle it to warm it up (or in general).

The owners manual explicitly states you shouldn't "warm up" the car before driving it and excessive Idling is in fact one of the things that kicks a car into the 'severe duty' maintenance schedule in the service manual and

All sitting there letting it warm does is waste fuel and contaminate your oil with condensation and blow-by from piston rings that seal poorly at idle.

There's some 1950s-era "You should warm your car up!" BS early on page 2, but later in the page, and through the rest of the thread, you get folks who actually know WTF they're talking (Gernby, Lobuxracer, and others) about explaining why this advice hasn't been true for many many years on modern cars, and why it's actually bad to do it.

All I can say is WOWWWW, this is precisely why I joined CL to learn little things like this...WOW. Good to know.
Old 03-29-12, 04:24 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^^Totally agree
Originally Posted by Kurtz

This is really good to know, I usually let my 250 sit for about thirty seconds before putting it in drive so that probably doesn't count as warming it up. I never warm up my Tahoe as I feel like the engine is so big it's warm after igniton. However... My 08 Subaru Impreza had a cold engine light, and the owners manual recommended that you waited until this light turned off before driving the car. Obviously there is the engine difference (Boxxer 4 vs. Inline 6), so would the smaller engine size make it worth it to warm the car up, or be just as bad? Don't have the Subaru anymore but just curious.
Old 03-29-12, 04:40 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i still warm my engines before driving. so far no problems on my engines.
Old 03-29-12, 04:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
^^^^^Totally agree

This is really good to know, I usually let my 250 sit for about thirty seconds before putting it in drive so that probably doesn't count as warming it up. I never warm up my Tahoe as I feel like the engine is so big it's warm after igniton. However... My 08 Subaru Impreza had a cold engine light, and the owners manual recommended that you waited until this light turned off before driving the car. Obviously there is the engine difference (Boxxer 4 vs. Inline 6), so would the smaller engine size make it worth it to warm the car up, or be just as bad? Don't have the Subaru anymore but just curious.
you meant V6? (assuming your comparing YOUR car)
Old 03-29-12, 04:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by silvaIS
I dont want to leave the doors unlocked but I want to warm up my car when im in the house, anyway of doing this with the remote
summers around the corner
Old 03-29-12, 06:09 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ok great insight, i promise i wont let it run longer than a minute. but besides that any info on locking the car while its running, maybe i want it to cool in the hot summer =)

Quick Reply: How can we lock our car while engine is running