IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why aftermarket nav is so much better than OEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 04:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Why aftermarket nav is so much better than OEM

Moved to a new thread as a mod didn't like it being discussed in the one it was in-

Prior posts in the thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...igation-2.html

Originally Posted by smokyis350

lol.. what are we in? a civic? I use to do stuff like this on my old car and it was a ricer.. last time I remember we are in a Lexus..
Yes...which is why it's pathetic the OEM system is so lacking in modern features... it's a lexus, it shouldn't do less than a $200 garmin from 5 years ago...but it does.

Regardless, it still doesn't give it the "Clean" look and luxury feel to our cars. Not to mention, the possibility of people breaking into your car for that.
And the second picture I provided looks completely OEM, yet still uses an aftermarket nav that does a slew more things, and better.

Nobody is going to break in for something that looks factory after all.

O really? From what I remember you can barely name 10 things that is far more superior than the OEM navi.
So you think it was a good idea to spend $2200 more than I did to have a nav that only sucks in -10- ways compared to Garmin instead of 11?

From what I remember, we are in a luxury car? Do you even know what a luxury car is? Maybe you might need some help. According to dictionary.com luxury is: free or habitual indulgence in or enjoyment of comforts and pleasures in addition to those necessary for a reasonable standard of well-being:
Right... which is why the glaring lack of modern features in the OEM nav is so horrible...especially with the insane price they charge for it. The nav in the Infinity G, 4 years ago, did more and cost half as much... let alone how much better an aftermarket unit is.

My neck works great too but lets not forget we are in a compact sedan. When I am parked next to a SUV i can not see if there is car coming or not. Therefore, I rely on the backup camera to tell me if there are any cars or people.
No you can't.

The backup camera shows what is directly behind you... it doesn't show if a car is coming parallel to your car. So unless you're physically incapable of looking behind you you're not getting any benefit.... and if you are, the parking sensors work great and cost $400 instead of $2500. Or, again, if your neck really is broken, you can add a rear view cam to many aftermarket navs. Heck you can probably even use the OEM rear view camera if you're that obsessed with sticking to Lexus parts, and still save a bundle displaying it on the aftermarket nav.

So you have to press accept call from your navi on the dash and then press mute.. that is awesome..
Yup... I have to press a second button once in a while when I get a call.

Unlike you who have to press a second button (well, screen touch) all the time to change any functions on the radio, climate control, etc...all of which I do in 1 button on my physical non-nav controls.

How? You have to connect your navi to the aux jack now?
I could.... or I can do it via FM if I want... or I can just use the built in speaker... all depends what I want to do. Since the Garmin can play mp3s and audiobooks the FM route isn't bad for that since it'll play nicely through my ML system too.

Where? Am I blind but I don't see it.
You must be. Track, title, artist, album, mp3 tags, etc info all display on the non-nav radio just fine from CDs. And of course info displays on the Garmin if you're playing mp3s or audiobooks stored on it.

I have been doing this for nearly 1 year. Seems pretty safe to me.
And yet it's so dangerous some states have passed laws making it illegal.

Watching a movie, rather than the road, while driving a car is idiotic. Period.

That is good for you. Maybe I am smart enough to know how much is 100 feet..

I thought this was a Luxury car? Now you have to figure out distances in your head and hope there's not two streets really close to each other since the OEM nav is too dumb to tell you street names like my Garmin?

It's odd how you make "it's not that hard to do it myself" excuses for all the shortcomings of the OEM unit, but if I mention I can just turn my neck to see behind me, that's not luxury.

ok good. you give us a article that is from 2 years ago..
Yeah, that article was from when the economy was doing well, and even then it said Nav was bad for resale, and nobody cared to pay any extra for a used car with the feature. Now the economy is considerably worse, you think people are MORE likely to want to overpay for a used car with an outdated nav system that does less than a $200 unit? Uh, no.

Last edited by Kurtz; 07-13-09 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-12-09, 04:15 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in the end, the reason why i went oem is because aftermarket will never look as clean as oem. aftermarket just looks out of place in the 2is.

aftermarket is obviously better beyond the clean look.
Old 07-12-09, 04:22 PM
apMango
Rookie

compelling points, and i have to agree, aftermarket parts are greater than oem **** that lexus gives...
Old 07-12-09, 04:52 PM
2009LEX
Driver

Whats amazing is the level kurtz will go or stoop to in order to make his opinion known. At the end of the day no one cares kurtz. Either you like the nav or don't. Now how can this thread not get closed?

Next thread you should start is the magnusson moss act.

LOL!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-12-09 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Insult removed
Old 07-12-09, 05:01 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Damn so much tension in the previous thread.
Old 07-12-09, 05:09 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Moved to a new thread as a mod didn't like it being discussed in the one it was in-

Prior posts in the thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...igation-2.html
wow you got too much times on your hands don't you?

Yes...which is why it's pathetic the OEM system is so lacking in modern features... it's a lexus, it shouldn't do less than a $200 garmin from 5 years ago...but it does.
Yes, and it is still lacking features from the OEM navi from Lexus. I use to have a 885T Garmin on my 335 and let me tell you. It sucks compared to the OEM navi on the Lexus.

And the second picture I provided looks completely OEM, yet still uses an aftermarket nav that does a slew more things, and better.

Nobody is going to break in for something that looks factory after all.

Looks OEM? You must be pretty brilliant if you think it looks OEM.

So you think it was a good idea to spend $2200 more than I did to have a nav that only sucks in -10- ways compared to Garmin instead of 11?
You can name 10 pros on your Garmin over the OEM nav and I can name 10 pro over your Garmin so what's your point?

Right... which is why the glaring lack of modern features in the OEM nav is so horrible...especially with the insane price they charge for it. The nav in the Infinity G, 4 years ago, did more and cost half as much... let alone how much better an aftermarket unit is.
What is a Infinity? I don't know any car name Infinity sorry..

The backup camera shows what is directly behind you... it doesn't show if a car is coming parallel to your car. So unless you're physically incapable of looking behind you you're not getting any benefit.... and if you are, the parking sensors work great and cost $400 instead of $2500. Or, again, if your neck really is broken, you can add a rear view cam to many aftermarket navs. Heck you can probably even use the OEM rear view camera if you're that obsessed with sticking to Lexus parts, and still save a bundle displaying it on the aftermarket nav.
Have you ever used the backup camera before? I don't think so because it is a wide angle camera.

And yet it's so dangerous some states have passed laws making it illegal.

Watching a movie, rather than the road, while driving a car is idiotic. Period.
Maybe you don't have any friends because he stated that his "friends" watches it when he is on long trips. You forgot to quote his whole quote from the previous thread..?

I thought this was a Luxury car? Now you have to figure out distances in your head and hope there's not two streets really close to each other since the OEM nav is too dumb to tell you street names like my Garmin?
And how would you know the street names when you are not even familiar with the place? I use to have a Garmin and I know exactly how it is. Yes, it tells you the street name but you don't even have time to read the street sometimes when you are focusing on driving.

Last edited by Phiber; 07-12-09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 05:21 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
And how would you know the street names when you are not even familiar with the place? I use to have a Garmin and I know exactly how it is. Yes, it tells you the street name but you don't even have time to read the street sometimes when you are focusing on driving.
Very True.

All i have to say is OEM has it's pro and cons and so does any aftermarket.

I don't use the Navi much except looking for a freeway entrance, the nearest gas station, and mostly the backup camera. I can't park for beans driving for 4 plus years and i love my backup camera.
Old 07-12-09, 05:21 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

OEM navigation looks a lot cleaner.I've gotten great use out of my rear view camera......but different strokes for different folks.

Getting a Lexus w/ OEM navigation shouldn't be that more expensive vs. one w/o; you just got to know how to negotiate with the dealer.

Last edited by Little E; 07-12-09 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 05:29 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Little E
OEM navigation looks a lot cleaner.I've gotten great use out of my rear view camera......but different strokes for different folks.

Getting a Lexus w/ OEM navigation shouldn't be that more expensive vs. one w/o; you just got to know how to negotiate with the dealer.
I agree~!
I got hella deal on my IS with Nav..you just gotta find the right sales man
OEM Nav looks a lot cleaner for sure..but it's true that some of its features could be improved little more
Old 07-12-09, 06:49 PM
J_Hao
Driver

just wondering why people could spend 40k on the car but not a little more 1-2k on a navigation plus camera and bluetooth. the OEM navi does look a lot cleaner.
Old 07-12-09, 06:58 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009LEX
At the end of the day no one cares kurtz!

oh man too funny
Old 07-12-09, 06:58 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Yup... I have to press a second button once in a while when I get a call.

Unlike you who have to press a second button (well, screen touch) all the time to change any functions on the radio, climate control, etc...all of which I do in 1 button on my physical non-nav controls.

wrong. there are physical buttons as well as push screen buttons for the climate/radio.
Old 07-12-09, 07:06 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Little E

I forgot about that. I got my car at below invoice. Practically I am paying close to $1000-$1500 for navi.
Old 07-12-09, 07:13 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J_Hao
just wondering why people could spend 40k on the car but not a little more 1-2k on a navigation plus camera and bluetooth. the OEM navi does look a lot cleaner.
Because some people don't need NAV or they might want more features that aftermarket NAVs have. The same could be said about the IS250 if we were to use that logic, but most IS250 people probably don't want or need the extra power. Maybe they want better MPG. The list could go on and on...
Old 07-12-09, 07:21 PM
J_Hao
Driver

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Because some people don't need NAV or they might want more features that aftermarket NAVs have. The same could be said about the IS250 if we were to use that logic, but most IS250 people probably don't want or need the extra power. Maybe they want better MPG. The list could go on and on...
that's true..lol...

Quick Reply: Why aftermarket nav is so much better than OEM