IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML+ "iPod Out" and Pandora Radio video demonstration for 5th and 6th Gen Nav

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 02:40 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML+ "iPod Out" and Pandora Radio video demonstration for 5th and 6th Gen Nav

This is the ML+ "iPod Out" and Pandora Internet Radio operation in 2006-2011+ Lexus models with 5th or 6th Gen navigation system with touch screen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vaistech.../0/DyX8BXbOVRQ

Last edited by VaisTech; 07-27-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 04:29 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wait is this via a pandora app on the ipod touch/iphone?
Old 07-27-11, 04:40 PM
santacruz
Driver

I'm confused...does the name imply that it is only for the Mark Levinson stereo or is that simply a coincidence? I can't figure out if this is compatible with my 2008 factory non ML nav system??? I pretty much strictly use Pandora in my car and would LOVE to be able to do all this through the head unit...plus my friends would be super jealous. hahaha
Old 07-27-11, 04:50 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

media linq = ml im running it on my non ml 2007 w/nav...very easy install mine sits in my center arm rest and the wires are run up that little secret door so i didnt have to destroy or drill anything.
Old 07-27-11, 05:27 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

I'm really likin' this mod and it's going on my list of to-do's! Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-27-11, 08:16 PM
Chow
Pit Crew

nice video. I am very tempted to get this now.
Old 07-28-11, 05:40 AM
350FSport
Driver

Wow this is AWESOME! How do I get one for my non-ML 2011? Now can you make one for Rhapsody?
Old 07-28-11, 08:47 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by santacruz
I'm confused...does the name imply that it is only for the Mark Levinson stereo or is that simply a coincidence? I can't figure out if this is compatible with my 2008 factory non ML nav system??? I pretty much strictly use Pandora in my car and would LOVE to be able to do all this through the head unit...plus my friends would be super jealous. hahaha
I have their VML system and it works well. It doesn't seem to have the ability to run Pandora through the model I have. I think you need the ML+ model for that. Of course, I only have an ipod and not an iphone to access Pandora. For Pandora, since I have an Android phone, I just run a cable from my headphone jack on the phone to the AUX jack in the center console. Voilà! Now I can listen to Pandora or any other music I have stored on my phone. I just can't use factory controls. I have to use the controls on the phone but the sound comes out through the stereo system and sounds great. I didn't feel the need to spend a couple of hundred more for a couple of more options.
Old 07-28-11, 09:22 AM
350FSport
Driver

^^ Anybody can run it through the phone interface, the point is to be able to run it from the nav unit, which is HUGE. I hate looking down to the tiny phone screen to choose things while I am driving, it is dangerous!
Old 07-28-11, 09:39 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice video! I might try this later in the week.

Just to clarify for everyone, ML = Mark Levinson and ML+ = MediaLinQ Plus (the VaisTech unit).

Originally Posted by robertrios
media linq = ml im running it on my non ml 2007 w/nav...very easy install mine sits in my center arm rest and the wires are run up that little secret door so i didnt have to destroy or drill anything.
Do you have any pics of your install? I'm curious to see how it looks. I installed my ML+ on the floor near the passenger's feet. No cutting or anything in that case either, but there is a slight bulge under the carpet. I wonder if anyone has put it in their glovebox yet...

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
I have their VML system and it works well. It doesn't seem to have the ability to run Pandora through the model I have. I think you need the ML+ model for that. Of course, I only have an ipod and not an iphone to access Pandora. For Pandora, since I have an Android phone, I just run a cable from my headphone jack on the phone to the AUX jack in the center console. Voilà! Now I can listen to Pandora or any other music I have stored on my phone. I just can't use factory controls. I have to use the controls on the phone but the sound comes out through the stereo system and sounds great. I didn't feel the need to spend a couple of hundred more for a couple of more options.
Aside from not having use of factory controls or nav screen integration, the sound quality takes a hit going through AUX. ML+ through USB is digital, and in the case of Mark Levinson-equipped cars, the digital signal runs straight to the digital amp, which was a big selling point for me. The sound quality is equal to a CD (not counting MP3 compression of course).
Old 07-28-11, 11:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz

Aside from not having use of factory controls or nav screen integration, the sound quality takes a hit going through AUX. ML+ through USB is digital, and in the case of Mark Levinson-equipped cars, the digital signal runs straight to the digital amp, which was a big selling point for me. The sound quality is equal to a CD (not counting MP3 compression of course).

Doesn't this thing install with analog plugs into the back of the head unit? (it might not, but previous VAIS units I've looked at do)

In which case it's exactly the same as the AUX jack for audio quality... since both would be analog line level inputs to the head unit. (assuming you use the dock connector on your idevice, not the inferior headphone jack)

It's not like the USB from the iphone/pod is going directly, digitally, to your amp or something.
Old 07-28-11, 12:13 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Doesn't this thing install with analog plugs into the back of the head unit? (it might not, but previous VAIS units I've looked at do)

In which case it's exactly the same as the AUX jack for audio quality... since both would be analog line level inputs to the head unit. (assuming you use the dock connector on your idevice, not the inferior headphone jack)

It's not like the USB from the iphone/pod is going directly, digitally, to your amp or something.
The ML+ uses a different connection. The VaisTech guys can provide a more detailed, technical explanation, but from my personal experience of installing 3 different VaisTech models (SL2i-UP, SL2iC, and ML+) I can tell you that the ML+ utilizes an entirely different connection method. Anecdotally, I also compared identical music files and the ML+ had noticeably better sound quality. You can ask rominl and Batman about it as well.
Old 07-28-11, 02:27 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is so freaking cool. Vais...can you make something for the Fly Audio please!!
Old 07-28-11, 04:31 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Does iPod out feature works with App like Trapster where I can see red light camera database on the Nav screen?
Old 07-28-11, 07:08 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just when I thought I was done modding...

Quick Reply: ML+ "iPod Out" and Pandora Radio video demonstration for 5th and 6th Gen Nav