Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Dashboard Melting!!

Old 07-17-14, 12:25 PM   #106
AileenC
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default dashboard Melting

I strongly suggest that we begin joining groups on every city and meet up on a Saturday with Signs on Corners of Every Lexus dealership protesting and showing potential buyers what our dashboards look like now. My email is acrsworldwide@gmail.com and I live in Kendall, FL. The dealership ultimately refused to fix the car. I've had this car since 8/2007, On 2011 the CD player stopped working and the dashboard began to melt. This car cost me $40k. Mayor ripoff!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
AileenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-14, 08:33 AM   #107
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

I went to the stealership last week and was told the same thing (Park Place Lexus - Plano, TX and they suck compared to Sewell Lexus) ... Was told I would have better luck calling Lexus corp. I have a friend that works for Lexus and gave me the low down of how it works behind closed doors. I submitted a ticket to the Lexus corp and recall bulletin. It is true corporate is there to keep the stealership in check. If anybody has an issue, I would call/email the corporate office and complain. Then they will call the stealership to make arrangements and keep their *** in check. Corporate is on the customer side, not the stealership. Hope this helps.
YxUxMADDDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 06:25 PM   #108
navarachi
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrag97 View Post
Update guys. Corp office call us back and try will be replacing only the front dash and two front door panel. They will cover both parts and labor.

As for the rear two door panel, we would be paying for parts and labor. Not as lucky as other who we able to get corp to pay for parts and they pay for labor. Door panel are $1,100 ea. crazy.

But we will fix the front doors and dash and order the rear later

Good luck all.
may I ask how bad your front doors and dash were? My dash has a few cracks and I'm wondering if they will cover it. I do have a platnum warranty. Thanks in advance
navarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 11:24 AM   #109
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, just got an 07 IS250 with 80k miles yesterday. noticed today while detailing the car about the melting dash. not sure why I didnt notice it while inspecting the car.

its obviously out of warranty. noticed on previous post some people are getting it fixed by paying for the labor. Is this still true?

just looking for a general update before I go to the dealership/HQ about this issue

Thanks

south GA by the way
CaptDank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 02:04 PM   #110
WhatYaGot
Lead Lap

Known problem that Lexus will fight you on.

Click here for help to get this fixed

06 IS350: (Original Owner)3M Clear Bra, 20% Tints, Rear Spoiler, 4300K Phillips HID, K&N Typhoon Air-Intake, "Lexus" Caliper Decals, Blue Illuminated "Lexus" Door Sills, OEM Sport Pedals, Tanabe Medalion Exhaust, 4080 box w/ Kenwood 12" pushed by Kicker 500.1 Amp, Vossen VVS085 20X9 235/30/20 front & 20X10.5 275/30/20 rear, JDM Style Side Mirrors w/ LED Turn Signals, Megan Coilovers

05 Toyota 4Runner: (Original Owner) V8 Limited Package
WhatYaGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 06:49 PM   #111
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

anyone tried a solution similar to this?

[URL="http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-dashboard-fix-melting-dash-look-374628/[/URL]
Old 08-27-14, 03:56 PM   #112
peter01335
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 IS250 also has the same sticky/melting dashboard issue. I recommend every one having the same issue goes to file a safety complaint in site https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml.

This is a safety issue - the melting dashboard get reflect on windshield and passenger side airbag just under it. No one has tested how big impact is for a melting dashboard.

I called Lexus Corp yesterday and was asked to take my car to dealership for evaluation. I will see how it goes.
peter01335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 10:20 AM   #113
peter01335
Driver School Candidate

Wait for a few days, and eventually got a response from Lexus Corp. They only provide 50% of part, which I estimate $300 off the $1600 in replacement total. I am not going to spend $1,300 on this in this moment. I will join other Lexus owners in fighting for a recall.
peter01335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-14, 04:49 PM   #114
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

Ive got an update.

Lexus will pay for 50% of the dash, and my dealer has agreed to charge me the labor at warranty cost.

havent called them back for complete pricing, but might only cost me around $500
Old 09-08-14, 08:46 PM   #115
06IS250FL
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06 IS250 that has the melting dash and doors. A request was submitted to Lexus Corporate by my dealership (JM Lexus in Margate FL) and it came back that they will pay for the parts on the dash and one of the doors and nothing on labor. They will also not pay anything for the other front door...very strange. I don't think a request was filed for the rear doors. They said the labor for the dash and one door would be around $1500. Since the car is 8.5 yrs old and has 135K miles on it I told them I would pass on it. However, a few months later, I now have a problem with my AC evaporator ($1900) and the dealership has agreed to put in the dash at no additional cost since the part was originally covered under the letter from Lexus and since the dash has to be completely removed in order to replace the evaporator. Not sure yet if I'm going to get the evaporator replaced on such an old vehicle...the cost is about 1/4 of the value of the car! Anyway, Lexus does not seem to have a standard response to these claims as evidenced by all of the posts here. Seems strange that they've offered so many different options when it's all the same problem. It's a shame...these are great cars! I love mine and haven't tired of it in over 8 years.
06IS250FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 07:49 AM   #116
WhatYaGot
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06IS250FL View Post
I have an 06 IS250 that has the melting dash and doors. A request was submitted to Lexus Corporate by my dealership (JM Lexus in Margate FL) and it came back that they will pay for the parts on the dash and one of the doors and nothing on labor. They will also not pay anything for the other front door...very strange. I don't think a request was filed for the rear doors. They said the labor for the dash and one door would be around $1500. Since the car is 8.5 yrs old and has 135K miles on it I told them I would pass on it. However, a few months later, I now have a problem with my AC evaporator ($1900) and the dealership has agreed to put in the dash at no additional cost since the part was originally covered under the letter from Lexus and since the dash has to be completely removed in order to replace the evaporator. Not sure yet if I'm going to get the evaporator replaced on such an old vehicle...the cost is about 1/4 of the value of the car! Anyway, Lexus does not seem to have a standard response to these claims as evidenced by all of the posts here. Seems strange that they've offered so many different options when it's all the same problem. It's a shame...these are great cars! I love mine and haven't tired of it in over 8 years.
Lexus of Pembroke Pines charged me $500.00 for labor to replace the dash with Lexus paying for the dash. $1500.00 sounds like you are paying for parts and labor. You should join the class action lawsuit for the dash and door panels.

06 IS350: (Original Owner)3M Clear Bra, 20% Tints, Rear Spoiler, 4300K Phillips HID, K&N Typhoon Air-Intake, "Lexus" Caliper Decals, Blue Illuminated "Lexus" Door Sills, OEM Sport Pedals, Tanabe Medalion Exhaust, 4080 box w/ Kenwood 12" pushed by Kicker 500.1 Amp, Vossen VVS085 20X9 235/30/20 front & 20X10.5 275/30/20 rear, JDM Style Side Mirrors w/ LED Turn Signals, Megan Coilovers

05 Toyota 4Runner: (Original Owner) V8 Limited Package
WhatYaGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 07:57 AM   #117
06IS250FL
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatYaGot View Post
Lexus of Pembroke Pines charged me $500.00 for labor to replace the dash with Lexus paying for the dash. $1500.00 sounds like you are paying for parts and labor. You should join the class action lawsuit for the dash and door panels.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Lexus will pay for the dash (just the part) and the labor and parts for one door so I think the $1500 charge would be for the labor for the dash and the parts and labor on the door they were not going to cover. However, since yesterday, JM says they need to get approval again for the one door because the regional manager who approved the initial request back in October, 2013 no longer works there. Not sure what that's all about since the previous RM represented Lexus corporate and that's what they offered me so not sure why they are backtracking a little bit. To my knowledge there was no "expiration date" on their original offer. Hopefully, the new RM will approve.
Old 09-10-14, 08:02 AM   #118
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

what is the labor cost for doing all 4 doors? For my dash I just put a dash cover on it. Do I have to go through the dealer first or do I just go straight to corporate.
Old 09-10-14, 08:26 AM   #119
06IS250FL
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen View Post
what is the labor cost for doing all 4 doors? For my dash I just put a dash cover on it. Do I have to go through the dealer first or do I just go straight to corporate.
My dealer had to file the claim with corporate. Don't know cost of all four doors. Assume labor on each door to be $200-$300 per door...obviously less labor-intensive than doing the dash but, in my case, I need to have my evaporator replaced so the whole dash needs to be removed anyway so we're not really paying any labor to have the dash replaced.
Old 09-10-14, 08:26 AM