IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

If it ain't broken don't fix it. Does it apply to the Valve Spring Recall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 10:27 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If it ain't broken don't fix it. Does it apply to the Valve Spring Recall?

My 2007 IS350 just turned 10K miles. I really don't want the dealer to take the entire engine apart to do change the value springs. I figure that since I don't drive it much and it's garage kept I should be okay. It's a brand new car and having the engine taken apart for "just in case" seems silly. If something does happens to it, I should be covered regardless of miles/time because it's a recall, not warranty work/TSB. Once you take an engine apart like that, it will NEVER be the same/better.

Your thoughts on this?

I am VERY unhappy with Lexus quality. My wife's Honda has NO major issues like this.
Old 12-14-10, 10:37 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

They don't take the entire engine apart for this recall, they take the valve covers off and go cylinder-to-cylinder to replace the springs...so what they really will be doing is replacing your valve springs with new and stronger springs, and they will also be replacing the associated 3 year old gaskets as well...they will also top off your gas tank, so bring it in on "E"

I had mine done over a month ago and I have had no issues at all, so I say go ahead and do it...

Also, do a quick search on this topic and you will find a couple large threads discussing this with a ton of great information...
Old 12-14-10, 10:42 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Better safe than sorry applies to this recall more. Just get it done.
Old 12-14-10, 10:50 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Acingteam
Better safe than sorry applies to this recall more. Just get it done.
I'd have to agree. Might as well get this done. It's free

Btw.. 10k on an '07, you should drive it a little more!
Old 12-14-10, 10:52 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

If it aint broke dont fix it.......? Think about....if you dont fix it...it WILL break.... Its free...get it done bro!
Old 12-14-10, 10:53 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats some really low miles on an 07. I would go ahead and get it done, its free and I've had no problems.
Old 12-14-10, 10:58 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would take it in....it's not funny when the spring snaps in the middle of the freeway....
Old 12-14-10, 11:14 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, only 10K miles? That's nuts.

Originally Posted by JMcDonald
If it aint broke dont fix it.......? Think about....if you dont fix it...it WILL break.... Its free...get it done bro!
Exactly. Best analogy I can think of would be a track athlete running with a hairline fracture in his leg. Just get it fixed before something really bad happens, like destroying your engine.
Old 12-14-10, 11:24 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I say fix it jus case
Old 12-14-10, 11:30 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Dj Amtrax. I was in the same boat as u about a month ago. I was really concerned about taking my 07 350 into the dealership to get this big recall job done even though i rarely drive it around. I decided to do it cause I dont want the valve springs crapping out on me in the middle of the road. Got my car back in a week and everything is working good so far. No complaints. I didn't get a free tank of gas like everyone else here, but maybe that varies depending the dealership. I know there's that mental thing where you feel your baby has been violated and its not the same anymore, but its violated for a good cause =)

In any case, i recommend to take it in even though you rarely drive your car. It is a safety recall for a reason and its going to really really suck when those springs break out of nowhere.
Old 12-14-10, 11:33 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
My 2007 IS350 just turned 10K miles. I really don't want the dealer to take the entire engine apart to do change the value springs. I figure that since I don't drive it much and it's garage kept I should be okay. It's a brand new car and having the engine taken apart for "just in case" seems silly. If something does happens to it, I should be covered regardless of miles/time because it's a recall, not warranty work/TSB. Once you take an engine apart like that, it will NEVER be the same/better.

Your thoughts on this?

I am VERY unhappy with Lexus quality. My wife's Honda has NO major issues like this.

You spend most of the post saying you don't think it's really a problem... then conclude about how upset you are it's such a big quality problem?

Just as a dose of reality though- Lexus states the actual problem will only impact 0.2% of owners, so you probably ARE fine, and there's really nothing to be unhappy about.

But if it makes you feel any better, Honda has plenty of recalls too... for example:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5717
or
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=5376
or
http://www.rushlane.com/honda-to-rec...ue-129748.html
or
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...-fit-jazz.html

that's 4 just this year off the top of my google... impacting everything from Fit to Civic to Accord to CR-V to Odyssey to Element to several Acura models (TL and RL)... what Honda does she own that has NOT had a recall?

And the NHTSA is investigating another Honda issue that has apparently caught at least 3 cars on fire-
http://southfield.injuryboard.com/de...oogleid=286540
Old 12-14-10, 11:59 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

do whatever that makes you happy. In the end its your car.
Old 12-14-10, 12:09 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I am just too lazy to put my car to stock. The dealership around here are **** with aftermarket mods. When they see a aftermarket part they put **Note: Aftermarket _____** in their systems so whenever something breaks in the future they will not repair that part.
Old 12-14-10, 12:13 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for the fix, it wouldn't hurt to get it done before it breaks.
Old 12-14-10, 12:43 PM
NYCIS350
Driver

it hurts when your dealer today says the next appt is in March, 2011 and will take 3-4 days to finish....wtf

Quick Reply: If it ain't broken don't fix it. Does it apply to the Valve Spring Recall?