IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can anyone tell me how to do a top engine clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 07:32 AM
Rizon25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone tell me how to do a top engine clean?

Hi,

I've read about the is250 having problems with carbon buildup and my warranty has expired. Can anyone tell me in detail how to perform a proper top engine clean using gm tec? How hard is this? I know that I have to feed it through the pcv line but where is that located? I also know that I need to change the oil after but is a spark plug change necessary as well?

I've searched and noticed that there isn't really a great diy article for this, is this because the procedure is difficult?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-11, 08:08 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rizon25
Hi,

I've read about the is250 having problems with carbon buildup and my warranty has expired. Can anyone tell me in detail how to perform a proper top engine clean using gm tec? How hard is this? I know that I have to feed it through the pcv line but where is that located? I also know that I need to change the oil after but is a spark plug change necessary as well?

I've searched and noticed that there isn't really a great diy article for this, is this because the procedure is difficult?

Thanks.
Spark plug change is recommended at 60k intervals, so if you're at 60k or 120k then you should do spark plugs at the same time.

You said your warranty's up - I just wanted to point out that I believe (and others correct me if I'm wrong) that the carbon build-up TSIB is covered under the Powertrain warranty, which is 70k miles, not just the 50k factory warranty. This could be moot because you might be out of both, but I just wanted to throw that in.
Old 05-16-11, 11:17 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Yep from what I read on the TSB it is covered by the Powertrain Warranty.
Old 05-16-11, 03:08 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP didn't state he/she was actually having issues with carbon build up, probably just wanted to do a pre-emptive cleaning, which is what I'm doing right before I change out the spark plugs. If he/she is having problems, then it's covered by the powertrain warranty.

If you want the TSB procedures, read the TSB.
The procedure lexus requries you to pull out all spark plugs, pour in solvent, crank the engine, wait, and then run the engine like crazy, and then change the oil.

While this is effective, an easier method is to pull a vacuum line, pour half a bottle of seafoam into the line while the engine is running, and wait 10 min. then run the engine like crazy. all the white smoke coming out of your exhaust is the carbon build up. I've done this on plenty of cars and motorcycles and plan on doing this right before I change my sparkplugs at 60k.

A simple google search will show you how to do it. Best way is to youtube seafoam.
Old 05-16-11, 04:33 PM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
Yep from what I read on the TSB it is covered by the Powertrain Warranty.
It's an is250..anytime you think that's the issue take it to the dealer. These cars are notorious for carbon build up, at least here in CA. To add a lil more to that, doesn't make sense really to pay for it yourself if it's covered and again, if that's the issue.
Old 05-16-11, 04:38 PM
Rizon25
Driver School Candidate

I am a little over 50,000. I forgot it was covered under the 70k powertrain warranty. I am actually getting the stuttering when I stop so I will just take it in. Thanks for all the help tho. Much appreciated.
Old 05-16-11, 06:01 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shui3000
The OP didn't state he/she was actually having issues with carbon build up, probably just wanted to do a pre-emptive cleaning, which is what I'm doing right before I change out the spark plugs. If he/she is having problems, then it's covered by the powertrain warranty.

If you want the TSB procedures, read the TSB.
The procedure lexus requries you to pull out all spark plugs, pour in solvent, crank the engine, wait, and then run the engine like crazy, and then change the oil.

While this is effective, an easier method is to pull a vacuum line, pour half a bottle of seafoam into the line while the engine is running, and wait 10 min. then run the engine like crazy. all the white smoke coming out of your exhaust is the carbon build up. I've done this on plenty of cars and motorcycles and plan on doing this right before I change my sparkplugs at 60k.

A simple google search will show you how to do it. Best way is to youtube seafoam.
Wait, so the white smoke coming out of the exhaust is caused by carbon build up? Asking cuz everytime i floor my car i leave a white cloud behind me.
Old 05-16-11, 06:45 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
Wait, so the white smoke coming out of the exhaust is caused by carbon build up? Asking cuz everytime i floor my car i leave a white cloud behind me.
No, white smoke coming out when you've poured seafoam or water into your engine is carbon build up.

If you have smoke coming out of your exhaust under normal use, there's many possible reasons for it, the most common one is that oil is being burned, which can be bad news.