IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tpms on aftermarket wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 11:38 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tpms on aftermarket wheels

do you need tpms on your aftermarket wheels? Will the sensor keep going off in your car or can you turn it off? I may want to save a couple bucks and not have them installed on my aftermarket wheels. Im pretty good with checking tire pressure regularly anyway.
Old 05-18-10, 11:39 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to have them, so long as you can live with the lights that are triggered in the dash. Completely up to you.
Old 05-18-10, 11:45 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People make the TPMS pipe bomb. Search it up.
Old 05-18-10, 11:54 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

ok so you will keep getting a notification and flashing light on your dash at all times then? I thought there was an option to turn off the tpms? Maybe not.
Old 05-18-10, 12:00 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pipe bomb's purpose is to make the light go away.
Old 05-18-10, 12:01 PM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
ok so you will keep getting a notification and flashing light on your dash at all times then? I thought there was an option to turn off the tpms? Maybe not.
without TPMS on aftermarket, yes you will get light on your dash.
Old 05-18-10, 12:10 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if people could take the LED for that indicator light out. Kind of a workaround, but just a though.
Old 05-18-10, 12:41 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Please don't do the "pipe bomb." Last year in a two month span I had three separate nails in my rear tires, and in February I had another flat while driving on the freeway. Looking at the tires, I would have never known they were low on air - they looked exactly the same as they do when fully inflated. The ONLY REASON I knew they were low on air was the TPMS warning I got on the dashboard, which saved me from driving on and most certainly ruining my wheels. Please please please run your TPMS - you paid for them, and with iForged selling the set of TPMS adapters that will fix this problem on ANY wheel for as cheap as $35, there's really no reason not to.

Javier
Old 05-18-10, 12:48 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

For me, TPMS is very important. Case in point, one day coming home from work the TPMS light went off when I started the car. I walked around to check the tires but didn't see anything physically wrong (my mistake). When I got on the freeway I noticed one of the tires didn't sound right when I drive over those lane reflectors. I remembered the TPMS light going off and pulled over to the right most lane. A few seconds later, the passenger rear tire blew out. I was able to pull over immediately and not damage the aftermarket wheel. It's up to you, but this is what I have in my wheels. Works perfect.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 05-18-10 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 12:57 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Aren't some aftermarket wheels just inherently incompatible with TPMS? Or can you always drill and find a way to make it work?
Old 05-18-10, 03:03 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Please don't do the "pipe bomb." Last year in a two month span I had three separate nails in my rear tires, and in February I had another flat while driving on the freeway. Looking at the tires, I would have never known they were low on air - they looked exactly the same as they do when fully inflated. The ONLY REASON I knew they were low on air was the TPMS warning I got on the dashboard, which saved me from driving on and most certainly ruining my wheels. Please please please run your TPMS - you paid for them, and with iForged selling the set of TPMS adapters that will fix this problem on ANY wheel for as cheap as $35, there's really no reason not to.

Javier
what are these? All I know is tirerack whats $400 for TPMS installed on the wheels
Old 05-18-10, 05:56 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I was referring to TPMS adapters that allow you to transfer the TPMS in your stock wheels into your aftermarket wheels. You're talking about an extra set of TPMS sensors, which are much more expensive.

Javier
Old 05-18-10, 07:14 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I just got a set of Work wheels and had them drill the extra hole for the TPMS. Like the others said, better safe than sorry. As far as just taking the LED out, so you don't see the light, it won't work. When you have a low tire, the orange triangle also lights up as well as the display in the middle showing "low tire".
Old 05-19-10, 01:54 PM
Feb30th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I was referring to TPMS adapters that allow you to transfer the TPMS in your stock wheels into your aftermarket wheels. You're talking about an extra set of TPMS sensors, which are much more expensive.

Javier
Do you need these adapters even though your aftermarket wheels is TPMS compatible?
Old 05-19-10, 02:06 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^No, if your aftermarket wheels are TPMS compatible there's no need for the adapters.

Javier

Quick Reply: Tpms on aftermarket wheels