IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 11:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by intekmdma
Is this for all vehicles or just Lexus? Because my whole life i've been swapping out all the oil and filter every 5k w/ synthetic and it's getting really expensive >.>
So you've been wasting money every 5k miles?

STOP.

Changing synthetic that often is literally pouring money down the drain.

Even a regular syn like Mobil 1 should be good at least 10k miles in a 2IS... a really good synthetic like Amsoil will be fine with 1 yr/25k mile changes.
Old 08-21-09, 12:12 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

STOP.

Even a regular syn like Mobil 1 should be good at least 10k miles in a 2IS... a really good synthetic like Amsoil will be fine with 1 yr/25k mile changes.

You should really STOP giving this advice. Changing the oil every 5K miles (as advised) certainly will not hurt anything. And it's relatively cheap compared to engine problems down the road. You might get away with changing your oil every 10K miles, but recommending to someone else to have them change their oil every 25K miles is very irresponsible (yes, even with amsoil which i'm familiar with. I have done a LARGE amount of oil research, and only run MOBIL1 synthetic myself).

Call up your dealership (or three), ask them. Do you own research, rely on that information. But don't go on someone else's recommendation to under service your car on something as simple as an oil change. Learn to change it yourself, and enjoy those savings! Best of luck!
Old 08-21-09, 12:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

STOP.

Based on what? Iron levels after 25k miles are going to be ridiculous. If you're NOT doing a UOA you would be a fool to run that long. If you typically drive less than 15 minutes you would be a fool to follow that schedule period.

Extended drain intervals are great, and I've been doing them for a long time, but I would NEVER consider it without doing used oil analysis to confirm what I believe to be true.
Old 08-21-09, 12:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 09BSP250
This is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I've done with my cars for the past 10 years. Every 5k (3k actually, on mustangs) i change the oil, and every 2 oil changes (10K) i change the filter. This makes far more sense to me. The oil DOES need to be maintained more frequently (for those who pamper their cars), but it is overly wasteful to change the filter every time. I would recommend against going 10K between changing the oil.
Call up Red Line and ask them what they recommend. I guarantee you they'll say change the filter on the manufacturer's schedule regardless of whether you change the oil or not.

You would recommend against a 10k OCI? Based on what? Because it make you feel better or because you have analysis data to back up your claim? I (and others on this site) have analysis data validating a 10k OCI on Mobil 1 5w-20 in and IS350. Throwing away a load of synthetic at 5k for street driving under normal conditions is a waste of money.
Old 08-21-09, 12:17 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Call up Red Line and ask them what they recommend. I guarantee you they'll say change the filter on the manufacturer's schedule regardless of whether you change the oil or not.
Agreed. I'm arguing for doing more oil changes / filter changes, than not. My point however, was that changing the oil every 5K miles is more important than the filter.
Old 08-21-09, 12:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Agreed. I'm arguing for doing more oil changes / filter changes, than not. My point however, was that changing the oil every 5K miles is more important than the filter.
No it isn't. See post above. Also, data here.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-21-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 12:22 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No it isn't. See post above.
OK, to be more correct... If you're using Amsoil then it has better properties than normal oil (for breaking down, temperature limits, etc) then perhaps that is true. However, in the real world most people aren't using this (you can't get amsoil outside of mail delivery to my knowledge, or it used to be this way a few years ago). Since most people use "normal" oil, I believe it is far more valuable to change the oil than the filter. Most car owner manuals will tell you to change the oil every time, and the filter every other time.

edit: lobuxracer: I read your link. I certainly can't argue an oil analysis. However, I'm still of the opinion that changing the oil every 5K miles is a good preventative care measure. It seems there is a good debate here, however, for the low cost i'll personally continue to change every 5K. Thanks for the link though!

Last edited by 09BSP250; 08-21-09 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 12:25 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

This is exactly the OPPOSITE of what I've done with my cars for the past 10 years. Every 5k (3k actually, on mustangs) i change the oil, and every 2 oil changes (10K) i change the filter. This makes far more sense to me. The oil DOES need to be maintained more frequently (for those who pamper their cars), but it is overly wasteful to change the filter every time. I would recommend against going 10K between changing the oil.
Thanks for your reccomendation, but I'll keep doing exactly what I'm doing now, thank you very much. Why in the world would I bother to change the oil and not the oil filter? I've never heard that anywhere before, and it doesn't make much sense to me. I've done (and posted) UOA's from Blackstone to test my 10,000 mile OCI, and they've gone as far as to say I'm changing my oil too frequently.

Javier
Old 08-21-09, 12:31 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Thanks for your reccomendation, but I'll keep doing exactly what I'm doing now, thank you very much. Why in the world would I bother to change the oil and not the oil filter? I've never heard that anywhere before, and it doesn't make much sense to me. I've done (and posted) UOA's from Blackstone to test my 10,000 mile OCI, and they've gone as far as to say I'm changing my oil too frequently.

Javier

Hey Javier: I think the mentality would be that you don't want to run with contaminants in your oil, which add up over time. The filter removes the iron particles, and when you replace it at 5K miles, your oil is still used (if you changed just the oil, then you would have new oil and a filter which should still be functionally working). This is my first lexus (i've owned 3 mustangs in the past), so i'll try to read around a bit more before replying so quickly. I guess I've just always been the guy who changed his oil/filter every 3K on his mustang, cause I love my cars. I've also never had a single power-train issue. I'll read up more on this 10K OCI thing, thanks!

edit: and I certainly can't fault your testing of your own oil. If you're taking that step in analysis, then it sounds like you're taking more than enough care of your car.

edit2: Your iron levels look a little high on your test. I have no idea what is acceptable, but your level is more than normal, and I am under the impression this is the most important factor....?....

edit3: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4628508-post69.html Read the comments section. This is the sole reason i'll continue with 5K oil/filter changes.

Last edited by 09BSP250; 08-21-09 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 01:51 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd rather stick to reading the comments on MY Blackstone analysis - that's why I pay for them. True, iron was a bit high on the first one, but it leveled off on the next. Everything else was normal, and Blackstone's comment to me on that very UOA was to stay at a 10,000 mile OCI. In a subsequent UOA they advised me to try a 12,000 OCI. There's absolutely no reason for me to change my oil more frequently than that. The reason I change the oil filter at 5,000 is because the filter may lose some of its ability to purify, but the oil is still serviceable. I probably don't need to do that, but it's really easy to do, doesn't cost much, and provides me with extra peace of mind.

Javier
Old 08-21-09, 01:55 PM
intekmdma
Driver

I do have a question, i've been using mobil1 synthetic oil on my vw and i noticed that my engine gets sluggish if I don't do an oil change +6-7k miles. do you guys think maybe it's just the engine build of that particular car?

(oh an is amsoil that great? I've seen them, box loads at the tuner shops i go to but didn't think about it till now)
Old 08-21-09, 02:08 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I'd rather stick to reading the comments on MY Blackstone analysis - that's why I pay for them. True, iron was a bit high on the first one, but it leveled off on the next. Everything else was normal, and Blackstone's comment to me on that very UOA was to stay at a 10,000 mile OCI. In a subsequent UOA they advised me to try a 12,000 OCI. There's absolutely no reason for me to change my oil more frequently than that. The reason I change the oil filter at 5,000 is because the filter may lose some of its ability to purify, but the oil is still serviceable. I probably don't need to do that, but it's really easy to do, doesn't cost much, and provides me with extra peace of mind.

Javier
Well, your iron levels were even higher than the one I reference (I referenced the other report, because Blackstone themselves admitted the levels were high). I scrolled through the other thread, but didn't see you post new results... What was your iron count on the next? You know, using a quality oil, you're probably more than fine and we're just going over the finer points. However, a higher iron level does mean more wear and tear on your engine. Perhaps debatable from there if it has some impact, or none at all at your levels. And the peace of mind thing, is why I do oil&filter @ 5K. So I certainly understand that. I guess it comes down to the idea that i'm willing to kick in the extra $50/year to change both every 5K miles to avoid higher iron levels. To each their own! Guess what else? I'm leasing my IS250!
Old 08-21-09, 02:13 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting information here. Oil/filter discussions never gets old. I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 w/Mobil 1 filter for the last 6 years or so on my cars and change them between 8k-9k.

I just think it's preference on when to change your oil and filter. If people feel better about changing every 5k on synthetic, then so be it. I think it's wasting but it doesn't harm the vehicle in any way, so it's a waste to give someone a hard time when they are not harming their vehicle. Now, changing your oil between 15k-25k like someone mentioned earlier...that's crazy and I think it's appropriate to tell that person that maybe it's not a good idea to do that.

Mobil 1 products all the way! =)
Old 08-21-09, 02:21 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by intekmdma
I do have a question, i've been using mobil1 synthetic oil on my vw and i noticed that my engine gets sluggish if I don't do an oil change +6-7k miles. do you guys think maybe it's just the engine build of that particular car?

(oh an is amsoil that great? I've seen them, box loads at the tuner shops i go to but didn't think about it till now)
Amsoil is very good. Arguably the best (if you ask them). Mobil1 argues that they don't compare their oil on fair grounds (ie, presenting tests that aren't the standard for the auto industry). Read up on both amsoil's website, and mobil1's website. They'll both give arguments for their side. There was a study I saw a few years ago using the industry tests which showed amsoil to do better on some tests, and worse on others. I like mobil1 because they're a larger company and more accountable for 'real' tests/resutls. But certainly read up on both. Also, unfortunately, I don't think the oil change interval would have anything to do with sluggishness (if you truely think it has come and go more than once from changing the oil). Change your air filter? Any error codes? Transmission running smoothly otherwise?
Old 08-21-09, 02:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I like Mobil 1 for my NA engines because I can get it at Wal-Mart, so it's pretty unlikely I'll have an issue finding oil if I need some and I'm out near the middle of nowhere.

I run Red Line in my Supra because plain bearing turbos live and die by film strength. I think ideally I'd have two separate oiling systems on a turbo engine because they are so hard on oil. But I still get 10k OCIs on the Supra. They just cost a lot more than Mobil 1.

If you believe your engine is running sluggishly and an oil change fixes it, there's something wrong. VW has very specific oil requirements - I spent a good hour night before last reading up on oil related issues for VW oil standards on BITOG. Their oil standards are unlike any other manufacturer. This alone would give me pause if considering an VW/Audi for my daily driver.

Quick Reply: oil filter change